Newbie questions

dr&momto2boys

DIS Veteran
We just made our first Fort Wilderness reservation. I have an assortment of questions! :goodvibes

First, are there any discounts available? AP? DVC? AAA?
We need "room" only. We have our APs already.

Is it usual for the Fort to be full in February? We searched online and found a full hook-up site for Feb 10th- 16th, 2013. We wanted a preferred site, so called and were told they had no sites (not even full hook-up) available. I was surprised! This is the week before President's weekend. Fortunately we were still able to book the full hook-up site online. Should we keep calling and checking for a preferred site?

Should we request any particular site? We have 4 kids 8 and under. It would be nice to be close to transportation or playgrounds. It's also nice to have an easy site to get into.

And now the fun stuff...
I'm certainly not a newbie to WDW, but is there anything special I should know about Fort Wilderness? We've been to Mickey's Backyard BBQ (and it's not running in Feb. anyway, right?) and Hoop-dee-doo. I know about Chip and Dale's Sing-along and roasting marshmallows or making s'mores. I assume you can bring your own, right? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks so much!

dr&momto2boys said:
We just made our first Fort Wilderness reservation. I have an assortment of questions! :goodvibes

First, are there any discounts available? AP? DVC? AAA?
We need "room" only. We have our APs already.

Is it usual for the Fort to be full in February? We searched online and found a full hook-up site for Feb 10th- 16th, 2013. We wanted a preferred site, so called and were told they had no sites (not even full hook-up) available. I was surprised! This is the week before President's weekend. Fortunately we were still able to book the full hook-up site online. Should we keep calling and checking for a preferred site?

Should we request any particular site? We have 4 kids 8 and under. It would be nice to be close to transportation or playgrounds. It's also nice to have an easy site to get into.

And now the fun stuff...
I'm certainly not a newbie to WDW, but is there anything special I should know about Fort Wilderness? We've been to Mickey's Backyard BBQ (and it's not running in Feb. anyway, right?) and Hoop-dee-doo. I know about Chip and Dale's Sing-along and roasting marshmallows or making s'mores. I assume you can bring your own, right? Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks so much!

I used my AAA on a 9 night ressie next Oct. It got me 20% off. So cool!!

I tried different ressie lengths (all arriving 2/10) up to the maximum 30 days and got Partial, Full, and Premiums but no Preferreds. Since you are wanting a room-only reservation (not a package) you can always book a long ressie (up to the 30 days) to get the type of site you want then call back later and drop the unwanted days. Disney's ressie system is predisposed to discourage short stays (at the cheaper accomodations no less) and encourage longer, more expensive stays (imagine that :idea:)

Discounts are something you have to ask about. But being around President's Day weekend don't expect a lot of a discount if any.

Bama ED

dr&momto2boys said:
Thanks! We'll have to call and check into it.

Just to be clear to, I did not book through AAA but booked online through DW and then called my AAA number in and they applied discount.

Just to be clear to, I did not book through AAA but booked online through DW and then called my AAA number in and they applied discount.

Yeah, you can do this either way. We went through AAA to book, and received the same discount. But, if you like to book yourself, go the above route.

If you use AAA to book, you get a couple other perks - private fireworks viewing area for wishes, private storybook time w/character in Epcot, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter