News on River Country is interesting BUT

darthspud

Mouseketeer
what about Discovery Island?

Does any one know in what condition DI was left in? I would have to imagine that since they basically abandoned RC that they probably did the same thing to DI

I have talked to few cm's about it. Some of the animals could not be moved or captured, so they still have a functioning maintence dock to check & feed them periodically. Any of the non-caged birds that they moved to AK flew back to DI.

As far as the rest of the stuff, I was told it was all deteriorated and overgrown, just like RC. Only a couple of paths are open for them to come in & put out food.

I think it is now called "BIRD POOP" Island. It looks like it has a blanket of snow covering the island now. :scared1:

Another sad memory. Taking the boat across the lake is a sad trip seeing everything falling apart...maybe they think at some point there won't be anyone left who remembers RC, DI and the Swamp Trail.

Interesting!

We saw "Discovery Island" on google earth and were wondering what it was. Thanks for the info.

So, that's what that island was when we rode the boat over to FW last year for the HDDR! I was wondering...makes sense now.

We took a trip to Discovery Island back in the day and what I can remember of it is that the smell was quite strong at that time. I can't imagine what the condition is like now:sad2: While I do have some hope that Disney will someday utilize the River Country area I would imagine the Discovery Island area will be unable to ever be occupied by an attraction.

I once saw a web site where a guy went on a mission and took pictures over there.

You know how those Disney rumors go around. I had heard at one time they were going to make it like an exclusive limited beach retreat with a few luxury rooms/suites with hot tubs, small pools, & situated to where they were mostly secluded from each other. They were going to be for honeymooners, celebrities, or anyone with the money.

I would be surprised if it happens, considering the logistics of transportation, room service, etc.. and where would the buzzards live?

I was thinking just a few days ago they should turn it into a adveture island with a zip line coarse maybe a disc golf coarse, there is plenty they could do that would generate the money they want. A lot of sports have become mainstream since they have shut down Discovery Island.
I say we get a petition started.
ITCH

From what I have heard from a fort CM is that DI isn't a safe place. When someone does go out to the island the team has to carry shotguns. It has been left to the wild and with all the birds living there it has attracked differant animals that enjoy the all you can eat bird buffet.

I was thinking just a few days ago they should turn it into a adveture island with a zip line coarse maybe a disc golf coarse, there is plenty they could do that would generate the money they want. A lot of sports have become mainstream since they have shut down Discovery Island.
I say we get a petition started.
ITCH

My family will sign right on top! My DS and DH are bigtime disc golf junkies, and am everything Disney. Add the two together and we have the perfect spot. Right now we do pretty good with Turkey lake, and Barnett park being so close to Fort Wilderness. But if we could put in Discovery Island, WOW!
Lets go for it!!
:cool1:

Awww come on everybody!! Where's your imagination?? It should be turned into a huge Tiki Bar exclusive to the adult guests of Fort Wilderness!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter