• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Next "theme"

Be bitter that's OK:thumbsup2 ...But Iger is a bigger threat to Disney than Eisner was, IMO.

As for these lame azz themes, why does Disney have to go over the top to attract the guests? Are the parks and resorts just not good enough to do that?

Out of curiosity, what makes Iger such a threat in your mind? I don't have an opinion either way, just wondering what your reasoning is.

Maybe as part of the celebration, Iger can buy the Food Network for $18 billion, and then realize it was only worth $2 billion a few months later. Or hire his best friend as president, and then pay him $400 million to leave the company, a few months later. Sorry for the exageration, but I just finished reading "Disney War" last week so I am still a little bitter:rotfl:

Don't be sorry, I am still upset after reading it a year ago!:(

Out of curiosity, what makes Iger such a threat in your mind? I don't have an opinion either way, just wondering what your reasoning is.

Iger's a suit and that's it (an empty one, too). Eisner thought he had Walt's 'magic touch' ... He really didn't but he did at least try in his own way for the majority of his tenure, even though the results were generally not very Walt like, shall we say.

Iger doesn't understand creativity, doesn't pretend to, doesn't want to. He cut his teeth at ABC and never, ever really succeeded with it. His decisions are 100% bottom line driven and if this alone doesn't scare you, keep in mind that he personally greenlighted Cavemen on ABC.:eek:

Iger's a suit and that's it (an empty one, too). Eisner thought he had Walt's 'magic touch' ... He really didn't but he did at least try in his own way for the majority of his tenure, even though the results were generally not very Walt like, shall we say.

Iger doesn't understand creativity, doesn't pretend to, doesn't want to. He cut his teeth at ABC and never, ever really succeeded with it. His decisions are 100% bottom line driven and if this alone doesn't scare you, keep in mind that he personally greenlighted Cavemen on ABC.:eek:

Very well said. I might add that at least Eisner surrounded himself with some very talented people. People who revived an animation and movie studio that had collapsed. Frank Wells and Jeffrey Katzenberg did wonders for Disney. I give Eisner full credit for having the vision to bring those two and others on board.

Eisner's downfall was his ego. He took all the credit for all of the good things that happened during his time and put the blame on others for the bad stuff. Fortunately we are all here to keep things straight.

Eisner's biggest mistake? In my opinion that would have been NOT promoting Katzenberg when Wells died. What was he thinking bringing Ovitz in? That entire debacle is what Eisner (and Disney) never recovered from.

Very well said. I might add that at least Eisner surrounded himself with some very talented people. People who revived an animation and movie studio that had collapsed. Frank Wells and Jeffrey Katzenberg did wonders for Disney. I give Eisner full credit for having the vision to bring those two and others on board.

Eisner's downfall was his ego. He took all the credit for all of the good things that happened during his time and put the blame on others for the bad stuff. Fortunately we are all here to keep things straight.

Eisner's biggest mistake? In my opinion that would have been NOT promoting Katzenberg when Wells died. What was he thinking bringing Ovitz in? That entire debacle is what Eisner (and Disney) never recovered from.

Excellent points.........

I may be wrong but I don't think that having a different celebration year after year is attracting that many guests. I certainly don't think about which one is going on when I go. If there's always some type of celebration, there's nothing made special about going during one, it just becomes the expected. I think that the 25th (loved how they turned the castle into a cake) was a nice little "celebration" (or actually as we call it, "yearly theme") but extending it that extra year was a mistake. If they keep doing this, they won't be compelling guests to visit in my opinon, they'll just keep putting off their trip because they think "Well, if they're going to have this again next year, why should I rush?"

I would rather just see them pull off a really good celebration maybe twice a decade, that only lasts one year each and end it there.

I may be wrong but I don't think that having a different celebration year after year is attracting that many guests.

I agree.

I can't believe there are that many people who would actually tell their spouse, "Dear, we really must take our family to a Genuine Disney Park® this year because it's the Celebration® of the Wonder® of Magical® Dreams®!"

I think that the 25th (loved how they turned the castle into a cake) was a nice little "celebration" (or actually as we call it, "yearly theme").

Careful with that one. The "castle cake" is a sensitive subject around here. Seems that people don't like the icons being messed with. The castle cake and the Epcot wand were eyesores to many.

My first trip to WDW occured during the 25th anniversary celebration. I loved the castle cake. I also liked the wand when it said "2000" and "Epcot". I was sad to see that they removed the wand. And yes, I even like the Sorcerer's hat at the studio.

Glad you liked the cake too.

lol

I didnt even know that they had celebrations... let alone one evry year.. :lmao:

I kindof knew about year of a million dreams or whatever... My dad got me two pins from ebay..

But i geuss thats what happens when your in Australia.. You get a bit regected

:banana:

Now Disney is all about "The 4 P's" (Pirates, Princesses, Pooh and Pixar).
You forgot about the 5th "P". Stitch. Hes a PEST. Sorry, but for several years EVERYTHING was plastered with disgusting Stitches. Sticking his tongue in his nose on the sides of all the buses, replacing Mickey as the wake up call, etc etc etc.
I hope we're past that.

As far as the celebrations. if they didn't have celebrations I couldn't decorate my Disney kitchen with cool banners like THESE!!!

P8160149.jpg

P8160148.jpg

PA310273.jpg

P6270080.jpg

But seriously, I have all I need (I even have 2 of the LED banners!!!:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: )
I wish they would drop the celebrations and JUST to the YOAMD prizes WITHOUT all the hoopla. If they weren't spending so much money PROMOTING and MARKETING the celebrations... think of all the free prizes and Dream ears they could give out!!!:hyper:

Self employeed,

I am creating a disney world "museum" in my basement, full of actual park items. what i am asking is that if you have or come across some items that you don't need, can't use, don't want could you please let me know about it. I have about 160 feet of wall space and need tons of items.

If anybody else has some actual WDW used park items that they no longer want please message me!

You can dream anything at disney, for the right price

:rotfl2: So true it's not even funny.

Do you mind if I steal that and put it on my sig? I'm thinking "Dreams become reality at Disney, if you have the cash to pay for them!" :rotfl:

Disneyfanatic1072... noone can PM you. The option is not open/on in your settings.
That being said... I do have ONE extra of the 100 Years of Magic LED Banners.
The power supply is not included (can be bought at Jasco.com) and the LED controller is fried. In other words its EXACTLY like mine. Only the one I'm selling looks a LOT better than mine. Go to my website (click my name and see my homepage). Its the only banner in my kitchen thats lit up. It has 78 LEDs. I paid dearly for it, and restored the one thats in my kitchen. Its not that big of a deal for the electronically minded person. It only takes a box of wirenuts, some electrical tape, and patience when ordering the parts. The repairs to get it up and running aren't that bad. OR I could order the parts, and do all the work to get it running, and charge a bit more.
The only catch is I'll have to clear it with my wife before I say for sure. But in case your interested: Oh, and its a LOT bigger than it looks.:thumbsup2 AND it lights the WHOLE kitchen up in sparkling white LED light. Christmas tree 24/7!:cool1:
I'll try to post a picture:
PA310269.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h293/chileheadplumber/DISNEY KITCHEN/PA310269.jpg

I should also add that it SPARKLES! Its not a steady on. It's supposed to look like Pixie Dist!:thumbsup2 All the LEDs are on, but they randomly PULSE really bright, several at a time in a random pattern to look like its sparkling.

:dance3: Since the birth of my third child, I haven't had too much time to sit down and read a book from beginnng to end. However, when DH brought home a book from a co-worker (Disney Wars), I couldn't put it down. I totally agree about Jeffrey Katzenberg. He is now having the last laugh over at DreamWorks. ;)

- Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter