Nick Hotel Questions

Abbeysmom

Mouseketeer
We managed to book the Nick Hotel for a great deal using travelzoo for early March. We will spend two nights here and then move over to pop century for a few nights. We are planning on staying at the nick hotel the first night (hopefully have a few hours to play around for our 4 year old once we arrive) and then the following day we have character breakfast ressies at the hotel and are planning on going to Universal for a few hours. I know we will only have a few hours at the hotel each day, but just wondered if anyone could give me any tips on what to expect as far as how much there will be for our 4 year old to do. I'm sure she will enjoy the character meal, but wasn't sure exactly how much else there would be for someone her age.
Any tips or experiences you can give me would be appreciated!!
:goodvibes

I booked the same deal for President's day weekend. I've never stayed there before either. Does anybody know if they charge for parking on top of the $25 dollar per day resort fee? Is the internet access free? Do they still have a PS2 in every kid's room? Thanks in advance.

We've stayed there twice; our kids love it!

There is no additional charge for parking.

I believe there is a PS2 system in every room.

There are a lot of fun pool games for kids. They also have a miniature golf area and basketball courts near the pool area. There are two pool areas. One is for older kids (the slides let out into the pool), and other is geared toward younger kids (the water slides are separate from the pool).

One thing I would recommend is signing up for the evening shows as soon as you check in. Last time we stayed, all of the slots were filled up by the time we tried to get reservations, and we weren't able to go. They're free, but you do need a reservation.

I also wanted to add that the characters do wander around the lobby and food court areas quite often. We've never done a character meal there, but we've had plenty of interaction with Dora/Spongebob, etc.

One thing I would recommend is signing up for the evening shows as soon as you check in. Last time we stayed, all of the slots were filled up by the time we tried to get reservations, and we weren't able to go. They're free, but you do need a reservation

Thanks for the advice!! Exactly what type of shows do they have at night for the kids? Sounds like she will have a good time!!
Monica:goodvibes

If there is a PS2, what games can I expect? I'll probably bring games from home just in case.

What kind of shows are in the evenings? We'll probably be at the parks, so I don't know that I'll make reservations for those.

Thanks for the info. We check in on Valentines Day :)

Bump. Any more info? Come on people. I need assurance that we made the right decision.

We stayed there 2 years ago for my daughter's 5th birthday (one night in June, two days) then moved to another resort. She was a big fan of Nick characters at the time, and begged to stay there. I was hesitant because it was so expensive, but in the end I am glad we did it once.

I felt like we were paying so darn much to stay there that we just stayed at the Hotel the whole time and enjoyed all it had to offer. We stayed busy both days. She loved the free live Dora show, but like PP said, sign up as soon as you get to the resort. We also did the character breakfast and she enjoyed seeing all her favorite characters. If your child(ren) have a favorite Nick character, tell the front desk when you check in and they will try to put you in a room that is decorated with that character. My daughter's favorite at the time was Fairly Oddparents, and we got it. There were a lot of organized activities for the kids at the pool, and lots to do on our own. There was a "dig pit" she enjoyed, a huge arcade, and the pools were just great. She did not play video games like PSP at the time, so I don't remember anything to help you with that question. I think you will be happy with your choice. PM me if you have any specific questions.

The slime bucket drop at the pool is at 4 pm daily. It was the highlight of our 2 day stay there in '07. The kids loved it and we were in the pool from opening until closing.

If there is a PS2, what games can I expect? I'll probably bring games from home just in case.

What kind of shows are in the evenings? We'll probably be at the parks, so I don't know that I'll make reservations for those.

Thanks for the info. We check in on Valentines Day :)

We stayed there April 07 and are doing so again this April. Our kids had a ball. There was a PS2 game in their room, although we did not use it. I know you had to rent the games for a fee in the mall area I believe. Our kids were only 1, 3 and 5 last time, so they were too pooped from swimming all day and already asleep in the evening when the shows were going!!

We'll be staying at the Nick Hotel in May - can someone comment on the types of food that is available outside of the sit down restaurants - I beleive there is a food court and food by the pool? Also what is avaialble for breakfast?

Thanks,
Tammy

I believe there is a Subway or Quizno's as well.

We stayed at the Nick hotel a few years ago and my children still say it was the best vacation ever. There are activities, games and contests around the pool area all day. Most are free. I think if they wanted to do the arts and crafts it was $5. They even had a scuba class in the pool one day for older children. During the day the staff went around with a clip board signing up kids to participate in the evening show. We stayed home from the parks one day supposedly to relax and did not get to relax at all we were so busy participating. The food in the food court is all fast food and kind of yucky. But there is a small fridge in the room so you can grab some cold cuts at the store and make sandwiches.

There was no additional fee for parking. There are playstations in the rooms and you rent the games at guest relations. I don't know the charge. There was a pizza hut and subway in the dining area, along with an expensive restaurant. You must make reservations for the character breakfast in advance. The characters walk around the resort often.

Even if you can't check in until later I suggest you get to the desk as early as you can on your day of arrival and get a copy of the "Script." It is the listing of activities for the week. We were upgraded at no charge to a 2 bedroom poolside suite on the 2nd floor. I would request poolside if possible. Noisy, but you are in the midst of the action. Also call ahead to find out if either of the pools will be closed during your stay and then request a room accordingly. We go lucky but there were many families with poolside rooms around a closed pool.

The show at night is a family and audience participation show - 2 families selected earlier in the day (2 adults, 2 children 8 or older). You can fill out an application and then attend a "casting call" at 3 by the pool. The show was fun - my children were more upset that they weren't selected to participate. There is no way to select every child so more are left out than participate. It's a traditional Nick game show - each family answers questions and participates in challenges with the audiences help. In the end, someone gets slimed. You must register to attend. The show was free and there were 2 show times. The staff did a great job. At the daily games by the pool though, I think every child who was interested was chosen to participate.

Is it worth it for one night? If your rate is agreeable to you and you have time to spend enjoying the hotel and activities - then probably. My 5 year old son was so excited to arrive (it was a surprise), was very upset that he didn't get to go onstage, had fun at the pool, and asked if we could come back again for a night next year. My 10 year old daughter said it was interesting for a night but she would prefer the Disney water parks.

There are playstations in the rooms and you rent the games at guest relations. You must make reservations for the character breakfast in advance.

2 questions - can you bring your own PS2 games from home for use in the rooms? And, when you say to reserve the character b'fast in advance, do you mean like when you are still planning your trip, or upon check-in.

Oh wait, question #3 - does every single room have one of the characters adorning the walls, or do you have to reserve a "sponge bob suite" or whatever?

Thanks! :goodvibes

when you say to reserve the character b'fast in advance, do you mean like when you are still planning your trip, or upon check-in.

Hi.. I don't know about the other questions as I am the OP and haven't stayed yet, but I do know that we have already booked our character breakfast for one of the mornings we will be there. They didn't seem terribly booked.... I mean we had a few choices and it is only about a month away, but I would go ahead and book if you know you want it.. All she did is get my name ... didn't even need to guarantee it.
Monica

we stayed their about 2 years ago for 2 nights. Our boys were 5 and 7 at the time and big Nick fans. They loved it. The only complaint was the pools and especially the big interactive water towers were very cold. We inquired about it to the pool manager and she explained that the heating system that was put in was inadequate for the amount of water that had to be heated. It was very chilly when were there...temps in the 70's, so the cold water didn't feel so good. She apologized and recognized the problem, maybe they have fixed it by now. If you are going during a cooler time of year, this may be an issue.

2 questions - can you bring your own PS2 games from home for use in the rooms? And, when you say to reserve the character b'fast in advance, do you mean like when you are still planning your trip, or upon check-in.

Oh wait, question #3 - does every single room have one of the characters adorning the walls, or do you have to reserve a "sponge bob suite" or whatever?

Thanks! :goodvibes

Yes, you can bring your own games. You can book the character breakfast in advance up to 90 days.

I think all of the rooms have characters on the walls, but SpongeBob and Dora are more expensive!!;) So we just asked for another one last time. This year, we'll probably take what we get, depending on how busy it is, but I personally wouldn't pay more for SpongeBob!:)

Also, my DH hates cold pool water, and we didn't have a problem with it being too cold when we were there April 07.:goodvibes

You guys are all so great about giving good tips - I can't wait to go! The boys are so psyched from looking at the nick hotel website.

Abbeysmon - how did you find the travelzoo deal? I was looking on their site but couldn't find anything. If they have it, is it one of those hidden deals where you have to click on "Orlando Resort" or whatever to see which hotel it is, or do they throw the name right out there on the Orlando hotel page? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter