• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Next DVC location - offsite???

Fitswimmer said:
The ski resorts up here are really working on that problem. Some of the Pocono ones have put in water rides for the summer, mountain biking trails have become HUGE at some of the NE resorts as well. Fall is a big season in New England for leaf peepers too.

I would love to see a place in a new type of area-we have WDW and we have beaches. Lovely, but let's try the mountains!!
There are quite a few small water parks around the pocono area. I watched Camelbeach being built from nothing.

DVC could buy Smugglers Notch Resort in Stowe VT. It's rated one of the best family resorts by Family Fun magazine. It's a year round resort nestled in the Green Mountains.

Fitswimmer said:
I would love to see a place in a new type of area-we have WDW and we have beaches. Lovely, but let's try the mountains!!

I'd love to see DVC in the Smoky Mountains or on the Gulf Coast. :cheer2:

That seems to be where most Alabama folks vacation anyway, and maybe I could get DSis and DBIL to buy into DVC too! :stir: :rolleyes1

I wonder if Disney would have trouble overcoming the timeshare/snake oil sales image that exists for timeshares in the smokies and on the gulf.

mbhoxsie said:
Didn't DVC also once have property in Colorado and New York??

Yes, although neither was 'officially' announced like the Newport Coast property was.

The NY property was to be in the Times Square area near the New Amsterdam theater (where 'Lion King' played for years). It was to be a combined hotel/DVC building.

The Colorado property, to the best of my knowledge, was to be at Beaver Creek. The site is now a Hyatt timeshare (Hyatt Mountain Lodge) and some condos.

The question isn't where would you like to stay, it's where would you be willing to buy points. Would you buy points in Tokyo or Hong Kong? They would have to be able to sell the points in a reasonable amount of time.

DebbieB said:
The question isn't where would you like to stay, it's where would you be willing to buy points. Would you buy points in Tokyo or Hong Kong? They would have to be able to sell the points in a reasonable amount of time.
That is very true, and I hadn't thought about it that way. I was only thinking where I would stay, because I do eventually want to try them all.

We are new DVCer's and we have already talked about adding points sometime :blush: :thumbsup2 But we haven't even went on our first trip with points yet ... :lmao: that's in May '07. If there was a DVC at DL, we would definately be buying there.

Simba's Mom said:
I wonder if I'm the only one who'd love to see a DVC location up north, someplace where the weather is cooler. It seems like now, all the DVC locations are in areas that get so HOT in the summer! I'd love to see one someplace where I can get some crisp, cool, mountain air (sorry but it's over 90 degrees 5 months of the year here and I'm getting kind of crazy :crazy: ).

Years ago (13 years) Disney was going to do the "Disney's America" theme park in Virginia, but it was quashed by the locals. 13 years later and they still haven't built a new park (and adjoining DVC properties). If they thought it was time then... it must be time now. Seems to me any of the original 13 colonies (states) would be a great candidate for this theme park. :confused3

Hawaii would be great, and can they hurry up? I'm moving there in Feb and want to stay already!! LOL

sweetinmaine said:
Crisp, cool, mountain air...Vermont! We'd love to see Mickey up our way...Just imagine...frozen Mickey bars made from Ben & Jerry's ice cream! :goodvibes

YEAH!!! I'm all for it!!! Love Vermont!!! Love Ben & Jerry's even more!!!!! :thumbsup2

It may not be DVC, but I just got heard a rumor today. this comes from a friend who just got back from WDW and he says he got if from a CM. Disney will build another Magic Kingdom type park in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. It's supposed to be attached to a mall similar to Mall of America. And being that this is in PA, the park will be indoor.

DisDaydreamer said:
Years ago (13 years) Disney was going to do the "Disney's America" theme park in Virginia, but it was quashed by the locals. 13 years later and they still haven't built a new park (and adjoining DVC properties). If they thought it was time then... it must be time now. Seems to me any of the original 13 colonies (states) would be a great candidate for this theme park. :confused3

Considering they were going to build it on the battlegrounds the idea strange (even for Disney standards). The way Disney changes and contorts things I prefer that this never happens.

Slakk said:
Considering they were going to build it on the battlegrounds the idea strange (even for Disney standards). The way Disney changes and contorts things I prefer that this never happens.
That's not true.

Disney's America in Haymarket, Virginia, would have been located 3.5 miles from the Manassas National Battlefield Park. The Disney site did not have historic significance, and no knowledgeable person claimed that it did. The concern was not that Disney was actually planning to build on a battlefield or other historic site, but that Disney's project would lead to urban sprawl and more traffic in the area.

A coalition of local landed gentry and national historians opposed Disney's America. When Disney had enough of the bad publicity, Disney gave up on the site.

I understand that urban sprawl and more traffic came to the area anyway.

For a map, see http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/mana/map3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter