• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Nice beach for kids in December?

Jenny-momof3

DIS Veteran
Typically we're in Disney over Christmas/New Years. But this year we would like to do something a little different. Thinking of going to Sea World for a few days then going to a beach for 3-4 days.

Any recommendations for a family friendly beach that time of year? Hotels that won't cost a fortune? We're willing to drive just about anywhere in Florida....we're already driving 15 hours from Ohio to Orlando so what's a few more :rotfl:

We have done vacations over on the gulf side 3 times- Clearwater to St. Pete Beach areas. We like it there but have never been during winter. the beaches are clean, fine white sands. We have not stayed in a hotel but get rentals from Homeaway vacation rentals. We have had nothing but good luck. It is 90 min from Disney pretty straight shot, easy drive. We have gone to the Clearwater Marine Aquarium (where Winter the dolphin from the movie A Dolphin's Tale lives) it is small but girls love it. There are many dolphin boat tours, and we have done Captain Memo's Pirate Cruise- lots of fun! Also (please correct me if I am wrong) I think you might be able to see an orange grove in season during that time. We tried one over the summer not realizing when harvest and stuff was. Mixon's Fruit Farm was about 45 min from our beach house. It would be neat to see that I think. Good Luck!

December beach weather is FREEZING! If you are looking at daytona (which we LOVE during the spring and summer), Naples (our yearly end of summer beach trip), clearwater, tampa, or port canaveral area the water will be under 78-75 degrees and that is very cold. Seems warm but it really isn't. Think about heated pools, which you want heated over 80 degrees and they still seem cool.

Even here at home in Miami I wouldn't go to the beach in December.

If you don't mind the cold I'd recommend Naples and the Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club. They have incredible winter rates. Wait to book closer to winter and they'll have deals. They're very pricey normally but have amazing deals!

Didn't realize it would be that cold. Of course still warmer than here in Ohio but maybe I need to rethink this plan. Just trying to find something that would be fun for our family for a few days that isn't a theme park.

Didn't realize it would be that cold. Of course still warmer than here in Ohio but maybe I need to rethink this plan. Just trying to find something that would be fun for our family for a few days that isn't a theme park.
This is coming from a Floridian, lol, who thinks 60 degrees is cold ;)

But the water will be cold, especially in central and northern FL. The air temp could be 80 degrees in december, Miami had a warm christmas this past year, but our pool was reading 72 degrees most days even when we had that rare 88 degree day.

My kids definitely won't get in cold water. I keep our pool at 85...much below that don't overly care for it. :p

Whatever the temps is in Orlando the temp at the beach be it the gulf or Atlantic, is 10 degree's cooler especially since there is typically a breeze coming off the waters. I went to the gulf side in Nov one year and it was chilly and I live in Ohio.

So if you don't mind bundling up and staying out of the water. HoneyMoon Island is a great beach area. There are tons of shells, nice bathrooms, you can rent beach equipment - chairs, beach toys, umbrella, cafe to grab lunch.

Or you could go over to Kennedy Space Center, then travel down to the port and watch the cruise ships set sail. We like to go to FishLips which is right on the port. We eat and watch the ships pull out.

My friends went to Cocoa Beach while they were there in December, they liked it so much they went back an extra day:)

Clearwater Beach, located just west of Tampa on the Gulf of Mexico is about 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from Orlando. It was just voted #1 Beach in Florida by USA Today readers and is ranked in the top 25 beaches in the U.S. by Tripadvisor.

In December, the weather is not too cold, although if a cold front comes through it could be chilly. The average temperature is 71 with water temperature around 64, lots of sunshine with an average of 6 days of rain. There could be some warm days in the low 80's too. You can still tan easy, don't forget the sunscreen!

It is somewhat of off-peak, the hotel rates will be lower than the spring time during high peak. The off beach activities are suitable this time of year, jet skies, day cruises, fishing, sailing, ect. The sunsets are amazing during the winter months so you are visiting at the right time of year!

Enjoy your Beach Vacation!

Resources:
Clearwater Beach December Weather: http://www.clearwater-beach-vacation.com/clearwater-beach-weather-in-december.html

Clearwater Beach Hyatt (highly recommend for families): http://www.clearwater-beach-vacation.com/hyatt-clearwater-beach-resort.html

I would suggest the Tradewinds on St Pete Beach. Most of their rooms are actually one and two bedroom suites with cooking facilities, and they have about 1,000 feet of Gulf beachfront and multiple pools.

Subscribing for ideas. Our daycare is closed Christmas week, so I have to take vacation time for work. I've been trying to think of a warm place (state side) to go, that won't break the bank.

We are going to stay for 2 nights at The Cove at Ormond Beach in May. It has a full kitchen and 2 bedroom and 2 baths, they also have studios. We thought the price was good approx 150 a night for a 2 bedroom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter