News Round Up 2016

I wonder how long the initial lease commitments were.

I've been wondering about that for years...

My instincts tell me that the leases are either exhorbinantly high...or Disney cut "hook" deals to try and lure people in and they have no intention of extending them.

I don't think volcom is there to "ride out" any tough times.

It might be too early to draw that kind of conclusion. IIRC the re-theming is not even totally completed, right? I know that at least Planet Hollywood is still in progress. This could have been in the works for a while, and now has the green light because most of the retail/dining stuff is done. Their strategy seems to be to get the retail/dining in first, so that the throngs of people who come for new openings will have plenty of opportunities to spend their money. I don't think it's coincidence that DS is open before Avatar, Toy Story, Star Wars.

I don't have a sense of how busy DS is, or how it is doing financially so this is largely speculation. It just seems more likely to me that they are following part of a long-term plan and moving forward with things that were on the table as options earlier in the process - as opposed to a reactionary decision based on numbers or performance this early.
With the transportation changes, addition of the new parking garage, rumors of characters at World of Disney, and now these new (and rather exciting) rumor, they are positioning themselves to most efficiently funnel cash out of the guest flow that is going to start with the new openings - especially Star Wars. The addition of creative experiences could also have the benefits of making a DS day a "must-do" type of experience, and keep guests away from Universal parks and other local competitors.

I'm excited to follow this as rumors come out about what it will be. I hope I'm not imagining it as something cooler than it will be. :)

If they could make it a "must do" it almost becomes like another day people have to spend at Disney and something to further promote people staying at Disney vs split time at Universal

I also think its for folks who have extended stays. If you are there for 6 or more days, and afternoon walking around Disney Springs and not rushing to rides can be a plus, AND by adding meet and greet you can keep the little ones excited as well.
In January I am spending 9 days at WDW. I most definitely will be spending a day at Disney Springs especially since I am staying at SSR.

I also think its for folks who have extended stays. If you are there for 6 or more days, and afternoon walking around Disney Springs and not rushing to rides can be a plus, AND by adding meet and greet you can keep the little ones excited as well.

Definitely. If my arrival day was not a saturday, I would consider going down there first just to look around. I know princesses are a big draw but hopefully they go with something a little more neutral in the future if this works out.

News

As rumored Characters for Disney Springs are happening and its Princesses...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...yal-reception-this-october-at-disney-springs/

From the blog...

Interested in a royal reception of your own? Visit World of Disney between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. daily from October 1 – November 1, 2016. Once you check in, a cast member will share the approximate wait time and return instructions; when it’s time for you to return to the queue, you’ll be moments away from meeting a Disney Princess.

So, let's say they tell you to come back in 45-60 minutes...what are they hoping you will do during the time? Gee...could it be browse the store and purchase stuff?

It's only 10am to 4pm, so they are probably not seeing enough traffic during the daytime.

So, let's say they tell you to come back in 45-60 minutes...what are they hoping you will do during the time? Gee...could it be browse the store and purchase stuff?

It's only 10am to 4pm, so they are probably not seeing enough traffic during the daytime.
Exactly, they want more of your money especially during the down times of Disney Springs.

In January I am spending 9 days at WDW. I most definitely will be spending a day at Disney Springs especially since I am staying at SSR.
When we go down as a family we usually go 7 days, and use one day for half a day at a water park, the other half at Disney Springs. It makes for a nice break after a couple of days running through the parks.

We always pre-purchase Memory Maker before our trips. Wife has always been a picture fanatic. We also always get the complete photo packages (disc plus all the actual prints) on our cruises. So, some of these things such as a separate line at meet & greets (if it eliminates waits) and picture spots that are exclusive to people with MM have appeal to me for a little higher cost.

News

As rumored Characters for Disney Springs are happening and its Princesses...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...yal-reception-this-october-at-disney-springs/

Others beat me to it - but this tells me that things at Disney Springs are not going as well as planned. You only add a free service like this - and this truly is FREE as anyone could drive in off the streets and sign up - if you are trying to drive sales. Especially telling is the "book a time" portion of it...which says "Don't wait in line! Come back in 2 hours, and in the meantime, enjoy some dining and shopping!"

Edit: That said this is a VERY smart move on Disney's part. For the cost of one princess and a handler and Photopass photographer (what's that $50 a hour?) they could definitely see an increase in sales.

About the banshee ride: "This experience is quite popular, book a Fastpass+ assignment if you can."

OMG - I went on line to book my FP+, and I COULDN'T. It's already sold out. What am I going to DOOOOOO!!!!! :scared1:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter