newbie toilet question, haha

BeckyScott

<font color=magenta>I am still upset that they don
So I am buying all the "stuff" we need for our little house on wheels. I was at Wal-Mart and picked up a box of "Campa-Chem" for the holding tank.

And of course, I got home and started reading the box, and had a bit of a freak-out. :eek:

Um, is there something else we can use, or some nice environmental/ non-cancerous :scared: product on the market? This stuff had so many warnings on it that they almost covered the whole box. I am not entertaining the thought of my kids sleeping 4 feet away from this junk.

I don't use alot of chemicals to clean our house, I buy natural stuff as much as possible. Please somebody tell me there is an alternative.

Don't freak! There are enzyme based tank chemicals that do a good job. I can't remember what we use but I'll check tomorrow and post the name. A google search and a look at www.rv.net and www.irv2.com will also have good information.

Another thing, if you keep plenty of water in your holding tank while parked and have a site with sewer hook up, tank chemicals aren't always needed. The water in the septic tank helps to dissolve toilet paper and breaks up the poop:eek:. The more stuff under water, the less the smell and the easier to dump. I didn't believe this at first but it's true.

I guess there really are people out there whose poop doesn't stink!:scared1: ;)

Trust me, it stinks. Your nose just gets use to it but when someone else walks in...they can smell it, especially if they use the toilet. But I am amazed at the number of people who think it does not. Water actually exacerbates the smell, not hold it in.;)

Walmart also sells environment friendly holding tank chemicals in the smae area you picked up the other stuff. Just take it back and get the other stuff.

Big kahuna 1, I didn't say my poop doesn't stink. That was an unkind remark. I also didn't write that I don't use tank chemicals, we do.

I wrote that having enough water in the tank lessens the smell and helps break up up the poop... that the water lessens the smell. The water lessens the area for the methane gases, decreases dried piles of poop and paper and lessens the odor.

I'm talking short time and with a sewer hook up. I should have been clearer on that. The tank would need to be drained more often.

Slinking off to lick my wounds.

I don't think Big Kahuna was making an unkind remark, I thought it was a funny remark. Here in the South sometimes it is said that a snooty person "thinks their poop don't stink" BK was playing on that.

BeckyScott, there's also another alternative than keeping the toilet in the tent with you. We were thinking about one of these for some of our primitive camping:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=28641761&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1
I saw a cheaper one at Wal-mart next to the tents.

hmm...maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the tank this morning. ;) Come to think of it, I do sound a little poop sensitive. :rolleyes:

Thanks Tent Camping Mom.:love:

Well I'm not planning on loading up the thing too bad but trust me, the poop around here does stink. :thumbsup2 If we're close enough to a real flush toilet, I'll be encouraging everyone to take a walk to that. Probably the motorhome one will mostly be for late-night visits.

I will have to go back to Wally-World and take a look. This stuff was on an endcap, should have been my first clue.

Good heavens, I'm discussing poop with strangers.

So I am buying all the "stuff" we need for our little house on wheels. I was at Wal-Mart and picked up a box of "Campa-Chem" for the holding tank.

And of course, I got home and started reading the box, and had a bit of a freak-out. :eek:

Um, is there something else we can use, or some nice environmental/ non-cancerous :scared: product on the market? This stuff had so many warnings on it that they almost covered the whole box. I am not entertaining the thought of my kids sleeping 4 feet away from this junk.

I don't use alot of chemicals to clean our house, I buy natural stuff as much as possible. Please somebody tell me there is an alternative.

We use that same stuff from Walmart and believe me, with the heat from the summer you want something that really works.

We had to take our RV down to drop it off at the radiator shop today so he could start work on it in the morning. DH forgot to put the the "sweet smelling stuff" when we returned a couple of weeks ago from WDW, and when we got going, I kept blaming the DS3 for the smell! :lmao: Just remember, all the enzymes have to break down the "stuff" so we can all be safe and not get sick. All the same warnings are on my RIDX box that I put down the toilet for the septic here too. It kind of makes me un-nervy to do it, but I keep telling myself it is for the greater good of mankind! Here is in hopes that you find what you need at WalMart. They got a good bit of my money today!:thumbsup2

I'd stay at the Floridian, there you don't need any chemicals, you'd probably be happier.

Now Gatordad, no need for sarcasm!

I'm still on the learning curve with this whole thing.

Besides, we already blew the Floridian money buying the RV. :confused3

alright, i let my sarcastic streak rear it's ugly head.

I wouldn't worry abot the chemicals, you'll be fine.

Wal-Mart or Campers World does sell a natural based chemical. I'd go to www.rvforum.net they are quite helpful over there and they may have some other excellent suggestions. I was a regular there before finding my long lost displaced family here.

If you want to read more info about RV pooh than Mike Rowe has talked about on his Dirty Jobs program search GEO Method.

One thing for sure is that the use of RID-X in a rv holding tank is not needed. It is also not needed in a home septic tank since the tank has everything required to work properly starting with the first flush. Where septic systems start to get into trouble is when too much detergents, grease and other STUFF is put into the system that does not belong in there.

If I am at a campground with the family I will not use anything but water (and lots of it), and will usally dump the tank about once a day. If the rv is going to be somewhere I can not dump the tank on a regular bases then I will use a product from camping world.

waaambulance.jpg

One thing for sure is that the use of RID-X in a rv holding tank is not needed. It is also not needed in a home septic tank since the tank has everything required to work properly starting with the first flush. Where septic systems start to get into trouble is when too much detergents, grease and other STUFF is put into the system that does not belong in there.

I bought a house in foreclosure years ago and when I had the septic drain field inspected, I was >told< to put it there. The house was a rental before they renters skipped out on the landlord. I should have been more specific in saying I had a drain field and not a septic tank. Sorry. I hope it didn't come off that I was advocating putting RIDX in the rv's. That is not what I was saying at all!

Our rule (and ours is only a Port A Pottie) is that it is only for middle of the night/first thing in the morning urinating. Any other business, go to the comfort station. Most folks I know have the same rule for their RVs.

Our rule (and ours is only a Port A Pottie) is that it is only for middle of the night/first thing in the morning urinating. Any other business, go to the comfort station. Most folks I know have the same rule for their RVs.

I am so glad we are not the only ones that do that! We call them Code Yellows and they stay in the RV and Code Browns are at the comfort station!

Well here is our solution.... "NO # 2 in the loo!" That has been our rule from day one. We have not camped at a no facilities campground yet, so I am sure that rule will take a temporary hiatus should we do that, but for now, those "long" potty visits are done at the bath house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter