Night life on board

Iceman10

Mouseketeer
Okay so last week we were on our 5th or 6th Disney Cruise. We've done 4, 5, 7 and 14 night cruises.
Is it me or does the night life simply suck on Disney Cruise Line?? I'm not looking for Vegas or South Beach (as much as I like those) but I mean, come 11pm, everyone is gone and God forbid people actually dance. AND the "themes" have not changed in 8 years! I hate disco night!

I'm well aware that many have little ones, but the kids clubs are open til 12 and even 1am on some nights and there were many Teens on this last cruise.

Oh well I guess I'm jaded but was curious if anyone else fealt the same way.

I did my first DCL 5 day earlier this month. I thought the adult only night life totally lacked. My wife and I went in some of the places and we had to ask if they were closed. I was surprised because when I was researching the cruise I saw a poster get bashed for saying the ship rolls up at 11pm. He was right. I didn't matter to me too much because when I have the kids with me on vacation we get worn down by 9pm anyway. I'm not one for leaving my kids in the kids club until closing.

I think it really depends on when you go and if other people on the ship stay up late as well. Now I'm not saying the nightlife is great on the ship, but on 8 of my cruises people were in Rockin' Bar D/Wavebands till 11:30am or so and then started to clear out, expect for Karaoke night I've seen people there till the end of that so till about 1:30am or so, then again there was one karaoke where there were like 5 people, bartenders got up and sang on that cruise:lmao:

On our last cruise in March, it was us and another couple closing down Rockin' Bar D every night. We then would go up on deck to continue the party - LOL! We made the best of it, but it would be nice if there was somewhere to go late nite to get a bite to eat. I had to go back to the room and wait for room service.

I liked the quiet time at night on deck. It was fun to just hang out with hubby or my mom by the pool and talk quietly or play cards. Don't get me wrong, dancing is fun too and I did notice there wasn't a lot of that going on. Maybe with the new ships that will change a little.:confused3

It really does depend on who is on the ship. We always travel with at least 3 other families so we are a party in ourselves. (10/05 we were alone in Rockin Bar D a few nights so we had a jammie dancing parties) Now that we are comfortable on board, it's the people that make the cruise for us.

All answers very true. I started wondering if some of it may also be the length of the cruise or how many sea days you get. As I can certainly understand that if you have early excusions you need to get to sleep.

Last December was our first cruise and we thought the nightlife was amazing. The DH and I are not "club" type people but we really thought it was wonderful. We stayed out past midnight every night dancing and kareoke and all sorts of things.

I hope this December's cruise is just as great!:thumbsup2

I hope there is more on the Dream. I remember one night we stayed out "late" and had a few drinks then danced a little. When we decided to head back we realized it was SILENT outside of the adult area. It was like a horror movie - like we were the only ones left!! :scared1: We snuck back to our room whispering to each other that we couldn't believe it was so quiet at midnight!

I didn't matter to me too much because when I have the kids with me on vacation we get worn down by 9pm anyway. I'm not one for leaving my kids in the kids club until closing.

I think this would be the answer for us. We are going on our first cruise this October, and we see ourselves being absolutely worn out by this time. Also, we are not leaving our DD12 in the room by herself. So we will be some of the missing people from night life. We will probably be hanging out by the pool for night swimming, which we love to do.

Boy am I in favor of this thread! We had guests with us last year that have actually CANCELLED their upcoming ressie because of lack of adult entertainment at night! Although I wouldn't cancel (we are booked on the Dream early next year) I do agree with them. We saw 11-15 people in the karaoke place and that and less in the lounge with the piano player.

The cruise line really needs to provide some entertainment at night. In the early days of DCL there were comedians, ventriloquists, magicians etc. Also it would be nice to get a decent bite to eat between midnight and 1AM Someone said that Cove did have some food but we didn't see it and it certainly wasn't publicized very much if they did have food. Also the lounge and Cove Cafe (upstairs) had NO ONE in them when we went it. Huge waste of unused space.
I too don't need Vegas or SB, but SOMETHING would be sooo nice and appreciated! Hopefully SOMEONE in DCL hears this plea!

I'm guessing DCL keeps a close eye on attendance at all the events and feedback on the comment cards. Their activities are probably based heavily on these observations. This topic has come up so many times I'm waiting for flies to gather over the horse. It is often pointed out that many in the DCL crowd are early to bed, early to rise types...so no need for alot of late night stuff. Different lines cater to different crowds, DCL is simply giving their guests (the majority I would bet) what they want.

No doubt they do keep tabs on things. However, some of these were cut off during the downsizing/cost cutting era - and it is evident. Not all on board have young children. We are grandparents and when we have the kids we don't do the nightlife thing either, unless the parents are along and then we trade nights. I have also noticed more young couples sans kids lately on the DCL ships too. Carnival it ain't (thank goodness) but the guest list seems more diverse than in the past. Hope a few small accommodations could be made.

We have been on 2 cruises and agree that the nightlife is lacking at best. I am more of pub guy and would rather drink my beer while watching the ball game or just hang out. Not into the club scene. That being said, when we would go the sport bar and order drinks, the bartender would smile, give us our drinks, and go back to wiping out glasses. Anywhere else on the ship, the servers are always trying to engage you in a conversation about your trip. Asking about the kids, where are you from, is this your first Disney cruise and on and on. Why the frosty, but polite, service in the pub?

It almost seems as if Disney is trying to discourage people from hanging out at the pub.

There is no night life to speak of on Disney ships after 11 PM. I'm not a couple and I'll do the dancing bit if there are other non-couples on the floor but if it's just couples I won't. I also avoid karaoke like the plague, but it's a cruise ship staple.

I've always had good service from the bartenders in the pub. One from my May 2009 cruise made a point of saying hello on the Baltic cruise this June even though he'd been reassigned to Rockin' Bar D. I didn't spend much time in Diversions on the Baltic because it was mostly given over to World Cup viewing and that didn't interest me at all.

Disney used to employ a "pubmaster" and schedule adult activities in Diversions, but that position was cut after 2007.

It realy does matter who you cruise with. Last Oct we traveled with about 30 families that we have gotten to know on prior cruises and we had a great time at night. We closed the bars down and continued on deck or in someone's room. Most of us are going in Oct again and will beclosing the places down. Of course we are mostly empty nesters that do not have to worry about the kids. :goodvibes

I agree that the nightlife is pretty lacking, but as others have said, it was true for us that we were so tired by about 10 pm that we were headed to bed. We also didn't want to leave our little one in the clubs that late--he's only 4 so even staying out 'til 9 pm is late for him.

I guess I'm saying that I would have thought the lack of nightlife would bother me more than it did--guess that means I'm old! :rotfl:

It's definitely never been a real negative for us, but we (just DH & I, no kids) wish for a least some more activities. What's tougher for us is that we don't enjoy dancing, so there's really nothing for us to do unless we want to just sit in a quiet bar, drink, and maybe play a board game. That gets old, fast.

We wish they'd do a REAL pub trivia game (not the disney ones). Sort along the lines of the "Geeks who Drink" trivia night at local bars. On our first cruise we went to one thing that was advertised as a pub trivia game. There were actually a lot of people there. But it was just a few questions, a skit, which the crowd was really enjoying. But then like 10-15 minutes into it, they basically said, "Now c'mon over to Wavebands for the dance party!" We were so disappointed.

I truly miss the dueling piano bar that was onboard way back when. That place was in the area now occupued by Diversions. It always seemed to be busy. DH and I do enjoy the nightlife, our way...when DD is in the club, we are up on deck enjoying the peaceful night, stars, breeze. We don't usually go out to clubs while on land, but do pop in the clubs from time to time. If there was a deuling piano bar, I would be in there every night! May be a great comedy club onboard the Dream?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter