Nexus: How does it work?

scrappinginontario

I've started looking in to this but have a couple of questions I haven't found answers to so far. Do you have a Nexus card?

Do I need to pay for my 4yo DD or can she go on my card for free?

Can I bring any purchases back with me or would I need to go in the regular line at the border if I had been shopping?

My passport needs to be renewed shortly. Do I do these 2 things at the same time or are the separate?

Not too sure how it works as you can see. :)

Any help greatly appreciated.

I've started looking in to this but have a couple of questions I haven't found answers to so far. Do you have a Nexus card?

Do I need to pay for my 4yo DD or can she go on my card for free?

Can I bring any purchases back with me or would I need to go in the regular line at the border if I had been shopping?

My passport needs to be renewed shortly. Do I do these 2 things at the same time or are the separate?

Not too sure how it works as you can see. :)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Our family has had Nexus cards for 5 years. Your 4 yo will get her own Nexus card, but there is no fee for children.

You can bring goods through the nexus lane, but must declare them. When we first joined, you had to fill out a paper Declaration Card, but for several years now we have been able to make verbal declarations to the guard. If you are found to be bringing purchases in that you have not declared you will lose your Nexus.

From the Canada Border Services Agency website, you can use any of the following for proof of citizenship for your Nexus application:

If you are a Canadian or U.S. citizen, you will need to provide proof of citizenship through one of the following:
valid passport
birth certificate
Canadian citizenship certificate or card
Certificate of Indian Status

However, if your closest Nexus Enrolment Centre (where you have to go for your interview before getting your card) is in the States, you won't be able to cross without your passport. The two applications (passport and Nexus) are not related - Nexus is issued by the U.S. government.

HTH, feel free to ask any other questions that come up.

I've started looking in to this but have a couple of questions I haven't found answers to so far. Do you have a Nexus card? Do I need to pay for my 4yo DD or can she go on my card for free? Can I bring any purchases back with me or would I need to go in the regular line at the border if I had been shopping? My passport needs to be renewed shortly. Do I do these 2 things at the same time or are the separate? Not too sure how it works as you can see. :) Any help greatly appreciated.

I (and my family) have NEXUS cards. Each person can have their own (two people cannot share a card).

There is no charge for children 16 and under to have a NEXUS card.

When driving across a land border, you can use a NEXUS lane, regardless is you have anything to,declare (caveat -- every person in the car, without exception, must have a NEXUS card, or you cannot use the NEXUS lane). If returning to Canada, and you have purchases to declare, there's a form you must fill out before you cross the border, and you deposit this form in a "mailbox" type box, when you cross the border.

Your passport renewal is separate than the NEXUS renewal. It's two separate expiry dates.

The only thing I would add is that you can still use any line at the border to cross and use this as your ID - sometimes the Nexus lane is not the fastest. It can also be used at airports that have it - if you get the retina scan. Most times, it is a huge timesaver!

"Most times"
Ours are almost up for renewal and I'm debating.

I think I like it best at Pearson...when the machines are working.....and re entering Canada at border crossings. Entering the US I find by the time I get to the Nexus lane - I've waited the worst of it!

:confused3

I would just add that if you are crossing in the Niagara area as a Nexus cardholder, the Whirlpool Bridge is Nexus only. I have never had more than 2 or 3 cars in front of me.

Also, my 3 yo son does not have the retina scan as he was only 1 when he got his card. We were told when using airports, to go the special needs counter (for special needs and airline personnel) as both my husband and I do have retina scan. They said they would now try to do retina scan on my now 3 year old if we could get him to sit still long enough. :rotfl2:

IMO, a great option for the price, but we cross fairly often.

Under 16 is free, if you renew right before a child turns 16, it is still good for 5 yrs until they are almost 21.

Valid for 5 years plus time to your next birthday, so if you get it 1 week after your birthday it is valid for 6 years minus 1 week.

Works great everywhere that has machines except Pearson, they always seem to be out of paper but do not indicate until you have used it and not gotten a receipt.

Many airport security (not just customs) have a separate line for Nexus if not you can usually ask and go through any priority line that they have.

Get the one that will also allow you to use other type of machines as well (i.e Global entry) our cards have retina scan, and fingerprints. We also register our cars for land travel.

Very convenient for my teens who travel alot for their sports.

I live in Ottawa and all international flights seem to arrive at the same time. The customs lines are either empty (never when I come through) or they have hundreds of people in it. I walk off the plane (usually front seat, carry on only) pause at the machine, walk out and am in my car while most of my flight is barely entering the long line.

It's actual 18 and under that is free. We have our family interview this week.

"Most times"
Ours are almost up for renewal and I'm debating.

I think I like it best at Pearson...when the machines are working.....and re entering Canada at border crossings. Entering the US I find by the time I get to the Nexus lane - I've waited the worst of it!

:confused3

Me too...ours are up in January and I'm really debating it.
I arrived at Pearson last week....2 out of 3 nexus machines on one side of customs out of order. Come on ..give me a break..and I agree with waiting the worst in the lines before it opens up enough to spring to nexus.

I have a question: I just renewed my passport. Can I go online to update my Nexus information with my new passport info or do I have to go to a Nexus office personally?

We have Nexus for all 4 our family members and love it.

In Niagara Falls, use the Whirlpool bridge, no one is ever on it.

Schedule your interview at Fort Erie (if you are in the GTA) as the wait time is much shorter.

Go online and check the status of your application regularly, this will speed up the process.

Make sure you apply for your children, even though they are free you must fill in an application. (We didn't realize and had to go back for adult interviews and then 3 months later for the kiddos interviews:crazy2:)

We all got approved and did the iris scan as well! Yippee!:banana:

I have just scheduled appointments for myself and my DD at Pearson and I called the general inquires line to ask a few questions. One was about registering my car because I use land crossings a lot as I normally fly out of Buffalo. I was told not to register my car as it has no effect on your file. You can drive any car accross the boarder at any time. I was also told that I would incure an unnecessary fee.

Just thought I would let everyone know....

I have just scheduled appointments for myself and my DD at Pearson and I called the general inquires line to ask a few questions. One was about registering my car because I use land crossings a lot as I normally fly out of Buffalo. I was told not to register my car as it has no effect on your file. You can drive any car accross the boarder at any time. I was also told that I would incure an unnecessary fee.

Good tip. I believe the car registration section of the application states that it is for driving a vehicle form Mexico to the U.S. (the SENTRI program).

when we went to do our nexus card they told us the same thing not to bother with the car registration.

They stopped registering cars a few years ago - maybe as long as 5 yrs. It was a real pain. Now just all occupants have to have a card to use the lane.

Received ours in the mail last night. :cool1:
We had our Appt November 8th.

How long does it take from submission of application to when you can book an appointment? We applied about 5 weeks ago and it still says pending review. We had hoped to have it by the time we go to WDW next week but that obviously isn't going to happen. No big deal because the lines for security weren't long last year at the same time in December but it would have been convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter