NHMickeys weekly thought to ponder.... (A question of the week) 5/8/01

NHMickey

<font color=red>I'm A Disneyana Collector!<font co
Well as most of you know we are a little quirky in our love for all things Disney.... So this weeks question is...

what do your friends and family think of your obsession for Disney??? :jester:

is most definnitely the correct word for it. I think they humor me and have come to accept the fact that if they ask me where we are going on vacation this year to expect "WDW" as the answer! It did take some effort on my part to make DH a fan (but he i still a "closet" disney fan--wont readily admit it!). He is very supportive in my addiction and buys me all sorts of Disney things that I want and does let me go to WDW at least once a year!! He did relagate my collection of Disney "stuff" to one room of the house though out of fear it would totally take over!

My immediate family loves Disney, but my boys think Mom has a mental illness regarding pins. They willl not get up at 4 am on July 1 to go stand in line for vouchers with me.....I can't understand why:confused: But hopefully DH will, and he has even gone way out of his way on business trips to get me pins (and tee shirts for himself) at DLP and DL.

The rest of the family and friends humor me...as far as I am concerned...they just don't get it!!

:crazy: :bounce: :crazy: :bounce: :crazy: :bounce:

Leslie

My family thinks that I am completely and utterly daff! That at my age I should be wanting to go to Europe and other places instead of Disney.

Even worse is what they think of my DIS obsession! There just isn't enough space on this post to go into that!

My parents think I'm a member of the Happiest Cult on the planet, and they tease me about my obsession. Both of my folks are not Disney nuts. they like it, but no where near the level I'm at. My DH thinks I'm nuts, but he lets me have my Disney Fix. He has been wonderful in allowing me to go to the world several times a year. He has even let me take over most of the house with my Disney stuff.(master bedroom is Disney-free). He is even considering moving there in a few years to allow me to work at the parks(my dream). Now my friends are a different story. They just dont get it, and constantly tease me about how much we go. They think we waste money by always going to Disney. Some of my friends try to get us to vacation elsewhere. Some friends have even told me to not influence their kids!(I do anyways ;) ) Some people just arent Disney..you either get it or you dont. When people tease me, I just think..."Its a shame that they dont get it". My DH said that sometimes he gets jealous because he wishes that he had something that he was this passionate about.

Fiver

Disney children (25, 22, 16)are all equally addicted; ex is addicted, which I wish he wasn't because I have to share our DVC with him! Only one of my friends "gets it", and she doesn't live near me, so I don't have someone close to understand. Other friends range from not having any desire to go at all, to have gone, and would go again "someday" , and others who have gone, and can't imagine why I would want to go back! They have no clue--they think it's just about rides. When I start to talk to people about it I just go on and on; I know they must think I'm crazy. Addiction is worse of course when there--have extreme withdrawl on the day we leave, and when we get home, but it eases of course. I'm not as addicted to the"Dis" as some--but I read often. DS reads all the time but will not post--he thinks that's really over the top!!

Some people just laugh when they find out we're going to Disney again. You know what? I just laugh back at them because 1) I'm just so darned happy and 2) I feel sorry for the poor saps because they don't understand the magic as my husband and I do.

One time, a man I work with said to me "Pam, you're going to Disney again? You need to expand your Horizons." I said "I did, I rode it 3 times." He was, of course, baffled because he didn't understand. Poor soul.

I've gotten so use to this phenomenon of non-believers that I have started to think it's just plain funny.

PamNC
18 Days

I was lucky to be borne into a Disney Fanatic Family. DH had never been until he was 20 years old (I took him) but he is now a Closet Fanatic. One Co-Worker thinks I'm nuts to go as often as we do. She says she hates WDW, it's always hot and too many people. I think it's because she's just not a happy person in general.
I've been collecting Disney figurines since I was born and have amassed such a collection that I have at least one per feature film and other assorted pieces. I think that fact that people don't understand our addiction to the Mouse makes this Board a wonderful place to gather.

Most of my family understands that I love WDW and collecting Disney stuff, but they don't share my obsession. They used think I was pretty weird about it, but they're more understanding now. My mother doesn't understand why I need so many pins and so many pieces from the WDCC. She appreciates it when I take her on vacation to WDW, though. She's looking forward to our next trip on November to celebrate her 80th birthday.

Hehehe... What does my family think of my obsession for Disney? They think DNA and inheritance laws can't be denied, that's what! :) :)

I have been going to Disney since I was 15. In my household, Disney is the place where my children and I celebrate special occassions and even have family meetings where relatives gather from other parts of the country. It is a blast to have the family kids ride together and pose for pictures with characters! :jester:

What do my sons think about me collecting pins? Eh.. the boys often make suggestions and pick a little pin or two (they always try to find the wackiest and goriests ones), but since te hobby does not take away their food and shoes, I guess they just get a kick out of it. :crazy:

Disney is the place that we think or when we want to walk on cloud nine. Starting with the packing, saving room for the new goodies in the suitcases, planning the days and even anticipating the flight, we always have pleasant memories of those happy days.

Unlike when we go camping (which we do quite often), I REFUSE TO COOK WHEN I AM ON VACATION IN DISNEY!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Wanda :p

Well, my husbands family thinks we are just simpletons.They continue to bring up our obesession at gatherings and laugh. I don't understand what they don't understand though. They ski every year and love it. That is the same kind of thing to me. I don't particularly like to ski, but do I care if they want to ski all the time?? NO!!! Go, have fun... I will be at WDW if you need me.... Now, my family on the other hand is a bit more supportive, but still thinking we are a bit over the edge.Each year we go to WDW, sometimes my sister comes along, sometimes not, but she always calls me the Disneyholic etc etc. This year, she was diagnosed with breast cancer after the horror and shock wore off, she said "If I make it through this, the only thing I want to do is go to WDW" I had the trip planned before she could get out of the hospital. See, she was hiding her own obsession inside.. LOL... Our "Celebration" trip is in AUgust. It will be the best one yet, I am sure.

My family just doesn't understand. they don't even ask where I am going on vacation anymore, they just ask when I am going back.
and the pin "thing" as they put it. They ask when I am going to sell them all and get a life. As if this is not a wonderful life. I just can't make them understand how many wonderful friends I have made through pin trading and how many people I have talked to in the parks that I wouldn't normally talk to.
this year I bought a DVC so I could take my entire family to WDW as a Christmas present to them all. I hope maybe I can make them understand by showing them firsthand. Can you believe most of my brothers have never been to WDW. And they have children too!!! What a disgrace.
My sister was dead set against WDW when I brought her for the first time. She had lived in FL for about 8 years and had never gone. Well she can't go a week without stopping by now. She came up to visit me last week and all she talked about was how much she missed the parks. But even she doesn't understand the pin trading. But she does manage to get me a few every once in a while so I will keep her around. Peggie

All of my friends and family are looking for a 12 step program for me to get over my Disney and Mickey obsession.

When I was sick a couple years ago I was watching Oprah and she said to surround yourself with the things that you love.

Well I went crazy that week - my DH was in Texas on business and I Mousercised my house. And now Mickey is everywhere, but it makes me happy.

IF you have to explain it to someone, they will never get it. It is nice to know that there are people on this board that "get it".

Darlene

My family understands how much I enjoy WDW and anything Disney so they humor me. They even helped me track down CMs last year when I did my *first* pintrading at the Parks. :) My DS's, however, think I've gone off the deep end and lost my mind. I'm not really all that obsessed either! :p I don't really care what anyone thinks as long as it makes me smile. :earsgirl: :crazy: :tongue:

"My Captain Alphabet is sending me message. It says, 'Are You There?' "
"Are you sure it didn't say, 'You Need Help?' "

That about sums it up.

I get a lot of strange looks from my parents. My Father looks at all my Disney stuff and just says that's nice. My Stepmom can understand a little as she is nuts over Hummels.

Both my DH and my families are concerned about how we will pay for our children's college education when we spend it all going to Disney all the time. I try not to talk about it too much in front of them, I think they have about had it. My husband calls me from work every day to talk about this or that Disney thing. We are disgusting together, but we're happy!!

in good company!!!
My parents think we're nuts going to Disney but they haven't been and I can't get them there so...

The pin thing is even hard for my family to understand...my DS likes the pins when he is there and my DD thinks I'm nuts! I'll call her in Ca. and tell her what pins I want from DL and she'll have to go get them for her mother....(We even bought her a pass) but
I just can't convert my DH...he'll look at the pins and then check Ebay to find out how much they're going for:eek: :eek: so I'm hiding them now....especially when he saw how much all of the MSEP pins were going for! I've really slowed down cause I'm starting to feel guilty....can someone talk me out of the guilt?
(i'm sure I'll get over it!)lol
Holycow

Hi Nat. My family understands, but my friends who are not Disney nuts can not see what we are so nuts about. EXCUSE ME! It's Disney you either love it or Hate it.
Every thing that Walt Disney stood for is what it is about.
Kris:pinkbounc

they think I am nuts!!! but they humor me and support me in my new addiction. Hey its better than some addictions that I can think of . :bounce: :bounce: :jester: :p :wave: :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter