Nick Hotel = Tell a Disney Resort Vet about it!!

belle&sebastiansmom

DIS Veteran
Tell me about the Nickelodeon Hotel.

Specifically, we'd like to go in December, before Christmas. Every review I've read seems to talk a lot about the fantastic pool area. Since we won't be using the pool at this time, is it still worth it?

How much are the "extras" like the 4D movies? We probably will be at the theme parks during the day. Are most of the shows during the daytime hours?

Like all our family vacations, we center around our kids. We have several days of Disney tickets to use, and this is the first time I'm thinking of staying off Disney property and not using the Disney Dining Plan. Yep, I'm a little nervous about that! We've loved using the DDP and I wonder if it will cost more for our meals out of pocket? There is an online special now with a free buffet breakfast at Nick Hotel every morning of your stay. How is this restaurant?

We stayed there last Nov. it was nice but unless it's cheaper than staying on property I wouldn't bother since you said you won't be in the pool area anyway. Are you thinking you won't use it because of the weather in Dec.? Sometimes the weather in Dec. can suprise you I went one year and it was 95 degrees. The rooms are done up cute inside, but the outside halls had peeling paint and a whole bunch of gross squished caterpillers. You couldn't walk down the hall without stepping on them and my son got one stuck to his leg, needless to say he freaked out! :scared1: The food court has a few different places to eat like pizza, fries, ect. I thought it was too expensive for the food we got. I want to say the 4D movie was around $16 but if you go online I'm sure you could get the price. The other thing is you will definately need a car if you stay here. There is not anything within walking distance. They also have a resort/parking fee so make sure the price quoted is with all the fees. It was ok but now that we've done it we wont be going back. We just really like staying on property better.

We have stayed at the Nick Hotel a couple of times; once four years ago for 5 nights, then two years ago for two nights at the end of your on site stay. I have to say me kids always say they want to stay at the nick hotel. Besides the pool, they like having their own room with bunkbeds and their own tv. DS also likes the basketball court. I would suggest trying a stay there. The dining plan is not the value that it once was and I think you could eat without it for the same budget.

As PP said, December is still pretty warm in Orlando. Also the pool is heated! The 4D movie theater was added after we stayed there last. We're going in May and I planned on getting the "unlimited" ticket for the kids. As PP said, the hotel/motel is meh. So for the price, it's pretty not worth it. Unless you have Nick crazy kids you would love Nick themeing and seeing the characters and night time shows. We are going for the "resort" aspect this time. Last time we spent too much time at the parks and not enough at the hotel. We have done the DDP the past few times. Obviously since you're staying here, you can't get it. As PP said, the food is ok. But the kids just love the pizza.
-Virginia

We stayed in October several years ago. We went to the Publix down the street so we could make meals in our room. We ate at the resturaunt once or twice. It was ok. I would recommend staying there. The kids LOVED it.

Wouldnt stay there again for the money. Spent two nights there this past October and its an overpriced motel 6 in my opinion. Stay in a townhome or on Disney property and you'll be happier. All the extra activities are way overpriced and not much else to entertain. Food choices are horrible.

I havent stayed here but thinking about going in DEC/JAN when the prices are low. If you check travelocity they have rooms for $79 a night. Im not sure if they still have them but just budget in the resort fees and since you wont be going to the parks just use the hotel as your vacay.....It's still cheaper than Disney since you wont have to buy park tickets and if you want to do disney i'd do the give a day deal and just spend 1 day at Disney .

I would not stay at the Nick hotel for any longer than 1 or 2 nights. We've stayed twice to let the kids get their fill then moved on (to Disney or to DCL).

The cost is high for what you get and I can see it getting old after a couple of nights and not being worth it.

The 4D movies are short (~25min) and the price adds up. I want to say they were $5 per movie or you could get a full day pass for $11. I may be off on the prices.

The pool is great. Our last visit was at the end of Jan and the pool was heated to 86degrees. The air was ~70 but the pool water was beautiful. It was a cold run back to the room. For a reference point, we stayed the day we flew in and was 15degrees at our home airport at 10am. Just to be swimming that night was great.
I believe they do shut the slides down as it gets colder. They appeared to be off the day we were there. They also have it posted that they shut the entire pool down if it the air temp is below 50degrees. It must cost some big bucks to heat the pool at that temp!

The food is just ok. Unless you are going to the SpongeBob breakfast or don't mind a quick meal at PizzaHut/Subway, I'd go elsewhere.

The rooms are fine. They aren't fancy but plenty nice enough. My kids love the themed rooms.

Let's be honest, you go to the Nick hotel for the kid's. They will love it. It is over priced for a hotel and you can get cheaper and/or better elsewhere. But for a couple of nights, they kids will love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter