• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbies summer 09 trip from PA

skjoy

Earning My Ears
Hey folks. We're a family of 4, my wife and I and two sons 11 and 8. My wife and I we're both at WDW in the 70's and barely remember it. I would like to know of a book or website or guide for TOTAL NEWBIES that I could get. We think we want to stay in the park, and I'm getting a park/cruise quote. I've been reading all your wonderful posts and I'm sure they'll be helpful in themselves. Looking to go in the middle of June and spend 7-9 days where ever. I've been reading about meal passes and they sound like a good idea. Any Newbie info appreciated. Greetings from PA. GO STEELERS!
thanks.

:welcome:
Where in PA are you from? I am originally from Pittsburgh! DH, DS (10yo) and I are huge Steeler fans!
There are lots of guides/books out there...I have used The Unofficial Guide but lots of people swear by Passporters.
If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask...good luck (I think the planning is 1/2 the fun! :cutie: )

10.gif

Having lived in California for a while, I took all my kids to Disneyland. Now that I live in Pa ...We're taking a Spring trip to Orlando complete with the meal pass. Things have sure changed....It's really great that Disney has become accessible for those of us that use wheels for our feets. If only we could fly like Peter Pan, LOL :cool1:

Just wanted to say HELLO:wave2: - we are also from PA (but we're in Eagles territory!) and planning our first family trip in June '09. We are super excited!!!!

This board seems to be a wealth of knowledge - I know I have spent HOURS on here reading posts since I discovered the site a few days ago!

Happy planning!

Kristen, we're north of pittsburg 70 miles in Hermitage.
Scott
Near Sharon?!?!? Ryers Shoes?!?!? Daffin Candy?!?!? :hyper:
Did you get any snow yesterday?!?!? Loved seeing the snow during the Steelers game! :happytv:

We've always used the Birnbaum's book. They also have one for kids, although we've never purchased it. The book has coupons in it, although I have to confess that I always forget about them and we've never used the coupons. :rolleyes1

~ Christina

Hey folks. We're a family of 4, my wife and I and two sons 11 and 8. My wife and I we're both at WDW in the 70's and barely remember it. I would like to know of a book or website or guide for TOTAL NEWBIES that I could get. We think we want to stay in the park, and I'm getting a park/cruise quote. I've been reading all your wonderful posts and I'm sure they'll be helpful in themselves. Looking to go in the middle of June and spend 7-9 days where ever. I've been reading about meal passes and they sound like a good idea. Any Newbie info appreciated. Greetings from PA. GO STEELERS!
thanks.
I my opinion, the best WDW travel guide is The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. I also love their website, www.touringplans.com. I use there Best Days Crowd Calendar to plan all of our park days. Then by knowing which park we will be in on which days, I can plan our ADRs (advance dining reservations). You can make your ADRs as far as 180 days out and I would recommend that you do that as you will be going during a busy time and so that you can get the popular restaurants and the best seating times. I like to use www.allearsnet.com for your restaurant and menu advice.

We've always used the Birnbaum's book. They also have one for kids, although we've never purchased it.

I've bought the original and the kids edition of Birnbaum's Disney books but they are very basic overviews....The Unofficial Guide is much more informative.

Kristineamb,
I am from the Sharon area! Reyers, Daffins, the Winner...yes we got snow yesterday. Even more today. I guess a couple of inches or so, but it wasn't sticking too bad on the roads. Go Steelers!

For the OP, we drove to WDW last year. It took us about 18 hours. We are leaving again 12/13 for Christmas! I would recommend the Unofficial Guide.
Have fun!

Kristen, yes about 5 miles from Beautiful downtown Sharon. Reyers (the worlds largest shoe store). Not much happening there.

Welcome and Hiya Neighbor! We're about a 1/2 hour from you.

I must admit that a few years ago I was a total newbie. Being the newbie I was, I bought the Unofficial Guide and the Passporter, watched the video from Disney, watched all of the Samatha Brown shows on the travel channel and visited this message board a TON! Out of all of them, the most beneficial to us was reading these message boards. There is so much valuable information here, but it can make a newbie feel overwhelmed.

We have since stayed at Pop Century a couple of times, All Star Sports, Wilderness Lodge Villas and Beach Club Villas. Some of the things to keep in mind is that you will not be able to see everything you want to see in one trip. It is best to prioritize what is most important to you and your family. I enjoyed staying on site and visited several different resorts while we were there over the holidays to see some of the decorations. Each of the resorts have their own theme and "feel" to them. I personally love the tranquility of Fort Wilderness and the Wilderness Lodge. There is just a really relaxed feeling I get when I come to either of them through all of the hustle and bustle of Disney. It's just amazing!

The other thing to think of is what parks you want to visit and how much time you want to allow for each park. For us, we spend most of our time between Epcot and Magic Kingdom with a token day to MGM and a 1/2 day for Animal Kingdom. We have had park hoppers, but for us we would have been fine to have regular passes.

We have made plans with and without the dining plan and at that time I preferred to go with the dining plan. I have heard that there were changes made, but I have not looked into what those changes consisted of since I don't have a planned date to go back yet. Make reservations well ahead of time if you plan to visit any of the more popular restaurants like Le Cellier, Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Chef Mickey's, O'Hana, Crystal Palace, Whispering Canyon, Cinderella's Royal Table, etc.

I have never planned a vacation like I did when we went down to disney. I had it scheduled out which park we were going to on which day with reservations for our dinners the entire time with some flexibility built in. Make sure to schedule down time as well! There is a ton of walking there and a lot of go go go. My family enjoyed the time we didn't have the dining plan because it was a more of a fly by the seat of your pants type vacation with only a couple of reservations for dinner and had more counter service restaurants then.

Make sure you read through the Resorts and Restaurants boards on here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Welcome!!! and from what I have read on this thread I am going to have to check out Unofficial Guide, we usually get birmbaums!

BTW, I am in Philly area, but have alot of family outside of pittsburg in butler. My mom is from Mars :laughing:

We're in Hubbard, done 41 trips to see the mouse and headed for trip 42 end of January. Our last 12-15 trips have been on Amtrak. I do not fly but have driven a bunch of times when the children we around and we were younger. Now we relax, sit back and watch the scenery. Hope you enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter