nice hotel in Charleston SC?

poohlover

Fireworks at Magic Kingdom!
I am taking my son to SC for a few nights, he will be visiting the Citadel, so I will be using the room. Need something nice, not too expensive.

Plus what is there for me to do by myself one day?? He will be one whole day at the Citadel. Then I will have a morning to show him around to get the "feel" of the area our last day there.

Thanks to all in advance.

You will love Charleston and there is PLENTY to keep you busy! I would definitely stay downtown, you can walk around the Market and the restaurant selection is endless. The Doubetree Suites located on Church St. is in a great location.

We LOVE the Harbourview Inn - it's located at the waterfront park. Room includes a nice little breakfast in a basket, wine and cheese hour in the evening, and warm cookies and milk before bed. My husband worked in Charleston every other week for 2 years and we made way too many visits there. They have a website - check it out. I could wander the streets of Charleston for days and days. Such a beautiful city and yummy food! Favorite restaurants include Fleet Landing, Hanks, and High Cotton.

bump anyone else??

The PP's idea was wonderful! But full for the time we are there.

bump anyone else??

The PP's idea was wonderful! But full for the time we are there.

Did you try the Doubletree? It's a great location and gorgeous!

I can't say the same for the Citadel- I looked at it, and didn't like the campus at all. Hopefully your son will have a better experience!

not sure what kind of hotel you are looking for but we stayed in the embassey suites hotel it is in the original citadel building we had a great time and really enjoyed the history associated with the hotel
Denise+

Don't know Charleston particularly well, but we had a meeting about 5 years ago at the Vendue Inn, if you're looking for quaint. It was walking distance to the shore and we walked to the marketplace as well. It's definitely not your standard franchise hotel.

http://www.vendueinn.com/

The Francis Marion is historic and nice and close to the historic district, but not cheap. We have stayed there and at the Hampton Inn nearby as well as at a Springhill Suites that was closer to the Citadel and was very nice and more reasonably priced. With the Springhill we just drove over to downtown and parked at the Visitor Center and walked from there. We always try to make time for the SC Aquarium and a trip over to Isle of Palms to walk the beach at the county park. Have a great trip!

I lived in Charleston for a few years. Hotels downtown are EXPENSIVE!!!! Better off getting a hotel in Mt. Pleasant. Its just across the bridge from downtown and its a little cheaper. If you feel froggy, you can go to Goose Creek and stay. It is very nice. I lived there too. Stay away from North Charleston though. Is your son thinking of attending the Citadel??? I worked there for a few years. Watch out for hazing. Its a killer.....While I was there the Seniors ordered 13 blueberry pies and made one freshman cadet eat all of them and he got sick. Keep an eye out!!!

Our son is attending The Citadel. This is his first year and he is on the football team so we go to every home game. Boy it adds up quick. We have stayed everywhere from downtown to next door to The Citadel. If you can get a government gate either state or federal there are two two Marriotts on Lockwood Dr. which are very close to the school. These rates are 139.00 plus tax
Both hotels are very nice. We have also stayed at a downtown inn with free breakfast and wine and cheese in the evening. This place is next door to the market area and can walk anywhere. It runs around 220.00 plus parking.The Hampton INN on Meeting St. will run around 130.00 with a discount. This hotel is also very close to downtown and the visitor center which is a great place to start to kind your way around. Hope this helps.princess:

We have stayed at the Lodge Alley Inn. It is downtown within walking distance of restaurants, the market area, waterfront park, etc. It is nice, but it is kind of expensive.

My mother was sick and spent a lot of time at Medical University of South Carolina and my parents often stayed at La Quinta Inn and Suites (11 Ashley Pointe Drive, Charleston, SC). It is on the water and has a very nice restaurant, California Dreaming, next door. We loved to sit and watch the yachts coming in and out.

Good luck to your son. My husband's cousin has 2 sons at the Citadel right now. It is ROUGH the first year. The older one is a Junior and he was fortunate that there were 6 guys out of his graduating class that went together and they all ended up in the same company.

Doubletree Inn is nice and very convenient. Bit pricey. Right around the corner is the Andrew Pinckney Inn. Much less expensive, no glitz, decent free b'fast and afternoon cookies! ;o) (we paid $89 for a queen room) Vendue Inn is also very very nice as is Harbor Town but they arent' cheap. I would suggest going to TripAdvisor and read up on some places. I have stayed at Doubletree, Pinckney, and Vendue. (My son lives in C'ton). For dinner I would say to absolutely go to Hank's. Our hands down fav for dinner and if you love seafood you're all set. If not, they have the BEST southern chicken I have EVER had in my life! To die for. Plus it is a really neat place inside. If you want something more out there, try Poogan's Porch for any meal. Jestine's claims to have traditional southern lowcountry but we weren't impressed. In fact the owner was there and was quite rude. Nice history to the place but I want good food too.

I could go on and on. Gorgeous hotel on corner of the slave market that has a very neat bar open to the public on the roof. Amazing views of the city! Vendue also has a rooftop bar but their view has been kind of wrecked by the condos along the water.

Take one of the Old South carriage rides too. It may sound cheesy but if nothing else you will get views that you will not otherwise see. The ghost tours are so so.

If you want more info let me know but that should be a starting point for you.
K

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter