• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie Questions

ash&abby'smom

Princess Ballerinas<br><font color=deeppink>Love,
Do you always purchase Travel insurance for cruises? This is our first cruise going next February. On any other type vacation, I never purchase insurance. My daughters friend will be on the reservation but I'm not sure yet if she can go, but based on advice from others on here I'm booking for her in case she can and will cancel her later. So should I have insurance for that reason and I can get it for just her, correct? Any advice on insurance is greatly appreciated.

Also, can I get disney transportation from the port to a resort? It wasn't an option when booking the cruise or do I need to do private transportation. There will be 4 of us. If we book private, what time do you schedule to be picked up from the port?

I think we are going to try to fly in the night before and try to stay at the hotel at the airport. Is this a good idea and take disney shuttle to the port on cruise day? Any advice here is so appreciated.

I feel like a pro at Disney World, but completely lost for a cruise.

Thank you in advance.

I booked with insurance when I normally never would. Why? It's a lot of money being spent for a way future date with no guarantee that something won't happen. Hurricanes (especially May-October) can disrupt or cancel a trip (or you may be hesitant to go if there is a hurricane in the Atlantic). Illness, injury, death in the family. You just never know what will happen and the cancellation times are very strict on the cruises. Unless you are doing a last minute cruise (booking less than a few weeks out) I would have insurance.

Do you always purchase Travel insurance for cruises? This is our first cruise going next February. On any other type vacation, I never purchase insurance. My daughters friend will be on the reservation but I'm not sure yet if she can go, but based on advice from others on here I'm booking for her in case she can and will cancel her later. So should I have insurance for that reason and I can get it for just her, correct? Any advice on insurance is greatly appreciated.

Also, can I get disney transportation from the port to a resort? It wasn't an option when booking the cruise or do I need to do private transportation. There will be 4 of us. If we book private, what time do you schedule to be picked up from the port?

I think we are going to try to fly in the night before and try to stay at the hotel at the airport. Is this a good idea and take disney shuttle to the port on cruise day? Any advice here is so appreciated.

I feel like a pro at Disney World, but completely lost for a cruise.

Thank you in advance.

I normally don't do travel insurance. I've been on 15 cruises and I don't think I've ever purchased insurance.

Look into private transportation. 4 people is roughly the crossover point between DCL transport and private car services. A car service would be quicker, but would lack the bells and whistles of the DCL bus service. Personally, I prefer car service when the money is roughly even. We've used Happy Limo in the past and been satisfied with their services. Others have recommended different providers they like as well. There are several options to choose from.

The ship should clear Customs and debarkation usually begins around 7:30. I'd allow up to 30 minutes to gather your bags and clear Customs personally. Private car services usually give you a small window after your scheduled pick-up then they start charging you if they have to wait, so I'd say 8:30 or 9:00. That way if there is a delay on the ship, you will have a little more wiggle room. DCL transport will work for you as well, so if their price is in your wheelhouse, don't let me change your mind.

I vote a resounding YES to cruise insurance....unless you r walking to port from your house, there are just too many things which can go wrong. A while back, there was a post of someone stuck in traffic and trying to make embarkation!!
Hyatt MCO is wonderful! Look into car rental and drop off near port (there are a few options)..IF u r traveling with a family, it usually works out to be substantially cheaper. Its a value thing: how much is it worth to u to just hop on a shuttle from the airport?

OH! and ABSOLUTELY fly in the day before...it gives u a chance to unwind and board the ship with less harried stress AND, if there is a plane delay,you have a cushion of time....

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE

I second the vote for YES to travel insurance. I was reminded again last week of the importance, after a friend had a massive heart attack while vacationing in Cabo San Lucas. He didn't survive, and his wife, another friend, had to figure everything out by herself. Yes, it can be a lot of money, but for a "what if" scenario, it makes perfect sense. I get it for all my cruises, and many of my other vacations other than weekend getaways.

The only insurance I buy is health insurance. Ask for the highest deductiable in a second quote. You should see significant savings. Do you travel often? Consider an annual plan for additional savings.

With regards to delays.... I fly in a few days early and leave on a later flight. Enjoy my time at the departure port.

Are you paying on a premium credit card.... it will offer some coverage.

I never purchased travel insurance until I couldn't fly out for a cruise from Chicago one winter a few years ago and missed it altogether. I could have lost every penny of my cruise fare since I had not booked air through DCL, but DCL generously offered to allow us to book another cruise within 6 months and transfer our payments. AMAZING SERVICE. Now I always purchase insurance during winter months (I use an outside party, not DCL because the price is better), but I admit I still take my chances during the rest of the year. However, I also learned to never, ever plan to fly in the day of your trip - always travel at least one full day before if you're flying to MCO. This way I end up spending a bit more for a hotel overnight, but have a little "insurance" knowing I will likely be able to fly into MCO if I at least give myself 24 hours to spare when coming from a major airport. It is still a slight risk, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would advise against it. For us it really is a cost issue. But if money is not a concern I would absolutely recommend insurance (and flying in the day before!) for every single cruise.

Absolutely get the trip insurance. As mentioned by others, things that can happen include flight delays that cause you to miss the ship, getting ill while on board and having to go to an overseas hospital or fly home, getting injured on an excursion and needing emergency care or having to fly home, having to cancel last minute due to the death or illness of a family member, cancellations due to hurricane, snowstorm, etc., etc. Chances are you will not need it - we haven't so far - but it is not that expensive to get basic coverage, and you'll be glad you have it if you do need it.

We always fly in at least a day before. We flew recently on a short Spring Break trip (not cruise related), and we ended up sitting in the Atlanta airport and landing in Indy three hours late, just...because. No weather delay, no apparent mechanical issue. Delays can happen for something as simple as a flight crew is stuck in another city. There are website where you can enter what you are looking for and get competitive quotes.

Trip insurance would typically cover these situations:
1. Can't take cruise because of unexpected event
Typical covered reasons include a health crisis in you or a close relative or a major storm affecting your ability to reach the ship. Some insurance will also cover problems such as inability to travel due to work requirements. Some insurance includes "cancel for any reason" coverage, but these must usually be booked as soon as you make your final (or even initial) payment.

2. Need to leave cruise early due to unexpected event
Again, this would typically be a health problem in a traveler or traveler's family. The insurance would reimburse you for the part of the cruise that you missed. Pre-existing conditions (anything for which someone sought treatment within the previous several months) may not be covered -- check policies carefully.

3. Need medical treatment during cruise
This can include treatment onboard ship, treatment in a local clinic or hospital, and transportation home (which can be very expensive, especially if it requires airlifting or other special treatment).

I don't buy trip insurance when I travel within the US, because hotel stays can usually be cancelled on a day's notice and my health insurance will cover most treatment. That is, even if a problem occurs, it won't cost me that much out of pocket.

I do buy trip insurance for cruises, because the cost of cancelling a trip is largely non-refundable close to sailing and because medical costs out of the country could be high.

Five years ago, I had a major, completely unforeseen medical crisis shortly after final payment for a Mediterranean cruise. I held off cancelling the cruise in the hopes that I'd be able to take it, but my doctor advised against travel overseas (or anywhere with an airplane flight). I cancelled just a few weeks before the cruise. I was able to get a full refund of the cruise fare for myself and my family (minus the cost of insurance, of course).

As others have said, you should shop around for the best travel insurance to meet your particular needs, which may not be the plan that Disney Cruise suggests.

If you and everyone in your family is in good health, you're not traveling at a time likely to have bad weather, and you're taking an inexpensive cruise, it may not be worth the cost of insurance (or it might). If any of those conditions are not met, I'd get the insurance.

We always get travel insurance (but not from DCL). Unless you are willing to be out the money for the cruise/trip then you will want to consider insurance. Too many things can happen....especially now days.

When purchasing insurance from another company other than DCL, which level do you choose? Is silver adequate or is more better?

We get insurance through USAA. If you buy it within 30 days of your initial payment it covers preexisting conditions, which we consider a must. It's amazing what they might consider preexisting that would not be covered otherwise. I also have a 93-year-old mother and that is a consideration with emergencies for her.

I've said this a few times before, but I don't think it hurts to repeat. I agree with the above posters that travel insurance is a must and to not go through DCL because its expensive and only covers that portion. We typically go with Travel Guard and the main reason is because we have had a claim and they were super easy to work with....and it had nothing to do with not being able to make it TO the cruise. Let me tell you a story....

We went on a wonderful 3 day DCL in May of 2011. It was me, my hubby and 2.5 yo. We got off on Sunday and because of the flight schedules, we didn't get a flight until Monday. (trying to fly free isn't the most convenient sometimes.) We woke up very early Monday morning to catch our ME bus to the airport at 7:30am to see I have a missed call on my phone telling me my flight has been cancelled and we were booked on a flight for Tuesday. The reason for the cancellation - mechanical failure. We called trying to get one faster and it wasn't happening so we make the best of it and go to Magic Kingdom but not after securing a new ME time on Tuesday, another night of hotel and getting tickets to MK. While I called the airline, DH called travel guard and we started our claim because now we had meals and a hotel room we weren't planning on having. Tuesday morning arrives, we get another phone call, flight cancelled again. This time for weather. So this time we choose to switch hotels to see another property so we go to Coronado Springs. At this point we are out of clothes so we do laundry at CS and hang out by the pool. We are again, booked on another flight for Wednesday, this time through Chicago(we were thru DFW before). We again get up, this time we actually make it to the airport to find out our flight is delayed. We get on the flight which took 1 hour longer than it should have because of weather and we land 1hr 15min late causing us to miss our connection flight. So we spend the night in Chicago, booked for another flight Friday morning. We had to make the airlines get our luggage back because we were suppose to be connecting so we wait 90 min for that to happen. The next morning, you guessed it, cancelled. We HAVE to get back to work and home so this time we rent a car and drive 9 HOURS home. It was the worst end to a great vacation. All with a 2.5 yo. Total cost of our delay - $1250. Travel Guard paid for all of it. Our hotels, food and even our rental car back. The only thing we were out was the MK tickets on Monday. So I now am a firm believer in trip insurance.

Oh and the airlines wouldn't comp us a hotel room because it was all due to weather. Even though our first flight was mechanical failure because we were not at the airport to make a claim, we were unable to get any comp hotel rooms from them. We did however, get 40k in airline miles added to our account after a few phone calls.

We always get travel insurance for cruises, because there are so many variables. Many companies include children for free, which can be great. I am taking the Panama Canal cruise with my sons in a few weeks, and the insurance was $79 through Allianz for a good policy. I also use TravelGuard sometimes, depending on who offers the best price. That's what I have for my October cruise.

I've said this a few times before, but I don't think it hurts to repeat. I agree with the above posters that travel insurance is a must and to not go through DCL because its expensive and only covers that portion. We typically go with Travel Guard and the main reason is because we have had a claim and they were super easy to work with....and it had nothing to do with not being able to make it TO the cruise. Let me tell you a story....

We went on a wonderful 3 day DCL in May of 2011. It was me, my hubby and 2.5 yo. We got off on Sunday and because of the flight schedules, we didn't get a flight until Monday. (trying to fly free isn't the most convenient sometimes.) We woke up very early Monday morning to catch our ME bus to the airport at 7:30am to see I have a missed call on my phone telling me my flight has been cancelled and we were booked on a flight for Tuesday. The reason for the cancellation - mechanical failure. We called trying to get one faster and it wasn't happening so we make the best of it and go to Magic Kingdom but not after securing a new ME time on Tuesday, another night of hotel and getting tickets to MK. While I called the airline, DH called travel guard and we started our claim because now we had meals and a hotel room we weren't planning on having. Tuesday morning arrives, we get another phone call, flight cancelled again. This time for weather. So this time we choose to switch hotels to see another property so we go to Coronado Springs. At this point we are out of clothes so we do laundry at CS and hang out by the pool. We are again, booked on another flight for Wednesday, this time through Chicago(we were thru DFW before). We again get up, this time we actually make it to the airport to find out our flight is delayed. We get on the flight which took 1 hour longer than it should have because of weather and we land 1hr 15min late causing us to miss our connection flight. So we spend the night in Chicago, booked for another flight Friday morning. We had to make the airlines get our luggage back because we were suppose to be connecting so we wait 90 min for that to happen. The next morning, you guessed it, cancelled. We HAVE to get back to work and home so this time we rent a car and drive 9 HOURS home. It was the worst end to a great vacation. All with a 2.5 yo. Total cost of our delay - $1250. Travel Guard paid for all of it. Our hotels, food and even our rental car back. The only thing we were out was the MK tickets on Monday. So I now am a firm believer in trip insurance.

Oh and the airlines wouldn't comp us a hotel room because it was all due to weather. Even though our first flight was mechanical failure because we were not at the airport to make a claim, we were unable to get any comp hotel rooms from them. We did however, get 40k in airline miles added to our account after a few phone calls.

Wow. Crazy story. And you would not expect that many travel delays in May. It tends to be a pretty travel pleasant month by most standards- after snow and ice time but before hurricanes.

OP, I usually get travel insurance too. Mainly I get it because my boss does not approve my vacation until the last minute (head games) so I technically could have to cancel and DH's work could cancel his vacation due to staff shortage (he works at a prison so they have 24 hour staffing needs). We usually get Travel guard because one of the policies (gold I think) covers cancel for work reasons. And now that we have a small child we are either traveling with her and want to make sure we have insurance so we are not stranded somewhere with her or without her and again, don't want to be stranded away from her.

We buy insurance from an insurance website that compares many companies. I am not sure if I am allowed to say the name on her, so I won't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter