Next cruise not DCL.. Withdrawal Pains?

Incharge

<font color=deepseagreen>Has a PHOBIA about teeny
My next cruise will be leaving from a port that is very close to my home. It will not be a DCL cruise. Has anyone who has tried a different cruise line after Disney experienced withdrawals from DCL? I have only tried DCL 1 time, but I will miss many things.
My next cruise will not be the same without..

Split Bathrooms.. (I didn't think I would like it, but loved it)
Large Porthole window in cat 9 cabin..
Disney Characters all over..
Great Food..
Changing restuarants(sp) each night (loved it)..
Excellent kids club..
Movie Theater..(loved this also)
Friendly staff..(generally seem as though they are happy doing their jobs)
very nice photo opportunities throughout the ship
Large portholes throughout the ship..
Shows are excellent..
I did not go to Palo, but sounds great..
and mostly..CASTAWAY CAY

I hope I won't spend too much time comparing what is missing.

I had the same problem but in reverse. I had sailed RCCL on the Voyager and the Radiance before sailing the Magic. I was a huge fan of RCCL, and only went on DCL becuase we were bringing the kids for the first time.

I spent the first few days comparing everything (and in most ways I preferred RCCL). After those first few days my husband said relax, they are two different products, stop comparing and just enjoy it. This was great advice, and I had a wonderful time.

Since you loved your first cruise on DCL so much, (as I did on the RCCL cruises), if you keep comparing things, you will problaby not like the cruise as much as DCL. My best advice is what my husband gave me, don't waste time comparing, just go into it thinking that it is a new experience and enjoy!

I don't kow what cruiseline or ship you are sailing, but you could do research on cruisecritic and cruisemate to get a feel of what new experiences you will have!

kajohn . . .

I see you have two more RCCL trip scheduled. How old are your children? I have been looking at doing one of the Radiance class ships -- same size as the Magic. I think the Explorer would be too big for me!

My children are DD5 and DS8.

Thanks. I would LOVE to do a Southern cruise. Are you sailing out of San Juan?

SandraLee

My boys will be 11, 9 and 7 when they sail next year on the Explorer. This will be my kids first cruise on RCCL. (We now alternate, kids go with us one year, and we sail without them the next). I have read a lot of reports about RCCL kids clubs and most people report they like them. There was a report from someone last year that sailed a Voyager class ship and then the Magic back to back. Their kids preferred the RCCL kids program.

From reading the RCCL compasses (same thing as Navigators) the kids clubs have many science type activities (that is their theme). My boys think that sounds really cool. They also like the fact you get RCCL dollars (not sure exactly what they call them) for each actvity that you do, and you turn them in the last night for a gift, i.e. hat, stuffed animal, CD case etc.

The trip we are doing this February is the Adventure of the Seas which is sailing out of San Juan. We aren't taking the kids on this trip. One thing about sailing out of San Juan is the flight costs! The cheapest ticket we could find was $500 pp. Luckily we had frequent flyer miles and are using them, but that is a major considertion.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and if you have any questions feel free to ask away, I love talking about cruising!!!

The Magic twice with them and this year we did RCCL Navigator - my kids liked RCCL's kids program much better than Disneys...

On Disney we made them go to the club each night so DH and I could have some adult time.. On the Navigator they begged us to go each night...

You cant go wrong either way.. both Disney and RCCL were wonderful cruises for us.

Kelli gives excellent advice.

In my cruising experience I have developed a theory. It goes like this: If you enjoy cruising and keep coming back for more, more than likely your first cruise line will remain your favorite. Why? Because it was your first love against which all other experiences will be compared.

That said, do your best to not look for the comparisons and contrasts. Otherwise you will miss out on the enjoyment of something different. To put it in Disney speak, don't compare your like for EPCOT versus the Magic Kingdom. They are similar products (theme parks) but designed to be something much different (DCL versus other cruise lines). You can enjoy them both, they are just a different approach to the idea.

If you can stay objective, you'll love the experience. And going back to my theory...once you enjoy the cruise elsewhere, you can still come back to your first love, and appreciate it that much more for the uniqueness it retains.

Happy Sailing, no matter which line you choose...

Nope...never suffered Disney withdrawls. In fact our next four cruises are booked on three other cruiselines. If anything we're going through Celebrity withdrawls which is why we just booked them for 2005.

Every cruiseline has great things to offer. Yes, you won't find Castaway Cay or Disney Characters, but everything else you list is out there on other cruiselines. Don't fret...there are so many wonderful ships out there. Don't be afraid to explore them!

Originally posted by Euphscott
[In my cruising experience I have developed a theory. It goes like this: If you enjoy cruising and keep coming back for more, more than likely your first cruise line will remain your favorite. Why? Because it was your first love against which all other experiences will be compared.... [/B]
I
My first cruise was on Carnival - had a great time. Next I did NCL - had a better category of cabin so I probably liked that one a bit better. I don't recall EVER thinking "I wish I was back on Carnival" though. After that I tried Holland America Line (HAL) - and WOW! Immediately I knew I'd found the line that was best for me. Since then I've cruised HAL 4 times, with a Panama Canal cruise (#5) booked for this March. Interspersed with the HAL cruises have been 6 DCL cruises. I enjoy the DCL cruises, but for me HAL has a superior product. I wouldn't have been on DCL more than once if I wasn't a DVC member with enough points to cruise without using my vacation budget.

I have NO interest in cruising Carnival or NCL again, or trying other cruise lines. I'm really happy with HAL and enjoy supplementing those great cruises with DCL's good cruises.

Any thoughts on the differences between Disney vs RCCL over New Years in 2004? My parents really enjoy RCCL and would like to go with them, I am a bit concerned about too much adult celebrating on NYE. My kids are 4 and 11 and I would like to have a fun time with them on New Years and I think that Disney may have a more family friendly celebration. Any thoughts? Thanks!:D

Scott in TX

I love your theory! My first cruise was on Princess, a 13-day round trip cruise from San Francisco to Alaska. Even though it was an older ship and we had a tiny stateroom, everything about that cruise was perfect. It is where I first learned you could have 4 appetizers and 2 desserts :D Our Head Waiter would prepare and toss the Caesar Salad right at our table and one night, he rolled up a table with a large hot plate on it and cooked Fettucine Alfredo right on the spot for us. Now that is service! Unfortunately, on the Wonder, we never saw our head waiter, except the last night when he came looking for his tip. All of our servers and stateroom attendents were fantastic on Princess and we never got that speech on the last night about giving them an "excellent" on the comment card (I think when the service is that good, they don't have to request it...wish DCL would do something about that with their waiters).

Don't get me wrong...I had a great time on our Disney Cruise, as well as on RCCL. But I don't think I'll ever forget my first cruise.

Deb:wave2:

You all are right. I enjoy myself whenever I am on a cruise. I think I can have a ball on a dingy, as long as it is floating. I think a cruise is what you make it. Your frame of mind and how you treat other people will play a large part in how you are treated in return. We make fun wherever we are. My only regret is that we booked an inside cabin on this next cruise. I have been inside before, but not for awhile. I enjoyed the big porthole on DCL. Before then, there was a verandah, so now I am back to square 1. Maybe I will just cancel this cheap little 7-day cruise since I can't see out..... NOT:teeth:

After four straight DCL cruises, we are going on a non-Disney cruise in June. We are going on the brand new Diamond Princess - inside passage to Alaska. We are really excited. We are going with the Pink Ribbon Cruise Group (we did the Magic with them in May 2003) and we got a great rate on a mini-suite with balcony. I looked at the rates comparing DCL to P for the same week, June 12th, and Princess is cheaper. Go figure.
Now I am accumulating Delta FF points like crazy this week so I can get FF tickets for the flight from NJ to Seattle.
Michele

once my kids start to take vacations on their own (they're 19 and 16 now and wouldn't think of spending vacation with anyone but the two of us), then my husband and i will venture over to one of the higher end cruise lines (like radison seven seas).....but since they don't have any activities at all of interest to anyone under the age of advanced middle age, it will have to wait until the two of us are on our own....

i totally love DCL, but i'm looking forward to trying radison one day...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter