newbie questions, please dont laugh

jaiwin

Mouseketeer
Ok so this will be our first cruise. 15th annivesary next year, just hubby and I.:yay:

gonna go for the 4 night cruise. We both Love Disney, we have taken the family to Walt Disney the past 3 years. But its time for a little mommy/ daddy time..:love:

So without the kiddos is there a nice variety for adults to do? I have been doing my homework and have been on the disboards for about 3/4 days straight now. Deffiantly thinking the couples spa. We dont drink, so the taste testers are out. what are some of the other things that we could enjoy?

Are the excrusions worth it? I have been looking at those and see some that really look like fun. When you port, do you have to get off the ship at that time or can you be lazy and get off later in the morning?

How does the dinning work? we have had the dinning plan at WDW, and love the fact that dinning was already taken care of. So is the price of the food already in the price of the cruise, and we just need to tip. If that is the case, is it like the dining plan, were you get so many table credits, quick services credit and snacks credits per person?

I knew that if i had questions, the dis boards is the place to go. I have found out all my WDW info on the disboards and have had some amazing trips because of it.. Now looking forward to an awesome cruise.. Too bad its over a year away:sad1:

Ok so this will be our first cruise. 15th annivesary next year, just hubby and I.:yay:

gonna go for the 4 night cruise. We both Love Disney, we have taken the family to Walt Disney the past 3 years. But its time for a little mommy/ daddy time..:love:

So without the kiddos is there a nice variety for adults to do?YES I have been doing my homework and have been on the disboards for about 3/4 days straight now. Deffiantly thinking the couples spa. We dont drink, so the taste testers are out. what are some of the other things that we could enjoy?LECTURES. DISNEY TRIVIA. SHOWS. MOVIES. DANCING. SWIMMING

Are the excrusions worth it?YES I have been looking at those and see some that really look like fun. When you port, do you have to get off the ship at that time or can you be lazy and get off later in the morning?YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT

How does the dinning work? we have had the dinning plan at WDW, and love the fact that dinning was already taken care of. So is the price of the food already in the price of the cruise, and we just need to tip. YES, MEALS ARE INCLUDED. YOU TIP ON THE LAST NIGHT OF THE CRUISEIf that is the case, is it like the dining plan, were you get so many table credits, quick services credit and snacks credits per person?NO. YOU CAN EAT AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE. YOU GET ONE DINNER SEATING. BUT YOU CAN GET EVERYTHING ON THE MENU IF YOU WANT, AND THEIR ARE FAST FOOD TYPE OPTIONS. YOU LITERALLY CAN EAT AT LEAST 6 MEALS A DAY

I knew that if i had questions, the dis boards is the place to go. I have found out all my WDW info on the disboards and have had some amazing trips because of it.. Now looking forward to an awesome cruise.. Too bad its over a year away:sad1:

I think I would choose a cruise line that does not cater to kids. I say this for one reason only, when I went to Disneyland without my kids my DH and I were so sad that we did not bring them us. We ended up going home a few days early as we felt like we were stealing this great fun experience from them. We will never do that again, and even though this was several years ago, I still get teary eyed and regret not going somewhere else to celebrate our anniversary.

I went last year with a friend and we had a blast!! there are tons of stuff to do and the food is everywhere or close to it--- just not much after 11 or 12 am except for roomservice-- You are going to have a blast
When are you going?

I went last year with a friend and we had a blast!! there are tons of stuff to do and the food is everywhere or close to it--- just not much after 11 or 12 am except for roomservice-- You are going to have a blast
When are you going?

thanks for the info. the plan is to go next sept. so over a year away =( but im sure it will get here before i know it

I think I would choose a cruise line that does not cater to kids. I say this for one reason only, when I went to Disneyland without my kids my DH and I were so sad that we did not bring them us. We ended up going home a few days early as we felt like we were stealing this great fun experience from them. We will never do that again, and even though this was several years ago, I still get teary eyed and regret not going somewhere else to celebrate our anniversary.

We have thought of that. so we are thinking that we do the cruise in Sept. and then plan our family vacation in Nov that same year. That way we can still have our Disney experience with our kids

"Ok so this will be our first cruise. 15th annivesary next year, just hubby and I."
My DW and I have gone on 7 DCLs only one with family. We have our 25th Anniversary scheduled for Feb '11.

"So without the kiddos is there a nice variety for adults to do? I have been doing my homework and have been on the disboards for about 3/4 days straight now. Deffiantly thinking the couples spa. We dont drink, so the taste testers are out. what are some of the other things that we could enjoy?"
Never done the spa, do not like them. See this thread http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2542126
for night life onboard.

"Are the excrusions worth it? I have been looking at those and see some that really look like fun."
That is up to you. Check out the DCL web-site.

"When you port, do you have to get off the ship at that time or can you be lazy and get off later in the morning?"
If you go on an excrusions, you will have a defined time and meet location. If you choose to do a port on your on, you can stay on the ship all day or get off/on at your leisure.

"How does the dinning work? we have had the dinning plan at WDW, and love the fact that dinning was already taken care of. So is the price of the food already in the price of the cruise, and we just need to tip. If that is the case, is it like the dining plan, were you get so many table credits, quick services credit and snacks credits per person?"
See the DCL web-site for details on rotational dining. The dining is included in the price of the cruise.

So without the kiddos is there a nice variety for adults to do? I have been doing my homework and have been on the disboards for about 3/4 days straight now. Deffiantly thinking the couples spa. We dont drink, so the taste testers are out. what are some of the other things that we could enjoy?

Are the excrusions worth it? I have been looking at those and see some that really look like fun. When you port, do you have to get off the ship at that time or can you be lazy and get off later in the morning?

How does the dinning work? we have had the dinning plan at WDW, and love the fact that dinning was already taken care of. So is the price of the food already in the price of the cruise, and we just need to tip. If that is the case, is it like the dining plan, were you get so many table credits, quick services credit and snacks credits per person?

My husband and I went on our first Disney cruise together - no kids. We had a blast!!! Variety and fun things to do really depends on your definition of those things. I can only say from our experience, we have never lacked for anything to do.

For us excursions depend on where we are. If we've "been there done that" we'll be just as happy staying on the ship. Your day is scheduled if you do an excursion - set time to go.

Dining - you are assigned to first or second seating for dinner. You rotate through all the dining rooms and keep your serving team at each. You dinner time is assigned but room service is available as are some quick service locations and buffets. You won't lack for food - it's all included except Palo which we enjoyed very much!!! You can order as many entrees as you want, as many desserts, and if you don't like what you order, you can ask for something else. It is all included. Drinks are a different story.

Drinks - you will be charged for alcohol anywhere. There is a corking fee, and at bars or in the theater, you are pre-charged a gratuity for drinks - sodas too. In the dining room and at the drink station on deck 9, soda is free.

A Disney cruise is wonderful for adults with no kids, but your idea of wonderful and mine may be very different. We really enjoyed ourselves - a lot of it is what you want and what you make of it.

There's plenty for adults to do. Have a guided ship tour. Bid on the Art (even if you aren't buying it is fun to go to the auction). Take a tour of the galley. Lots of movies and shows. Typically the entertainment does "adult" type shows (mostly PG-13 type humor). Games in the lounges, karaoke, dancing etc.

I'm not a big fan of the Carribean excursions. I think the only one we've done was the dolphin swim. I think it is easier to just on out on your own and at your own pace, we tend to just be lazy and either stay on board or just take a quick trip for some shopping or to the beach. To each their own though. Also Castaway Cay has an no kids beach area.

Food...you'll get a dining room rotation. Your servers will rotate with you every night, so you are served by the same team through out the cruise. For breakfast or lunch you can hit the buffets or you can eat in which ever restaurant is serving (typically 1 does a breakfast and a lunch). You can eat as much as you want, just tell your servers what you want and they will bring it (2 apps, 3 entrees, 6 desserts..no problem). There is plenty quick service around the ship, and that serves most of the day (around the pool area). I think some of that food is better than some of the buffet food sometimes. Palo is the adult only restaurant, and there is a $15 pp supplement to go, but it is so worth it. Brunch to me, is better than dinner, but if you haven't been before, dinner is good too. Try to get a window seat around sundown and watch the sun set as you eat. Room service is 24/7 and is included with the exception of drinks (alcohol and otherwise) and tips (keep a few dollars around to tip the server that brings the tray).

Tips..all get handled at the end of the cruise. You'll get these envelopes and a worksheet that will walk you through the tipping process. It seems convoluted the first time, but it is really super easy. If you want to put your tips on your credit card, there's a form, and you take it down to Guest services and put it in a box and they handle it and give you some little slips to put in your envelope. On the last night of your cruise you hand out your envelopes to your servers and/or your stateroom host.

Most of all, just have fun. You can be a kid again and nobody really cares. There's a whole boat load of kid (adults) running around. Just go with it :woohoo:

Go for it! DH and I took our first cruise on DCL and went sans kids and absolutely LOVED it! We were sold from the moment we got to the terminal and saw all the Disney stuff we love, but with a nautical theme and less crowds! :thumbsup2

We did Palo, the spa for couples (the longer one that you can book ahead), went to all the shows, went to the lounges for some of the variety shows (we don't drink either) and just had an overall relaxing and glorious time.

We did get off at Nassau because we'd never been before but just walked around the main drag and took pics, then got back on the boat. The adult beach at Castaway is marvelous! I always want to go there when we have gone back with the kids, but haven't worked up the nerve to let the kids go to clubs while on the island.

Enjoy yourselves and relax. Oh, you might want to bring some Bonine or something similar just in case either of you get seasick. If you think you might, it would be best to start it before boarding, that first night can be rough sometimes.

My husband and I have gone on 3 Disney vacations together. We do not have any children and love the hospitality that Disney offers. We recently book our 3 and 4 Disney cruise. I have been spoiled by Disney and really have not wanted to cruise with anyone else!

I think it is a person preference on if you want to do Disney or not...there are plenty of things for adults to do and have a great time without children!

So without the kiddos is there a nice variety for adults to do? Yes going without kids is much more enjoyable! I have been doing my homework and have been on the disboards for about 3/4 days straight now. Deffiantly thinking the couples spa. We dont drink, so the taste testers are out. what are some of the other things that we could enjoy? I love the theatrical Productions, you can go to the adult pool or the adult coffee shop. See a movie or just lay out on deck. They have many activ ities that do not include drinking. I have been clean and sober for 22 years and have never been bored on a Disney Cruise

Are the excrusions worth it? Yes and for your first I would do one that was a DCL excrusion I have been looking at those and see some that really look like fun. When you port, do you have to get off the ship at that time or can you be lazy and get off later in the morning? It is up you if you ever get out of bed let alone off the ship at least until the last day. The time is yours How does the dinning work? Your food is included. You will be assigned a table and you will rotate through all three resturants on board. Your wait staff rotate with you. There is an early seating and a late seating, I prefer the latewe have had the dinning plan at WDW, and love the fact that dinning was already taken care of. So is the price of the food already in the price of the cruise, and we just need to tip. You will tip you stateroom host and three cast members who serve you in the resturantsIf that is the case, is it like the dining plan, were you get so many table credits, quick services credit and snacks credits per person? No you get to eat as much and as often as you want. They serve three meals each day and then there is the fast service places on deck 9 and lets not forget room service. Sodas are free at your meals and on deck nine at the drink station but you will be charged for them at the bars and from room service.

I knew that if i had questions, the dis boards is the place to go. I have found out all my WDW info on the disboards and have had some amazing trips because of it.. Now looking forward to an awesome cruise.. Too bad its over a year away:sad1: It will be here before you know it. You will miss your kids but you can plan a time with them later. It is great that you want to devote some time to each other. Kids grow up and hopfully move away and if you don't take care of yourself what will you have. I love DCL and all the magic both with and without kids. Remember planning is half the fun. I can suggest that once you have a for sure date that you join your cruise meet thread and get to know some of the other folks you will be cruising with.

Go, enjoy and celebrate. Then book the next one for you and the kids. You will be that much more prepared to make it a magical trip for them.

I agree with the first response. If you don't have kids going on DCL can be still be fun but if you have kids that are of an age that would enjoy it, it would make me feel so terrible. The question is not whether DCL is good for kidless adults but whether you can enjoy going AWOL on them.

.... but whether you can enjoy going AWOL on them.

YES...:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 on going AWOL!!!

heck...I even forgot we had kids...;)

We did NOT feel guilty about leaving the kids at home, as they had been on a Disney Cruise before, and we were celebrating our 15th anniversary.

As far as not drinking...we're not much on drinking either, but did enjoy visiting the adult clubs...many offered some type of show or entertainment...all of which were very tasteful...think Disney-fied adult entertainment...

You'll have a great time.

PS...when you get to CC, be one of the first to get off the ship, and head straight for Serenity Bay...get you a hammock under a palm tree...and just reeeelax.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter