News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Definitely agree more of a series would be better vs a movie (even if movie did have some charm to it)

I think every iteration of the franchise (radio show, novel, mini series, video game, and movie) have all been highly enjoyable. So really I think whatever comes of this, I’ll be a fan, the source material is just gold.

Is there a possibility that 'Home Improvement' will be aired on Disney+?

It probably depends on how much they would have to pay to put it on. Just because it was an ABC production doesn't mean Disney owns the full rights to it.

Home Improvement was produced (and therefore owned) exclusively by Wind Dancer Productions. Disney-ABC was just the distributor. While that doesn't preclude it from appearing on Disney+, it would only happen if Disney pays Wind Dancer.

News

ABC started show Designated Survivor that was picked up by Netflix has been cancelled.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...bP9Ggw6cj9XtGfQ_uEAuQo7f7btwVIGZnEIp58Gy6H-Qk
Kinda too bad. I enjoyed it, especially the 1st season ... but it became one of those streaming shows that took full advantage of no FCC regulations and became “more edgy” with tons of language and more sex. I don’t get why streaming services can’t offer at least a ln additional PG-13 cut with harsh language muted and the unnecessary sex scenes cut.

I loved the first two seasons and was excited when Netflix picked it up but I cringed with all the foul language and sex scenes in the Netflix season.

Ditto. It became a show we had to watch without kids around vs one we could watch while they were playing nearby. I think it also became too political. If I wanted real politics, I’d be watching the news, not Netflix. I hated hearing the f-bomb every other scene. It’s a shame, too, it was a really good show.

News

Looks like Disney is making another Hitchhikers Guide attempt this time on Hulu. Curious if they’re going miniseries or ongoing with this. A multi season adaptation of all 6 books would be great.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/hi...m9kVVNrc0xUVlFBT01tVTdMNDlrb2RudU1XeENqRFAwRA..

OK - I am one of the biggest Hitchhikers' fans in the world and I would have no problem with the idea of them taking another swing at it. The BBC version in the eighties was great with the timing but even at that time the effects were terrible. The movie was just awful, awful, awful. I saw it in the theaters and while there was a few scenes that worked, most of it totally didn't. (The only time Sam Rockwell was ever bad in a role.) Recently tried rewatching on Netflix and it was worse than I remember - just felt completely tone deaf except for Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent. But yes, I would be all for a series and it might even get me to subscribe to Hulu if the reviews were good. (Though admittedly I didn't even watch Dirk Gently, but I wasn't a big Dirk Gently fan.) Doing it as a series where each of the books gives you maybe 6 episodes seems like a perfect pace. However, the books had very diminishing returns after the first 3 - though the 4th is decent the fifth and sixth I would say are not good at all. Having Carlton Cuse involved does not give me a lot of hope for it.

OK - I am one of the biggest Hitchhikers' fans in the world and I would have no problem with the idea of them taking another swing at it. The BBC version in the eighties was great with the timing but even at that time the effects were terrible. The movie was just awful, awful, awful. I saw it in the theaters and while there was a few scenes that worked, most of it totally didn't. (The only time Sam Rockwell was ever bad in a role.) Recently tried rewatching on Netflix and it was worse than I remember - just felt completely tone deaf except for Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent. But yes, I would be all for a series and it might even get me to subscribe to Hulu if the reviews were good. (Though admittedly I didn't even watch Dirk Gently, but I wasn't a big Dirk Gently fan.) Doing it as a series where each of the books gives you maybe 6 episodes seems like a perfect pace. However, the books had very diminishing returns after the first 3 - though the 4th is decent the fifth and sixth I would say are not good at all. Having Carlton Cuse involved does not give me a lot of hope for it.

Ideally I’d see a close adaptation of the first 3 and looser adaptations of the last 3. They weren’t great but there was enough there to make something great. The film was definitely my least favorite incarnation, but I still enjoyed it plenty, it just went through the material too quick. But Martin Freeman and Alan Rickman were perfect.

The two Dirk Gently shows were entertaining but not really Dirk Gently shows, other than being really weird.

Agreed with Designated Survivor comments. Show on TV was good, but writing was ROUGH. Storylines were predictable and cliche. On Netflix, story got WAY better, but they interjected too much needless swearing. Also, every news of they day item was in the storyline, sometimes 2 or 3 per episode.

While that doesn't preclude it from appearing on Disney+, it would only happen if Disney pays Wind Dancer.
Isn't that true of just about any independently produced show? I'm sure its just a matter of negotiating compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter