• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nikon 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.4

TaxiLab127

Earning My Ears
Which lens would you choose and why? I know the wider aperture is better for dark rides. Is there a reason to get the 35mm instead? TIA!

I'm not a Nikon shooter so cannot address the optics of either of those lenses. As for the focal length, on a full frame camera, either is likely to be useful. I skew toward wider so would probably prefer the 35mm myself.

I shoot with a full frame Canon and love my Sigma 35mm f/1.4. That offers me the wider field of view coupled with the faster 1.4 aperture.

I had been shooting with a 30mm f/1.4 on a crop sensor for some time. I really enjoyed having a wider fast lens (because of my upgrade to FF) for a change of pace.

I recently had the same debate. I had a Nikon 50m f1.4 AF-D that was way too soft for me, so I decided to move to the better rated AF-S models... the question was "1.4 or 1.8"? This review by Thom Hogan, whose advice I've found to be very good, made the decision for me:
It is a better lens both in the center and especially in the corners than the 50mm f/1.8D it replaces. Significantly so, in my opinion. The f/1.4G to f/1.8G comparison is a little more interesting: the f/1.8G might beat its bigger brother in the central area (slightly off center in my sample) but the f/1.4G wins the corner battle at f/1.8. In other words, at f/1.8 to about f/2.4, it's a close battle, but the more expensive lens has more edge-to-edge consistency about it. To get to optimum results with this new lens, you need to stop all the way down to f/5.6 on DX, f/8 on FX, where it is excellent to superb from corner to corner. So the sharpness game is a mixed bag: the new f/1.8G beats its predecessor wide open, but is a step behind it's more expensive f/1.4G brother at f/1.8.
I shoot FX now... so I picked a great used AF-S 1.4 for $225 at the local dealer!

Thanks everyone. I am going to go with the 50mm f/1.4. I will post some pics when I return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter