Newly Diagnosed with Diabetes

This thread is so much help. I was recently diagnosed too and I feel so depressed. I didn't know what to do with my life, but after reading your inspiring stories I became more hopeful.
Welcome to the diabetes family! Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions about disney and diabetes (I am heading back to Disney in December and doing my prep work now for it)

This thread is so much help. I was recently diagnosed too and I feel so depressed. I didn't know what to do with my life, but after reading your inspiring stories I became more hopeful.
I know it’s easy for me to say on the other side, but I’m willing to bet that you’ll be surprised how soon it all becomes second nature to you.

I know it’s easy for me to say on the other side, but I’m willing to bet that you’ll be surprised how soon it all becomes second nature to you.
Or, maybe not so much, sorry to have to warn. That's why I cautioned patience previously.

It took over two years or so for DH to be able to maintain pretty consistently. That involved several med adjustments, dosage changes, lots of diet tweaks--very frustrating just when we began thinking we were starting to figure out what worked for him.

Now, at going on 6 years from diagnosis, he can eat an amount of white rice he couldn't have handled early on. That's because we've learned how to balance foods that spike his blood sugar with those that don't like protein and fiber. And, that he found an excellent endocrinologist who is genius at dosage adjusting and medicine combining.

It can take much more time and diligence with the routine than you think it will--or as tintagel suggests, it all may work for you sooner than it did for DH. Every person's adjustment will be as unique as they are.

Or, maybe not so much, sorry to have to warn. That's why I cautioned patience previously.

It took over two years or so for DH to be able to maintain pretty consistently. That involved several med adjustments, dosage changes, lots of diet tweaks--very frustrating just when we began thinking we were starting to figure out what worked for him.

Now, at going on 6 years from diagnosis, he can eat an amount of white rice he couldn't have handled early on. That's because we've learned how to balance foods that spike his blood sugar with those that don't like protein and fiber. And, that he found an excellent endocrinologist who is genius at dosage adjusting and medicine combining.

It can take much more time and diligence with the routine than you think it will--or as tintagel suggests, it all may work for you sooner than it did for DH. Every person's adjustment will be as unique as they are.
It really depends on how well you know the biology behind different foods - I was able to get my dad's type 2 under control for a period of time (until his cancer diagnosis) by balancing his diet based on my background knowledge of biology. The look on his face when he was told he couldn't eat large quantities of his dark chocolate (he thought that was healthy!) was heartbreaking, but made me realize he had no idea how many carbs/lipids/protein was in each food. It's great that you were able to find the balance too!

It really depends on how well you know the biology behind different foods
True that understanding foods is a big piece of the puzzle, but as @Her Dotness mentions it can be very individual as well. I do the meal planning, food shopping and most meal preparation in our house. DD is easily managed and stays within range the vast majority of the time even without meds. DH is a nightmare to find stability. Same foods, his body is just that much more inefficient and uncooperative.

True that understanding foods is a big piece of the puzzle, but as @Her Dotness mentions it can be very individual as well. I do the meal planning, food shopping and most meal preparation in our house. DD is easily managed and stays within range the vast majority of the time even without meds. DH is a nightmare to find stability. Same foods, his body is just that much more inefficient and uncooperative.
It's also completely random some days. Sometimes my DH will eat a whole bowl of pasta. He knows it's bad. But he has to live a little sometimes, and pasta is his favorite.

and then an hour later his sugar will tank and he'll be having a low it takes over an hour to stabilize.

But then like two days later he'll have a half cup of rice and shoot up to like 200 and be high for hours.

Diabetes is like the world's most stressful dice roll some days.

I have Type II and have had it for some time. All of the walking at WDW does help with your blood sugar. The biggest thing to keep track of is alcohol consumption. That can really drive your numbers up. If you drink, try to keep it no more than one with a meal. Obviously sugary snacks can cause blood sugar spikes as well.

Sure your DH isn't sneaking a bit of treats in here and there? I know that would be an easy fix, but that's what used to mess up my dad's numbers. He'd eat a couple of peppermint candies or lifesavers he had stashed in his truck, grab an ice cream at the store, and then wonder why his numbers were way off. If not sneaking treats, have they checked his thyroid?

That would be too easy and it's a rather rude implication. He's been T2 for over 20 years so we aren't new to this game.

That would be too easy and it's a rather rude implication. He's been T2 for over 20 years so we aren't new to this game.
Not meant to be rude - just stating what my dad did and how it affected his numbers. Glad your husband is more honest than my dad was. Are his other endocrine numbers okay, because that can mess things up as well.

For everyone talking about fridges and insulin, check the type of insulin you're using. Many don't have to be refrigerated once they are in use because they expire once opened faster than they would go bad from temperature. I'm a type 1 so my insulin is in a pump which is sitting in my pocket. It gets quite a bit warmer than I'd wager even the inside of a backpack on a summer day being that close to my body and the insulin doesn't go bad. Most insulin is not that heat sensitive but rather is kept refrigerated to extend shelf life until use.

I have Type II and have had it for some time. All of the walking at WDW does help with your blood sugar. The biggest thing to keep track of is alcohol consumption. That can really drive your numbers up. If you drink, try to keep it no more than one with a meal. Obviously sugary snacks can cause blood sugar spikes as well.
This is very good advice. Also be mindful of the type of alcohol. Spirits typically don't have much if any carbohydrate content whereas beer can be loaded with carbs. The alcohol (beer or otherwise) will slow your body's ability to process other foods. Drinking can be tough to manage because you can go low in the short term and then have a massive spike later when your body finally gets around to the carbs. I personally stopped drinking because it was too annoying to keep my control tight and drink but if you're going to drink, be careful to manage how it impacts your BG. Lastly, remember that alcohol will dehydrate you and dehydration has a major impact on BG as well.

Just wonder About using DAS as an insulin dependent diabetic. The heat and standing in long lines could be an issue for my husband. Anyone use DAS as a diabetic?

Just wonder About using DAS as an insulin dependent diabetic. The heat and standing in long lines could be an issue for my husband. Anyone use DAS as a diabetic?
My DAS was granted for this exact reason. It’s impossible for me to adjust my basal in a way that I don’t have unpredictable lows while in the parks because of heat and activity. I carry snacks but sometimes they aren’t enough and I have had to leave lines to fix an issue.

Anyone use DAS as a diabetic?
He will have to explain how he is impacted by waiting in a standard queue environment. Not the diagnosis, but his needs. Some people with diabetes use DAS others find they are fine without it. Keep in mind there may be just as much heat and more walking outside the queue while waiting than in the queue, which is often A/C or at least fans.

He will have to explain how he is impacted by waiting in a standard queue environment. Not the diagnosis, but his needs. Some people with diabetes use DAS others find they are fine without it. Keep in mind there may be just as much heat and more walking outside the queue while waiting than in the queue, which is often A/C or at least fans.
This is so true! We've found most of the queues to be shaded, have air conditioning or fans and misters. It's easier for me (skin cancer issues) to find shade/cool in a queue than waiting outside of one. I get DAS for other issues, and it's tricky finding that waiting place. About the only place to wait out of the sun is in a gift shop. You need to purchase food to have access to a lot of the indoor restaurant seating. We go early in the morning, go back to the hotel for a midmorning/afternoon break and then try to close the parks down. This way we avoid the hottest, most crowded times of the day.

Agree.

Also keep in mind that on any given day, there will be multiple CMs with type 1 or 2 diabetes working in the parks. So, the important thing is to be able to explain briefly what issues he is concerned about with waiting in the traditional line environment.

Agree.

Also keep in mind that on any given day, there will be multiple CMs with type 1 or 2 diabetes working in the parks. So, the important thing is to be able to explain briefly what issues he is concerned about with waiting in the traditional line environment.

Yes it's very situational and the same person may need it one trip and not another or just to use it for one ride here and there when problems crop up.

I did meet a CM with type 1 working at the parks once and they were able to keep a fair amount of low treatment nearby with them. For situations requiring them to dip out temporarily, they said it was not difficult to get coverage. This person was a Florida resident and noted they were used to dealing with the hot weather - also they didn't pump...wasn't quite as common then and neither were cgms. Of course they weren't "on vacation" either which tends to lead to eating differently and way more activity. (My son has type 1 and he was a lot younger when I met this guy - he noticed his pump). This was a while ago though but was interesting. I would love to meet more people with type 1 who work there!

I have a type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) daughter, now an adult, and myself who is a diet controlled type 2 diabetic. Neither of us have ever needed to use a DAS for this purpose. I don't have lows because I strictly control with diet, but my DD does. She wears a cgm and can always see her blood sugar levels and can make any corrections quickly. We always make sure to have the needed supplies on hand and can easily step to the side and correct in lines. You don't have to leave lines to correct, BTW. The only time we've ever had an issue, DD was caught in the crush of people trying to exit after fireworks and had a low. She did drop quickly and we had run out of things to treat since it was the end of the night. We found a seat, and DH ran to a kiosk and told them what was happening and they were able to get her a soda and sugary snack to fix her up.

If your DH does not use a CGM, I highly recommend one! It's been a gamechanger for us in managing diabetes!

For full disclosure, we do use the DAS for her autism and younger DD's autism.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter