News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a big if because there are legal issues over who actually has theme park licensing rights but a Lord of the Rings land is every bit as big a draw as Harry Potter or Star Wars.

No it isn't. Not even close. In the end, the draw for theme parks is kids. Lord of the Rings is not as big an IP as those, but isn't even in the same ballpark in the 2-15 year old range that really drives theme park attendance.

One problem Universal has to watch out for is - how to differentiate theme. As it IOA and US are barely different in theme. (IOA is more about "lands" and US is a "studio" but really.) If you have a third park and it's the same thing...

This I disagree with. I really like AK as it is after the addition I truly believe it is a full day park.

We haven't seen it yet...first...so judgement is still a little reserved.

But dinoland and Chester and Hester is a pretty big cop out....there's the status of Everest that isn't perfect...and there's the big placeholder between the two that was part of the master plan at the park.

I think "full day park" and "complete park" are two vastly different things.

The simple fact is that Disney has not constructed and opened a compete park from 1992 till at least 2016..

Where as most others were either compete at opening or by year 2
Or 3.

But dinoland and Chester and Hester is a pretty big cop out....there's the status of Everest that isn't perfect...and there's the big placeholder between the two that was part of the master plan at the park.

The simple fact is that Disney has not constructed and opened a compete park from 1992 till at least 2016..

Where as most others were either compete at opening or by year 2
Or 3.
By Disney terms no park is ever complete ;)

Anyways have you seen any of the recent construction update avatar is really an engineering feat that Disney hasn't done before. As someone going into that field it's really amazing.

If we're all really lucky.

People are clamoring for a bad idea princess overlay and a new theater on a pretty simplistic, increasingly dated, 2 minute lazy simulator ride.

We all get what we deserve.
That simulator ride is also getting a new story line :thumbsup2

Half of Dinoland feels *very* tacked on. Like a cheap midway attraction I'd expect to see at the State Fair. But then never quite packed up and left. That and the dropping of the Fantasy area equal a park that clocked in far below it's intended expectations.

I'm sort of stunned that the Yeti has been ignored for so long as well. That is the keystone of the ride.... is the fix really that hard? Prob not. I suppose they just crunched the numbers and decided people weren't skipping the ride just because the yeti had rigor mortis.

I do think Disney suits have underestimated the appeal of Potterland. I'm not a fan of the franchise, but Diagon Alley was simply stunning. The theming in that section rivals anything I've seen at Disney. It took everything I loved about Hogsmeade and threw out everything I hated. Simply looking at Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley side by side it is stunning how much Universal has learned in the few years between those two sections.

I think this sums it up best:
PotC has boats the dip underwater and the Everest Yeti is busted? Disney says, "It's cool, people still love those rides"
Incredible Hulk has a dated queue? Universal says, "Tear the whole dang thing down, lets do it bigger & better"
For that matter, any ride at Universal is dated? Tear it down, make it better. While that may be controversial with some folks, even the most ardent Jaws fan has to admit that Diagon Alley does so much for for the park (spatially, revenue-wise, attendance, etc). So far Universal has yet to tear something out and replace it with something mediocre. Even the signature Kong ride gave way to the Mummy, which was often cited as most folks favorite coaster for a while there.

I want to stick up for USF and IOA. These are both great parks and practically everything that they add to them just gets better and better.

Where Universal has to try a bit harder is to make the "average" of the sum of its attractions a little bit warmer (emotionally), less in-your-face loud, less video screen dependent, and less nauseatingly (as a PP said) herky jerky.

To give just one example, Mickeys Philharmagic is the warmest, nicest and most musically appealing 3d movie I've ever seen. The T2 3D movie is just a big noise fest with no emotional appeal at all.

Here's another - Festival of the Lion king is a sheer musical and visual pleasure. The Blues Brothers review is completely loud and glib. Even though the Blues Brothers movie had a very warm heart as it touched on the uplifting side of the blues, saving orphans through music and redeeming a bunch of dead-end musicians.

If the average of all attractions was moved a bit back toward all-ages-friendly, more heartwarming rides and shows then Uni would be tied to Disney in my family's hearts, instead of 2nd place.

Another factor is the intellectual and spiritual angle. These things are touched on in a pretty shallow way at WDW, but they are definitely there. In most of Epcot, some of MK, and the zoological part of DAK. Universal would benefit from having its average tilted slightly toward the left side of the thoughtful <-> mindless scale.

Half of Dinoland feels *very* tacked on. Like a cheap midway attraction I'd expect to see at the State Fair. But then never quite packed up and left. That and the dropping of the Fantasy area equal a park that clocked in far below it's intended expectations.

I'm sort of stunned that the Yeti has been ignored for so long as well. That is the keystone of the ride.... is the fix really that hard? Prob not. I suppose they just crunched the numbers and decided people weren't skipping the ride just because the yeti had rigor mortis.

I do think Disney suits have underestimated the appeal of Potterland. I'm not a fan of the franchise, but Diagon Alley was simply stunning. The theming in that section rivals anything I've seen at Disney. It took everything I loved about Hogsmeade and threw out everything I hated. Simply looking at Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley side by side it is stunning how much Universal has learned in the few years between those two sections.

I think this sums it up best:
PotC has boats the dip underwater and the Everest Yeti is busted? Disney says, "It's cool, people still love those rides"
Incredible Hulk has a dated queue? Universal says, "Tear the whole dang thing down, lets do it bigger & better"
For that matter, any ride at Universal is dated? Tear it down, make it better. While that may be controversial with some folks, even the most ardent Jaws fan has to admit that Diagon Alley does so much for for the park (spatially, revenue-wise, attendance, etc). So far Universal has yet to tear something out and replace it with something mediocre. Even the signature Kong ride gave way to the Mummy, which was often cited as most folks favorite coaster for a while there.
The yeti isn't that difficult of a fix but they don't want to shut down a ride like that in a park that doesn't have as much for so long. Heck Disney hated having POTC down for 4 months.

By Disney terms no park is ever complete ;)

Anyways have you seen any of the recent construction update avatar is really an engineering feat that Disney hasn't done before. As someone going into that field it's really amazing.

You know me from my posts on the other Disney site. I am completely pro-DAK and it is my favorite of the Orlando parks. It is the most beautiful and boasts the best immersive theming in Africa and Asia this side of Disney Sea. The diversity is also something I enjoy, from the rides, to the animals and to the shows and entertainment. There is great edutainment in this park also, something that Epcot has lost its way with. The addition of Pandora is something that I have been counting down the days for. This is all just opinion though. Others might not care for DAK at all, but I love it. And in 2017, spending the entire day there to cap it off with an original, non-IP saturated night time water show will be the icing on the cake for me.

Last edited:
I know I'm not the target demo - we're a 30 & 40-something childless couple, but MK is a park that only I go to (for nostalgia's sake), but my husband will go to Universal any opportunity I offer. We spend the majority of our Disney time at DHS and EPCOT.

I do think that UNI did something right in spreading all of their Harry Potter eggs across multiple park baskets. It guarantees that the Harry Potter fan WILL buy a multi-park ticket, or in some cases the ridiculously expensive one-day, two-park ticket. I feel like Disney could've done the same with SW, but again ... maybe not.

I have a Platinum AP, my husband only has a Weekday Select AP. Yet we both have Preferred APs at Universal.

Anyway, not sure this means anything - but I just wanted to weigh-in as a non-traditional demographic.

I know I'm not the target demo - we're a 30 & 40-something childless couple, but MK is a park that only I go to (for nostalgia's sake), but my husband will go to Universal any opportunity I offer. We spend the majority of our Disney time at DHS and EPCOT.

I do think that UNI did something right in spreading all of their Harry Potter eggs across multiple park baskets. It guarantees that the Harry Potter fan WILL buy a multi-park ticket, or in some cases the ridiculously expensive one-day, two-park ticket. I feel like Disney could've done the same with SW, but again ... maybe not.

I have a Platinum AP, my husband only has a Weekday Select AP. Yet we both have Preferred APs at Universal.

Anyway, not sure this means anything - but I just wanted to weigh-in as a non-traditional demographic.

I think it says a ton...as my 40ish mind translates it into what disney has lost site of:

That while it's always going to be mainly about Multigenerational families in the basic sense...there are other wants/needs that should be addressed.

It's not always about beating the characters and small world, Pirates, and haunted mansion into the dust.

Every place has to balance nostalgia and evolution and a particular company I know had been dragging its feet for awhile on the latter.

You know...Olaf on Norway and a different clip for the new soarin booster seats might not be quite enough to have 20 year legs?

You know me from my posts on the other Disney site. I am completely pro-DAK and it is my favorite of the Orlando parks. It is the most beautiful and boasts the best immersive theming in Africa and Asia this side of Disney Sea. The diversity is also something I enjoy, from the rides, to the animals and to the shows and entertainment. There is great edutainment in this park also, something that Epcot has lost its way with. The addition of Pandora is something that I have been counting down the days for. This is all just opinion though. Others might not care for DAK at all, but I love it. And in 2017, spending the wntitr day there to cap it off with an original, non-IP saturated night time water show will be the icing on the cake for me.
Animal Kingdom is a beautiful park, the new work is so detailed and its crazy to think that the same people working on Animal Kingdom also control Epcot.

Btw went to go make an account on another very well known site only to discover....a member has a name close to mine. I think that's the sign I shouldn't join lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter