News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the rumors of expansion are true - this all makes sense. One Man's Dream, Little Mermaid, and Art of Animation are all right next to eachother, along with the Jack Sparrow Pirate thing that closed last year. I've circled all of these in RED on the map below. Just to the North of this is actually where Rock and Roller Coaster is and that whole food court / outdoor restaurant area. Then you have TSMM sort of in the way, but behind to the side of that is the old remnants of the Back-lot tour. (Circled in Orange.)

Meanwhile, there hasn't really been anything said about the area around LMA/Streets of America/Muppetvision/Mama Melrose (Green), which could also go as part of a Star Wars land (they would want to incorporate Star Tours into this as well.. So it's really starting to look like a phased approach. There were some rumors that pathways coming down behind RnRC were going to be coming, and that some backstage areas would be turning into on-stage areas and vice-versa. Seems to me that whatever is going in on the West side of the park will be coming in first. That whole section of the park can be under construction while leaving everything else that is still open open.(Though the Disney Junior show might be closed as well, they definitely could leave that in place.)

I know it's easy to complain about them closing stuff, but think about it as "for the greater good". I think this is so exciting. It's been 17 years since we had a new theme park in Florida, and if the rumors are true (and certainly the closures have indicated they are probably true) we are going to essentially get a 60-70% NEW theme park, which will keep the best stuff (RnRC,ToT, GMR, TSMM, Fantasmic, Star Tours) and completely redo everything else. It could easily go from (IMO) the WORST of the 4 theme parks to possibly #1 or #2 - Again if the near $3 billion rumored spending is true.

It's an exciting time to be a Disney fan. Don't sweat One Man's Dream. Their not going to throw that stuff out.

Thanks for the map and for highlighting the different areas. Makes it a lot easier to imagine.

I'm more excited about the changes to come than I am bummed about everything closing. For a while people were asking for a 5th gate, in a way this is our 5th gate. In few years time we're going to get a practically brand new theme park to visit.

The very first time I went to HS was in 1995, (MGM Studios) and it was really cool. Now it just feels sort of messy, there's no real theme or flow to anything anymore. I cannot wait to see what they do with it. And I can't wait to see how much this thread explodes with comments after D23!

I know it's easy to complain about them closing stuff, but think about it as "for the greater good". I think this is so exciting. It's been 17 years since we had a new theme park in Florida, and if the rumors are true (and certainly the closures have indicated they are probably true) we are going to essentially get a 60-70% NEW theme park, which will keep the best stuff (RnRC,ToT, GMR, TSMM, Fantasmic, Star Tours) and completely redo everything else. It could easily go from (IMO) the WORST of the 4 theme parks to possibly #1 or #2 - Again if the near $3 billion rumored spending is true.

I don't think anyone is arguing the need for DHS to be overhauled. In my opinion the only argument is whether or not it's worthwhile to keep the park open while they do the construction, the only purpose it's really going to be serving right now is to draw some of the crowds away from the bigger parks for half a day, if that.

I don't think anyone is arguing the need for DHS to be overhauled. In my opinion the only argument is whether or not it's worthwhile to keep the park open while they do the construction, the only purpose it's really going to be serving right now is to draw some of the crowds away from the bigger parks for half a day, if that.

Even as stands, HS has enough to "fill" a day if you do most everything. And despite the closures, many guests would be livid that TSMM, RnR, and ToT all closed when they could still be operational.

Even as stands, HS has enough to "fill" a day if you do most everything. And despite the closures, many guests would be livid that TSMM, RnR, and ToT all closed when they could still be operational.

But is it enough to justify charging full price to get into the park? Even the Polynesian was affordable for a while when they had all the construction going on.

While I agree that it's great to see a change coming to DHS, kind of disappointed to see so many closing all at once. We are not a thrill-ride family so TOT, RnR and Star Tours are out (and we are 3 adults so Disney Jr does not appeal). I'm sure we will have a good time, and I know in a few years the park will be amazing, but for now it's a bit of a let down to keep having to re-arrange things because another attraction will be closed.

But is it enough to justify charging full price to get into the park? Even the Polynesian was affordable for a while when they had all the construction going on.
The Polynesian did not really lower prices during construction. Disney is not going to lower prices on tickets for this park. If they did that would open the flood gates for complaints when other rides in other parks are down. Oh pirates is down its ruined my vacation I want a lower priced ticket because I'm not getting the full experience. DCA went through the same type of transition period and they didn't close the park or lower ticket prices.

The Polynesian did not really lower prices during construction. Disney is not going to lower prices on tickets for this park. If they did that would open the flood gates for complaints when other rides in other parks are down. Oh pirates is down its ruined my vacation I want a lower priced ticket because I'm not getting the full experience. DCA went through the same type of transition period and they didn't close the park or lower ticket prices.

I agree - while they SHOULD lower the 1-day ticket price for DHS, they likely won't at all. They have a good argument for not lowering multiday ticket prices. (If you don't like what's in the park - don't go there.) I would agree that even with these additional rumored closures, you COULD fill a whole day at DHS. There's still 6 major shows (IJ, B&tB, LMA, FrozenSA and Fantasmic!) which would eat up at least 4-5 hours of a day (probably more the way they are scheduled.) Then the minor shows (Muppets and Disney Junior - which isn't for everyone) as well as the Streetmosphere performers, and Mulch, Sweat and Shears and the Frozen stage show. Combine that with the 5 rides in the park - as well as eating - and you probably can easily fill 10 hours - again if you do EVERYTHING. Now, that's pretty sad, because even AK takes about 12-14 hours to see EVERYTHING, and Epcot and MK are more on the 20-30 hour range, but there is definitely argument that someone COULD fill a full day in the park.

Our upcoming trip we are expecting to go from 8 AM (EMH) to around 1 PM one day (so 5 hours) and 6 PM to closing another day, so that's around 8-9 hours, though honestly I am a little bit concerned about filling up the time. However, I now definitely want to work in OMD and VotLM, as it will still be August when we are there.

So - how much does everyone want to bet that when they describe this at D23, they won't use the words "Construction or closure" but instead will describe it as a "massive re-imagining of the Disney Hollywood experience!"

Hit the nail right on the head there. :thumbsup2

So - how much does everyone want to bet that when they describe this at D23, they won't use the words "Construction or closure" but instead will describe it as a "massive re-imagining of the Disney Hollywood experience!"
Thats the magic of Disney announcements

With the Pixar expansion it's been said that the street to Pixar place now will become back stage area and the current back stage area will become an on stage area. This would mean a new entrance to TSMM.

Jim Hill was a guest on the Daily Disney Blog, and he says that the Pixar Studio arch will be relocated to where the Animation Courtyard archway is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter