• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

News Alert: Volcanic ash halts European flights, ripples felt globally

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
--------------------
from the Washington Post:
06:53 AM EDT Thursday, April 15, 2010
--------------------

Ash clouds from Iceland's spewing volcano disrupted air traffic across Northern Europe on Thursday as authorities closed British and Nordic air space, shut down Europe's busiest airport at Heathrow and canceled hundreds of flights.

With the major trans-Atlantic hub at Heathrow closed, dozens of flights to the United States were on hold, and cancelations spread across the continent to major hubs at Brussels, Amsterdam, Geneva and Paris, where flights heading north were canceled until midnight.

--------------------
from the Washington Post:
06:53 AM EDT Thursday, April 15, 2010
--------------------

Ash clouds from Iceland's spewing volcano disrupted air traffic across Northern Europe on Thursday as authorities closed British and Nordic air space, shut down Europe's busiest airport at Heathrow and canceled hundreds of flights.

With the major trans-Atlantic hub at Heathrow closed, dozens of flights to the United States were on hold, and cancelations spread across the continent to major hubs at Brussels, Amsterdam, Geneva and Paris, where flights heading north were canceled until midnight.

Wow, that's pretty strange. It's wierder for me as my parents home is within 10 minutes of Heathrow... and my school was under the flight path... I wonder if they noticed the lack of planes overhead?

Wow, that's pretty strange. It's wierder for me as my parents home is within 10 minutes of Heathrow... and my school was under the flight path... I wonder if they noticed the lack of planes overhead?

i would think yes....
the latest i heard is heathrow is closed at least until tomorrow morning...
i feel so bad for anyone who's supposed to be leaving on holiday!!

This is from the Delta Airlines website:
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/flight_status_updates/advisories/iceland_volcano/index.jsp

Iceland Volcano
Last Updated: April 15, 2010, 10:30am EDT

Iceland Volcano has impacted travel to, from, or through parts of Northern Europe. Check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute info about your flight plans, or get updates sent directly to your wireless device or email with Delta Messenger.

Rescheduling Flights
If your flight is canceled or significantly delayed, you are entitled to a refund. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following cities on Delta, Delta Connection®, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.

You can now edit your itinerary here at delta.com, or you may contact Reservation Sales to make changes to your itinerary. Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below.

Destinations affected:
--AMS – Amsterdam
--LGW – London, Gatwick airport
--LHR – London, Heathrow airport

Ryan Air will now be charging for ash.

Or face masks :laughing:

On the news they said they could actually hear birds when out on the runway - this is impacting anyone travelling by air.

I have heard they will stop all flights until 7 tomorrow (not sure if it's am or pm). Hotels near most airports are full, they are not sure how long it will affect flights. I hope it clears up over the weekend, if it lasts until the end of next week we may have to look into getting a boat or train to Europe and getting to Barcelona from there :sad2:

I hope no-one gets stranded :hug: or affected too much.

i would think yes....
the latest i heard is heathrow is closed at least until tomorrow morning...
i feel so bad for anyone who's supposed to be leaving on holiday!!

Yeah, its just as bad as the times when the runways at Heathrow were solid ice, or when Terminal 5 just downright failed. Heathrows usually mostly business travellers, so hopefully not as bad as if this had happened eg, at the beginning of the summer holidays.

Yeah, its just as bad as the times when the runways at Heathrow were solid ice, or when Terminal 5 just downright failed. Heathrows usually mostly business travellers, so hopefully not as bad as if this had happened eg, at the beginning of the summer holidays.

Problem is that it is the end of the Easter holidays, so people are trying to get back for the start of term! :scared:

At least it's mid week. It would have been worse on Friday or Saturday. Hopefully things will be back to normal soon.

Or face masks :laughing:

On the news they said they could actually hear birds when out on the runway - this is impacting anyone travelling by air.

I have heard they will stop all flights until 7 tomorrow (not sure if it's am or pm). Hotels near most airports are full, they are not sure how long it will affect flights. I hope it clears up over the weekend, if it lasts until the end of next week we may have to look into getting a boat or train to Europe and getting to Barcelona from there :sad2:

I hope no-one gets stranded :hug: or affected too much.

HaHa, you laugh, but check this video out of CEO from Ryan Air
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJCuYNvrE8g

Latest update in the UK is that ALL UK airspace is closed for non emergency flights until 7pm (UK) today (Friday)
It is really weird sitting about a mile from the end of heathrows runways and not seeing or hearing any planes

Adam

One day wasn't too bad... Two is a lot worse. Plus at least Frankfurt is looking to close now, so other European airports must be in the same position. The main thing I guess is everyone is safe at least, even if they are inconvenienced.

More BAD news, BBC reports 15 mins ago

BBC NEWS said:
Flights across the UK are to remain grounded for a second day as volcanic ash from Iceland drifts across Europe.
At 0830BST, the air traffic control body Nats extended its unprecedented restrictions on UK airspace until at least 0100BST on Saturday.
However, a small number of services will be permitted into and out of Northern Ireland and western Scotland.
The continuing volcanic eruption caused cancellations across Europe amid fears the ash could cause engine failures.
Experts say the tiny particles of rock, glass and sand contained in the ash cloud from the still-erupting volcano could jam aircraft engines, as has happened in previous incidents of planes flying into plumes of volcanic ash.
Nats, which restricted all UK airspace at 1200BST on Thursday, allowed five flights overnight from North America into Belfast, Prestwick and Glasgow airports overnight as gaps in the cloud became apparent.
The Nats update at 0830 said that flights between Northern Ireland and the western isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow and Prestwick would continue until 1900 on Friday, on a case-by-case basis.
North Atlantic traffic to and from Glasgow, Prestwick and Belfast, it added, may also be allowed until then.
A further update is expected at 1330.

Source:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8623806.stm

Roy

The main thing I guess is everyone is safe at least, even if they are inconvenienced.

They may be safe and inconvenienced, but according to the news, a lot of people just don't understand why they can't fly. I mean, if I was due to fly, then I would happily stay on the ground rather than be in a plane that's engines ceased up due to molten volcanic ash.

Travelling home by train today is going to be fun...

we have lots of friends affected..

el al did something interesting...
their passengers who were stuck in closed european airports were transported by bus/train down to open airports (in italy i guess), to get them on planes and back home to israel.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter