• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Night before boarding

sonogirl

<font color=FF66FF>Fan of the Disney World Snake t
What are all the benefits of staying at the Hyatt at MCO vs a hotel near the airport the night before boarding the ship?
Thanks, Lori

Hyatt MCO is so easy. Plane to hotel to dcl bus. Where a different hotel has one extra step plane to hotel bus to hotel to hotel bus to dcl bus. So depending on your timing and group, convenience of one less step may matter.
There used to be a luggage pick up at the Hyatt but I can’t confirm that (stayed pre Covid).

The main advantage, outside of the nice pool and good restaurant for the evening meal, is getting into your room just a few minutes after getting off the plane, without having to get your luggage onto a shuttle after finding the right spot to catch it, calling the hotel or waiting for it to show up. That can add 30-60 minutes to your already long travel time, and you‘ll need to do the opposite on the day of the cruise. Meanwhile, from the Hyatt, you just go downstairs and get on the bus.

What are all the benefits of staying at the Hyatt at MCO vs a hotel near the airport the night before boarding the ship?
Thanks, Lori

So, never done the Hyatt, but I have stayed at another hotel near the airport (1 time).

We had a free shuttle to the hotel, which was nice. Then the morning of, I did a shared shuttle to the boat (so did not go back to the airport), which was awful, but not difficult.

This hotel was probably half the cost of the Hyatt and the shared shuttle was pretty cheap too. Also, we were right near a large shopping area, so we had plenty of options for dinner that weren't airport food.

These days, we always rent a car and stay by the port, but I recognize for people arriving later in the day, it makes sense to stay by the airport.

Does the Airport Hyatt still take your luggage in the morning and transport it to the port so you only have your carry on luggage when you board the DCL bus? Haven't said at the Hyatt in few years.

They took my luggage in December of last year. You just leave it in your room at the Hyatt. Also, there is a DCL check in area in the Lobby. They check your reservations and ID and you wait there and they call you according to which bus you are put on. I was on the Minnie Bus. But thought they meant a mini bus! It’s SO smooth and seamless. And the restaurant is great. Nice and calm, unlike the Food Court.

The biggest perk of the Hyatt is in combination with DCL Transfers. If you have planned different transportation to the port, the Hyatt may not have as big a draw especially if the rate is high.

We always stay at the Hyatt in mco, but we choose airport transfers from DCL. Get to sleep in, keeping your luggage with you, going down to check in when you want. In April we talked to a family and they were checking in for DCL transfers from the Hyatt, we had a nice leisurely breakfast and they were still sitting in the lobby waiting for a bus after about an hour.
We went up to our room, got our bags, went down to check-in and we were on a bus to the port in less than 15minutes. So easy!!

So you didn’t do the 30 day online check in?
Everyone has to do the online check in. That is for more than just for getting a port arrival time. It is where you upload you passport, etc. If you choose the Disney transportation option, then it just bypasses you picking your PAT. But everything else is the same.

We typically either stay at the Boardwalk the night before, another DVC resort, or the Hyatt. We love the Boardwalk, so that's always our first choice, but the later the flight, the more likely we will stay at the Hyatt. Overall, it's been a good experience. Very nice rooms. Easy to get downstairs and onto the bus.

I get the idea it may be cheaper to stay at another airport or hotel near the port, but for the overall cost of the trip, even an extra $100 sadly is just another drop in the bucket.

I'm too cheap to stay at the Hyatt; there are dozens of quality hotels right outside the airport with free shuttles and I don't think it is that much of a hassle compared to the cost of staying in the airport. Plus, I usually have Hilton Honors points so my family has stayed at the Homewood Suites on several occasions. They have a half-court basketball setup outside that my oldest son and I use to shoot hoops in the morning while my wife is getting ready. It is funny how quickly you can establish traditions!

I think it depends on your travel party. If you have kids (especially ones still in 5 pt restraints) there's something nice about not having to haul them off site to get them to the port the next day.
An all adult party, that's different.

I've done it both ways. Last time I sailed from Port Canaveral, we stayed at a hotel a mile from the airport. If I remember correctly, there was a shuttle and you'd check into the DCL check in time. I also stayed near the port before and while there was a shuttle from the hotel to the port, we had to pay for it :sad2: which we found out the hard way

I can't speak to the Hyatt at MCO. We stayed at one of the dozen or so hotels that are just off airport property on Augusta National Drive. They picked us up at MCO, and dropped us off right at the DCL bus stop at the airport the next day for free, and threw in a free breakfast for a whole lot less than the price of the Hyatt. The little bit of time we were in the shuttle coming and going as well worth the moneys savings.

The main advantage, outside of the nice pool and good restaurant for the evening meal, is getting into your room just a few minutes after getting off the plane, without having to get your luggage onto a shuttle after finding the right spot to catch it, calling the hotel or waiting for it to show up. That can add 30-60 minutes to your already long travel time, and you‘ll need to do the opposite on the day of the cruise. Meanwhile, from the Hyatt, you just go downstairs and get on the bus.
Absolutely this! We usually plan to get in a bit later (and the airline always makes sure that it's even later) so just walking a short distance to drop into your room is great. We don't bother with an early PAT so we get to sleep in (not too much as they will pick up luggage around 8 am), take our time for breakfast (and I like their breakfast at the restaurant at the top of the hotel) and then wander down to get the bus when we're done. No hauling luggage around in and out of shuttles, stressing about whether they'll show up on time and if I'm in the right place. Just very convenient. Yes, it's usually more expensive than some other hotels near and around the airport, but the convenience is totally worth it to us and we get Hyatt points.

We don't bother with an early PAT so we get to sleep in (not too much as they will pick up luggage around 8 am), take our time for breakfast (and I like their breakfast at the restaurant at the top of the hotel) and then wander down to get the bus when we're done.
When was the last time you did this? Since the restart there has been a DCL pick-up directly at the Hyatt Lobby with a set time. No luggage service to the DCL airport pick-up anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter