• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie Questions????

ZebraDomeCrazy

Silliness is one of my best qualities!
Hi all,

We just joined DVC last week while on vacation! Now we are home, and realize we have many questions. Our home is AKL (yaayyy!). We are planning two trips during 2013. One in June at Kidani, then one in December at BWV. I understand we cannot book a different resort until seven months out. Should we book Kidani at the 11 month mark for the December trip, then switch at 7 months, to be sure to atleast be certain to get a place for the trip? Is this a standard practice? I kinda feel like we would be "cheating" the system a bit. If everyone did this, there would be so many "false" bookings, nobody would find availability when they wanted it. At the same time, I would hate to wait for the 7 month mark, only to find out that I couldn't get a room at either resort!

Please help!! Thanks so much - and please be warned... I am going to have ALOT of questions for all of you, lol!:confused3:goodvibes

Jane

ZebraDomeCrazy said:
Hi all,

We just joined DVC last week while on vacation! Now we are home, and realize we have many questions. Our home is AKL (yaayyy!). We are planning two trips during 2013. One in June at Kidani, then one in December at BWV. I understand we cannot book a different resort until seven months out. Should we book Kidani at the 11 month mark for the December trip, then switch at 7 months, to be sure to atleast be certain to get a place for the trip? Is this a standard practice? I kinda feel like we would be "cheating" the system a bit. If everyone did this, there would be so many "false" bookings, nobody would find availability when they wanted it. At the same time, I would hate to wait for the 7 month mark, only to find out that I couldn't get a room at either resort!

Please help!! Thanks so much - and please be warned... I am going to have ALOT of questions for all of you, lol!:confused3:goodvibes

Jane

Hello! Welcome Jane! Great home resort! Dw and I have SSR and love it but next May we are staying at AKL kidani as it always looks so nice. We often visit so we are going to try it! Cant wait. Love the idea of the animals. We did the 11 month then 7 month switch. If this is naughty I don't know a CM actually suggested it to us so I never consider it a problem but if somebody tells me different I will change this in the future! There are lots of rooms at SSR so normally getting a room at 7 months not an issue but I need an accessible room so higher risk of waiting. We also like 'half and half' idea for next time as we come for 2 weeks do 7 days at SSR and 7 days another resort :-) again we will book all 14 nights at SSR then at 7 months see if they have AKL again for 7.

Btw I did not get a savannah view as it was fully booked so if you want a view might be worth getting one at 11 months just in case.

If you have any other questions fire away! We also do a cruise every other year. We love the dream.

Hi Jane, welcome home!

Actually this is what you have to do. Not sure of when you plan in Dec to go, but early Dec is very popular for DVC members. It will be difficult to get BWV at 7 months during that time, but not impossible depending on the room size and view you want. Having booked your home resort at 11 months, you will at least have a room for the dates you need.

Laura

Welcome home!!

You absolutely should book at the 11-month mark. There is nothing 'naughty' about it at all, it is common practice. It is not like you're making a booking that you have no intention of using - if you weren't able to switch at the 7-month point, you would still go wouldn't you? It is about maximising your ownership to ensure that you aren't left in a position where you are unable to secure accommodation for the period you want it. You are able to book your home resort at 11 months so do exactly that, then at the 7-month mark you can look to see if an alternative DVC resort is available and make the switch.

I would imagine pretty much every DVC owner does precisely that (if they are able to book that far ahead). We certainly do as I would hate to be in a position where I was unable to get a booking for any of my planned vacation dates. Here in the UK we book flights and everything else so far in advance and it costs so much money, it would be a real problem if we were unable to use our DVC points for our accommodation.

Happy planning :thumbsup2

Yes, definitely book your home resort at 11 months. And budget for Preferred view at BWV (because that is the most likely view to be available at seven months out). But as PP said, December is a very, VERY busy time for DVC so you may not get BWV for the number of days you want or even at all. Just be prepared.

There's nothing wrong with it at all. In fact, for December bookings, it's critically important to do just what you're describing, because the period from Thanksgiving to New Year's is the most popular time of year for DVC members to visit. Members are on the phone to MS the minute it opens on the first day of their 11-month window. By 7 months out, there's not a lot left, so you'll probably be using that 11-month AKV reservation in December.

You might want to consider switching your resorts for your trips. You'll likely have very little trouble getting BWV at 7 months in June, and it'll be much tougher to get it at 7 months in December.

Thank you everyone for all of your quick responses! I feel much better about the booking now. Lynne, I can't switch the resorts, because the June trip is for our daughter's graduation - the December trip is just for DH and myself, which is why we wanted to get Boardwalk for the nightlife and proximity to Epcot. I guess we will keep our fingers crossed for the 7 month switch. There's not really a bad outcome with this - AKL is our favorite resort!

Thanks again, everyone! Jane

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter