Niagra Falls NY budget trip

1bandaid

Earning My Ears
I am trying to plan a trip to Niagra Falls NY (not sure about the border crossing rules) for me and my 3dd age 9,9, and 7. I want to enjoy the falls and the fireworks so I am planning a mid week trip, arrive on Wed leave on Fri at the end of August. Is this too much or too little time? Where would you stay? We collect hilton points and there is a hampton inn but it appears a little far from the falls. There is a comfort inn next to the park. or some other suggestion. I am driving so we will be able to drive around. I am thinking of taking them on the Maid of the Mist, and doing the cave. Am I crazy for trying this on my own? Any suggestions would be great.

We went to Niagara Falls in June with our DD10 and DD6. We stayed at the Embassy Suites on the Canadian side, which was great. We had a great view of the falls and a little extra space compared to a regular hotel room. The breakfast was fine and probably would have cost us at least $50 elsewhere - Niagara Falls, ONT is expensive. The Maid of the Mist is wonderful and not to be missed. We didn't do the Cave of the Winds, but it did look cool (I wasn't sure if DD6 might be too little - she is not keen about dark places and I worried it might be too slippery for her). We only spent one night, but we could have found plenty to do if we had been there longer. The park on the American side is great with lots of things to do, and we enjoyed walking along the walkway on the Canadian side. There are many touristy things on the Canadian side as well (Sky Wheel, Skylon Tower, Ripley's, etc.), but we didn't do any of those. Our trip plan was to appreciate the wonder of nature, and we all had a great time!

There is also a Sheraton with a nice view of the falls and I think a mini water park, and there is a Marriott. The Embassy Suites had a nice indoor pool that the girls enjoyed, but no slides or anything like that. They didn't know that any other hotels offered anything different. ;)

We also went in June. We stayed at the Hampton Inn on the NY side. It was nice, and very clean. They were renovating while we were there. I would guess they are almost done by now. The breakfast was OK. Cereal, oatmeal packs, bakery items, coffee all day the actual hot food was not so good. It was a decent walk, about 15-20 minutes walking to the rainbow bridge or to the center of the park between the falls. There was a Holiday inn that was similarly priced & about 3 blocks closer, but didn't include free breakfast.

I think Wed- Fri is a good amount of time, but aren't the fireworks on Friday night? I think they started late, about 10pm. Would you be leaving after that? You may want to stay till Saturday.

You all need passports to cross into Canada. The Canadian side offers the best falls view, but the touristy stuff there is incredible!!!!! I actually enjoyed the nature of the NY side more. We did go to the botanical gardens in Canda & the butterfly conservatory which was great.

On the NY side we did Maid of the mist & Cave of the winds & I recommend both. The Aquarium was OK, the Discovery center was ehhh. We also enjoyed whirlpool state park where we walked down the gorge above the whirlpools (past the rapids).

My kids want to go back.

Christine

I think Wed- Fri is a good amount of time, but aren't the fireworks on Friday night? I think they started late, about 10pm. Would you be leaving after that? You may want to stay till Saturday.

That's what I thought too - it was Friday and Sunday in June. But I looked online (which the OP must have done also) - they have fireworks on Wednesdays in July and August.

We weren't there for fireworks, but the girls enjoyed seeing the falls lit up at night.

You do need a passport (or enhanced drivers license) now to drive into Canada. A heads up too that you'd do well to bring a notarized note from the girls' father. We got alot of grief when we landed in Nova Scotia (ferry)- DS was in my mom's car with me; DH was in the car directly behind us... the customs officer wasn't happy with that arrangement, pulled us both over to be sure we were all together, etc. (I guess is good with parental abductions and all. DH was mortified though, lol)

I like both sides. The Canadian side has clifton hill which is the touristy section but can be very expensive. They do usually sell combo tickets for some of the things but you could easily spend a few hundred dollars on that one street. I personally would stay on the American side and spend that money on Maid of the Mist and things like that.

I have read many good reviews about the comfort inn on clifton hill (canadian side). I am thinking about renting it for May 2010 (the end of may). I am thinking everything should be open and running then??

Anyways, I found a deal on it for $300 for 4 nights :thumbsup2

Oh, and don't forget if your staying on the canadian side you need your passport to get through customs (I guess they call it customs)

We were there Mon-Thurs of this week and stayed at the Comfort Inn The Pointe on the American side. The hotel was clean, comfortable and very conveniently located. Free parking and free breakfast are included. We walked out the side door from the lobby, crossed a little street and were in the Niagara State Park. It was a 5 minute walk to the Rainbow bridge to walk over into Canada. As others have said, you need passports to return to US and $.50 to pay the toll to cross back over on the bridge. The Fireworks are at 10pm and last about 10 min. You can view them from either side just fine.

Walking from the non commercialized American side to the carnival like atmosphere of the Canadian side made me glad we stayed where we did. We watched the Maid of the Mist boats leaving from both sides- the Canadian side people were packed on like sardines, the American side had a lot more space for movement. Don't miss this attraction or the Cave of the Wind Tour. They are both fabulous. Do the Cave of the Wind first. They give you these cool sandals to wear. Then you can wear them on the Maid of the Mist and keep your own shoes dry. You will get wet!

Food is expensive on both sides. After the first day we smartened up and took a drive and found MUCH more reasonable restaurants in surrounding areas. Since you are driving, I suggest you bring a cooler to keep some drinks and maybe some snacks in. That really helped keep the cost down.

Have a great time!

Thanks everyone for the information! I feel better about traveling with them.
I guess we will be staying on US side since the girls don't have passports and mine is expired! A few more questions -- It seems like the fireworks can be seen from anywhere along the falls. And are all the falls lit at night or just a specific area. Thanks again!!

Thanks everyone for the information! I feel better about traveling with them.
I guess we will be staying on US side since the girls don't have passports and mine is expired! A few more questions -- It seems like the fireworks can be seen from anywhere along the falls. And are all the falls lit at night or just a specific area. Thanks again!!

The falls are lit at night. Since you can't go to Canada, go to Goat Island. There is an area of land right between the American & Canadian Falls Here is a picture of where I mean:
http://www.niagarafallslive.com/images/american_falls_from_goat_island.jpg

The view form the falls should be great there. Get there early. We were late getting to the fireworks, and were further back in the park when they started, so we could see them in the sky, but we were not looking at both fireworks & the falls at the same time.

Thanks for the info on goat island. We will be there early--not much else for us to do. Thanks for the great picture, I hope we can get some nice shots like that. I got the girls a disposable water safe camera for some wet shots. I appreciate everyones help.

DH and I went for my birthday in late May. If you're looking for a budget friendly lunch, I highly suggest the little Misty Dog hotdog stand and adjacent Twist 'o the Mist ice cream. They're both at the foot of the Rainbow Bridge. Just look for the giant, softserve-icecream-shaped building.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter