• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie to the whole Universal thing

Disneyfreak616

DIS Veteran
I have visited WDW countless times and DLR twice, so I know how they work. This summer we will be visting WWOHP for the very first time and yes, I am aware that it is at IOA and I can just purchase a one-day, one-park pass, but I was wondering how much time you would set aside to see JUST WWOHP, with all other parts of IOA aside? Also, do you need seperate tickets for CityWalk, or is it free, like Downtown Disney? We were thinking about grabbing an early dinner there at Bubba Gump's. How are the prices at Bubba Gump's? Thanks so much for any help! Sorry for being so uninformed! :confused3

I have visited WDW countless times and DLR twice, so I know how they work. This summer we will be visting WWOHP for the very first time and yes, I am aware that it is at IOA and I can just purchase a one-day, one-park pass, but I was wondering how much time you would set aside to see JUST WWOHP, with all other parts of IOA aside? Also, do you need seperate tickets for CityWalk, or is it free, like Downtown Disney? We were thinking about grabbing an early dinner there at Bubba Gump's. How are the prices at Bubba Gump's? Thanks so much for any help! Sorry for being so uninformed! :confused3
There's no real way to gauge the crowds and the wait times in the summer. WWoHP was a madhouse last summer and I expect more of the same this year. You will probably need to set most of the day aside for WWoHP. CityWalk is free so you don't need tickets. You would need to pay for parking for CityWalk but since you're already going to be there, you don't need to pay again.

Do you think it will be just as crowded this summer? Ugh.

OP, definitely plan to get to WWoHP first thing and then spend the rest of the day touring the other attractions. Those will probably be crowded too but not as bad!

You can also sometimes catch WWoHP not as crowded in the evenings and Hogwarts is really beautiful at night.

I've never been to Bubba Gumps but do have their website saved. He is a page linking to menus: http://www.bubbagump.com/menus/

Just keep in mind for all those visiting in July that the 13th-17th might be days you want to avoid. Leaky Con is there for those 5 days and that will make the WWoHP an absolute madhouse. It's one of the biggest and most popular Potter conventions in the fandom. As of right now there is one private in park event planned. However, many will be using the regular park operating hours to visit the park on their own as many of the big convention events are nighttime activities such as the Wizard Rock Concert series and the midnight Deathly Hallows Pt 2 release.

So just a heads up for anyone planning that particular week that you better pack your patience because a couple thousand Potter nerds will be joining you.:thumbsup2

I have visited WDW countless times and DLR twice, so I know how they work. This summer we will be visting WWOHP for the very first time and yes, I am aware that it is at IOA and I can just purchase a one-day, one-park pass, but I was wondering how much time you would set aside to see JUST WWOHP, with all other parts of IOA aside? Also, do you need seperate tickets for CityWalk, or is it free, like Downtown Disney? We were thinking about grabbing an early dinner there at Bubba Gump's. How are the prices at Bubba Gump's? Thanks so much for any help! Sorry for being so uninformed!

How long of a vacation is it and how many days do you want to devote to the Universal Studios IOA thing. Perhaps one day just for WWOHP and a second for the rest of IOA might be feasible if it's a long vacation.

We will be in Orlando for 7 days...4 days at Disney parks, 2 to hang out at DTD and our resort (the Poly) and one day at WWOHP.

You will probably need to set most of the day aside for WWoHP.

If we get there for park opening, will we really need to set aside the whole day for HP? We are not huge fans, but definitely want to see Hogwarts and do the rides. How long will that take? What else is there? We will be there in the beginning of August.

Thanks!

If we get there for park opening, will we really need to set aside the whole day for HP? We are not huge fans, but definitely want to see Hogwarts and do the rides. How long will that take? What else is there? We will be there in the beginning of August.

Thanks!
If you meant what is in Universal by your "what else is there" question, Islands of Adventure is a fairly large themepark with several distinctly themed areas with their own attractions. This doesn't even include the original Universal Studios themepark. If you meant only HP then the big problem is the large crowds. Also, do you plan to shop or eat in HP?

I meant what else was in WWoHP. We do not plan to eat or shop there. May wander through the shops but we don't have any desire to purchase any HP items. Thanks!

Flight of the Hippogriff (tame coaster formerly known as Flight of the Unicorn) and Dragon Challenge (formerly Dueling Dragons and very intense floorless dueling coaster) - Those are the other attractions at Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

I meant what else was in WWoHP. We do not plan to eat or shop there. May wander through the shops but we don't have any desire to purchase any HP items. Thanks!
The problem with the large crowds is just getting into the area. If large crowds are expected then a pass entry system will be instituted as it is this weekend. That means you will get a pass to return at a certain time just to enter WWoHP. I hope it won't come to that but I have a feeling we will see lots of that this summer.

Thanks!
No...I don't think you will have to plan the whole day just for WWoHP but it could end up being several hours depending on the crowds.

I don't want to hijack your thread, but we will be taking our first trip to IOA in October during a pre-cruise stay at Disney World and I have a couple of questions, too. Can anyone please share the best way to get from a Disney resort to IOA? Should we get a cab and how far is the distance (will it take 1/2 an hour or ???)?

We'll have a Friday and a Saturday before we board the cruise, which day would be better? What time should we arrive? Where is the best place to get the best price on tickets? What rides are must do (I'll be with DH, and 2 17 year old boys!)?

Thanks in advance!! popcorn::

I don't want to hijack your thread, but we will be taking our first trip to IOA in October during a pre-cruise stay at Disney World and I have a couple of questions, too. Can anyone please share the best way to get from a Disney resort to IOA? Should we get a cab and how far is the distance (will it take 1/2 and hour or ???)?
Please read this thread. It should answer your questions:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2494908

I would say one day opening to almost closing in July for WWoHP and most of IOA. I would get there way before opening. If they are still handing out tickets and lining people up for WWoHP entry then you want to be some of the first in line. Currently onsite guests get in 1 hour earlier. So when the let in the other visitors there will be people in there.

WWoHP attractions-
Ollivanders Wand SHop-hit this first, lines are insane and not covered
HP and the FJ- this is the next one to do
Dueling Dragons- good coaster if you like coasters, theming is good too
Flight of Hippogriff, kiddy coasters with good theming, bow to the hippogriff ;)

Shops include Owl Post, Wand shop next to Ollivanders, Honeydukes and Zonkos
Check out the bathrooms early on too you can hear Moaning Myrtle talking

Don't worry about us Potter nerds coming to USF/IOA, we will be in conference events all day long and all night long too for that matter. :banana::banana::wizard::wizard: It's the day before and after the conference that will cause crowds at IOA. (the 12th,13th, 17th and 18th)

I don't want to hijack your thread, but we will be taking our first trip to IOA in October during a pre-cruise stay at Disney World and I have a couple of questions, too. Can anyone please share the best way to get from a Disney resort to IOA? Should we get a cab and how far is the distance (will it take 1/2 and hour or ???)?

We'll have a Friday and a Saturday before we board the cruise, which day would be better? What time should we arrive? Where is the best place to get the best price on tickets? What rides are must do (I'll be with DH, and 2 17 year old boys!)?

Thanks in advance!! popcorn::

It's okay, I was going to ask these questions anyway! So go ahead, hijack away! :thumbsup2

Ok well since you are allowing hijaking I will hijack away also! I am basically in the same position as the OP.... normal WDW people who have never been to anything offered by Universal who are trying it for one day.

We will go to IOA. We will not be staying onsite however.

I am really wondering what to expect for crowds for the second week in August. Planning on IOA for a Sunday (the 7th).

Also wondering about a strategy where we see the rest of the park first and come back to WWoHP at night. Would you even attempt this with summer crowds?

Harry Potter is important to us and a highlight for sure but not the whole reason we are visiting. Kids are also big Marvel fans. Any advice appreciated!

Another hijacker. We're going to WDW the week before Easter. DH and DD11 are interested in going to Universal for the Harry Potter stuff. I'm not sure if it's worth it to try this trip. I've heard that the crowds are still crazy and I'm assuming the week before Easter is just as busy there as it is at Disney.

Any opinions? Should we wait for another trip? I'm not even sure what else would be included in our ticket- just IOA right? It will be DH, me, DD11 and DD8. I'm not sure what other rides/attractions there are at IOA.

Guess I need to do some research.

another hijacker!!! Also first time considering cheating on Mickey Mouse with Harry Potter!!! :scared1:;) My questions are pretty much the same as the OP's questions!

My step kids will be 12 and 9. My step son (9) is OBSESSED with roller coasters. Beyond obsessed. This is the first year the kids have asked about IOA and the WWoHP. We've done Disney every year since 2006. We stay onsite every year. So I'm just trying to figure out how to fit this little side trip in. I don't know if it would be better to do this at the beginning or the end of the trip. I'm sort of a control freak as it is...and planning and organizing Disney and dining and all the rest keeps me quite busy. Adding another park into the mix, that I've never been to before makes my control freak monster a little louder than normal. Research is the key!!!:thumbsup2

I was also interested in how much time to devote to this park(s).

If you have coaster monkeys, you will love Universal! Take a day for each park if you can. Stay one night on property and get early entry and FOTL for both days! I'm so excited for you- you are in for a wonderful surprise!!!! And WWoHP is worth getting up early for. You will love FOTL if you try it- its hard to go back to waiting in lines though, so do Disney first so Universal doesn't spoil you too bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter