• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

newbie questions- gratuities, kid's club, and port parking

DFTWbride2013

If I had a world of my own...
We're going on our first cruise in September, and as I get more excited I also get more questions that I can't find answers to. I'd really appreciate any help! :goodvibes

1. I'm trying to figure out and budget gratuities. I know Disney recommends $12/pp per day, but what about infants? Not sure if we're expected to tip on our son who will be bottle fed and won't need anything from the dining servers. (Definitely tipping our stateroom host extra for dirty diaper disposal! Yuck!) I don't mind tipping extra if they're great to us, but I don't know if they "qualify" for extra gratuity just because there's an extra body at the table that isn't being serviced? No idea what's expected on a cruise!

2. Our older son will be turning 3 during the cruise, but since he's not fully potty trained we're booking nursery time for him for longer periods of time (Palo dinner). Can we also register him for the kids' club in case we just want to drop him off for short periods (Like if we just want to run off for a mixology and then come back for him)? I've read of many instances where non-potty trained children were allowed in as long as it wasn't for long and the parents knew they wouldn't be doing any diaper changes. I'm just not sure if they allow dual-registration into both the nursery and the kid's club or if we can only choose one?

3. We're staying at one of the hotels that offers the 40% off coupon for parking at the port. Can that be used at the preferred parking or just the regular lots? I'm assuming no, but never hurts to ask.... It would be nice! ;)

Thanks!

We're going on our first cruise in September, and as I get more excited I also get more questions that I can't find answers to. I'd really appreciate any help! :goodvibes

1. I'm trying to figure out and budget gratuities. I know Disney recommends $12/pp per day, but what about infants? Not sure if we're expected to tip on our son who will be bottle fed and won't need anything from the dining servers. (Definitely tipping our stateroom host extra for dirty diaper disposal! Yuck!) I don't mind tipping extra if they're great to us, but I don't know if they "qualify" for extra gratuity just because there's an extra body at the table that isn't being serviced? No idea what's expected on a cruise!

2. Our older son will be turning 3 during the cruise, but since he's not fully potty trained we're booking nursery time for him for longer periods of time (Palo dinner). Can we also register him for the kids' club in case we just want to drop him off for short periods (Like if we just want to run off for a mixology and then come back for him)? I've read of many instances where non-potty trained children were allowed in as long as it wasn't for long and the parents knew they wouldn't be doing any diaper changes. I'm just not sure if they allow dual-registration into both the nursery and the kid's club or if we can only choose one?

3. We're staying at one of the hotels that offers the 40% off coupon for parking at the port. Can that be used at the preferred parking or just the regular lots? I'm assuming no, but never hurts to ask.... It would be nice! ;)

Thanks!

Congratulations on your first cruise! I took a baby and a three year old on the magic earlier this year.

We actually only did a main dining room on one night. even on disney, the two kids were too much to enjoy the dinner. I don't know if this is "right" but we just tipped half the total amount....since we only ate one night. I know the servers count on the $$ but I also wasn't going to do the FULL amount for four, when we hardly ate there.

And, my three year old bounced back and forth between the kids club and nursery. we registered for both. he actually preferred the nursery...the kids club was too much for him. the activities weren't engaging for him - as he had just turned three - and they really aren't staff to provide individual attention.

we sent him in pull-ups in the kids club and they just called us when he needed changing. no big deal, which was a HUGE relief. the CMs have all things "potty time" down to a science.

they also said if there was a problem in kids club, they'd just pop him in the nursery automatically. that never happened (and we were Concierge then), so I don't know how that affects their ratios and what not...because the nursery does fill up.

I don't know about the parking....but have fun!!!

That's great that you're going in September, so are we! What date are you going?

1) I would suggest calling your travel agent and have them include tips on the cruise bill so you don't have to worry about it. They'll give you a price up front and you just pay it. They give you an envelope at the end of the cruise for tipping and you can put additional tip in there if someone gave you extra good service (or if you simply want to).

2) I have a 2 year old who will be 3 a week after the cruise so I've done a lot of looking into this. What I've found is officially they will let kids in the kids club under 3 who are completely potty trained (they have to do everything themselves). They make exceptions if the child is close to 3 but is completely potty trained but from what I understand the potty training is a must. I'd suggest asking (and even pushing the issue a bit if it's for limited times) when you get onboard. They try to be accommodating.

3) Most likely the parking is for the hotel that you're staying at. In other words your car will stay at the hotel and you'll pay them for parking there and they'll shuttle you to the cruise from that location. The port parking is usually twice the cost per day as offsite.

Thanks!

Tips in the cruise industry are per person, regardless of age.

You can use the nursery for short periods, also.

Congratulations on your first cruise! I took a baby and a three year old on the magic earlier this year.

We actually only did a main dining room on one night. even on disney, the two kids were too much to enjoy the dinner. I don't know if this is "right" but we just tipped half the total amount....since we only ate one night. I know the servers count on the $$ but I also wasn't going to do the FULL amount for four, when we hardly ate there.

And, my three year old bounced back and forth between the kids club and nursery. we registered for both. he actually preferred the nursery...the kids club was too much for him. the activities weren't engaging for him - as he had just turned three - and they really aren't staff to provide individual attention.

we sent him in pull-ups in the kids club and they just called us when he needed changing. no big deal, which was a HUGE relief. the CMs have all things "potty time" down to a science.

they also said if there was a problem in kids club, they'd just pop him in the nursery automatically. that never happened (and we were Concierge then), so I don't know how that affects their ratios and what not...because the nursery does fill up.

I don't know about the parking....but have fun!!! Which ship are you headed out on??

Thanks, that's such a relief to hear we can register him for both! He LOVES being around big kids so I'm sure he'd be fine for 45 mins to an hour. Anything longer than that we'll definitely put him in the nursery for.

We'll be doing a 4 night on the Dream. I'm so excited it's been hard to sleep! September can't get here fast enough.

That's great that you're going in September, so are we! What date are you going?

1) I would suggest calling your travel agent and have them include tips on the cruise bill so you don't have to worry about it. They'll give you a price up front and you just pay it. They give you an envelope at the end of the cruise for tipping and you can put additional tip in there if someone gave you extra good service (or if you simply want to).

2) I have a 2 year old who will be 3 a week after the cruise so I've done a lot of looking into this. What I've found is officially they will let kids in the kids club under 3 who are completely potty trained (they have to do everything themselves). They make exceptions if the child is close to 3 but is completely potty trained but from what I understand the potty training is a must. I'd suggest asking (and even pushing the issue a bit if it's for limited times) when you get onboard. They try to be accommodating.

3) Most likely the parking is for the hotel that you're staying at. In other words your car will stay at the hotel and you'll pay them for parking there and they'll shuttle you to the cruise from that location. The port parking is usually twice the cost per day as offsite.

We'll be cruising Sept 8 on the Dream.

The coupon is for parking at the port. We're staying at the Best Western but there are a few other hotels in the area that also offer it. I've read about it in a few other threads on here, so I am sure it's port parking. Sounds too good to be true, right? :goodvibes

About the dining servers and tipping.

The same servers that do rotational assigned dining also rotate to the quick service and buffet during breakfast and lunch. Even if you choose to eat not in the MDR, I'd still tip for all of us because we're eating somewhere and unlike a regular restaurant, they can't pickup another table if you're not there.
I'd tip for all four of y'all.
Because your baby will mean they will probably try to cater to you more. I've had some of the most help from our servers when DD fell asleep laying on me during dinner. Expediting my food. Cutting it up for me. Taking pictures of me holding her when they saw me trying to do the one handed photo thing. Bringing a spare tablecloth to drape over her as a blanket.
I'd also tip the recommended because gratuities are automatically included. To adjust them down from expected, you have to go to guest services. Too much effort, in my book.
I'd rather pay them what they've earned and be done with it.

I would not expect to be able to leave your son in the club if he is not PTd. In ten years taking cruises on DCL and reading these boards I have only seen a handful of posts where people have said their child was welcome in the club in diapers. When DD was in pull ups at night they were very clear that it was okay to bring her after dinner in pull ups in case she fell asleep, but they were not allowed during the day at all. It sounds like a select few CMs have permitted it but it is not the consistent rule on all the ships.

I cringe when I read posts about not tipping as much because people don't plan to eat in the MDRs or because their kids are small and won't eat. I have to assume it's because people don't realize that the same people who wait your table in MDR are the people who work all day cooking for you and cleaning up after you.

I cringe when I read posts about not tipping as much because people don't plan to eat in the MDRs or because their kids are small and won't eat. I have to assume it's because people don't realize that the same people who wait your table in MDR are the people who work all day cooking for you and cleaning up after you.

These are also the people who set up castaway, putting away chairs etc. They work all day not just in the evenings.

I find it hard to believe that the servers are also doing the cooking. Anyway, as I said, first time cruiser. No idea about how any of it works- that's why I asked. No need to cringe IMO :thumbsup2

The servers do rotate staffing the quick service locations around the pool deck area. They are the ones who cook the hot dogs, burgers, pizza, fries, and other items available there.

The servers do rotate staffing the quick service locations around the pool deck area. They are the ones who cook the hot dogs, burgers, pizza, fries, and other items available there.

Ahh thanks for explaining, that makes a little more sense. I took "cooking" as being back in the kitchen doing the more heavy-duty cooking. I didn't even know what's available up on the deck, that sounds yummy. :)

I don't know about the parking....but have fun!!!

No, it wasn't right. :confused3 If you ate anywhere else on the ship, room service, cabanas, the fast food areas, and sit down for lunch?? Who did you think was taking care of you adn your family then? Did you serve yourself? Did you prepare your food, or clean up? Or anything else? I am not going to apologize for sounding mean. These people work for their tips, that is THEIR LIVLIHOOD! So you stiffed them and you stayed concierge?? Wow..why bother cruise? Tips are part of it. Unless you get horrible horrible service, there is NO REASON NOT TO TIP!

For the servers sakes I really wish that DCL would just add it to the cost of the cruise and pay their staff and let us leave a bit extra if we want!

No, it wasn't right. :confused3 If you ate anywhere else on the ship, room service, cabanas, the fast food areas, and sit down for lunch?? Who did you think was taking care of you adn your family then? Did you serve yourself? Did you prepare your food, or clean up? Or anything else? I am not going to apologize for sounding mean. These people work for their tips, that is THEIR LIVLIHOOD! So you stiffed them and you stayed concierge?? Wow..why bother cruise? Tips are part of it. Unless you get horrible horrible service, there is NO REASON NOT TO TIP!

For the servers sakes I really wish that DCL would just add it to the cost of the cruise and pay their staff and let us leave a bit extra if we want!
Do the servers not get paid besides their tips? I assumed they were getting at least some kind of base pay for all that they do.

Exactly. Thank you Joisey Mom:thumbsup2

Yuck, I did some reading on how cruise employee pay works. I have to say I'm shocked! I had no idea they get paid so little for doing so much. Thanks for past posters that have politely answered my questions and brought it to my attention. That's why I asked well before the cruise! Now it's just a matter of rearranging my budget a little. Take a bit out of souvenir/shopping budget, some out of alcohol, and a few less hours at the nursery and voila- there goes a good sum more into gratuities. :cool1:

They really do depend on tips for their pay. However, that doesn't meant that if there is a problem with their service you shouldn't speak up. Definitely tell the head server if there is an issue so they can correct it and make your experience enjoyable. :)

Do the servers not get paid besides their tips? I assumed they were getting at least some kind of base pay for all that they do.

They do get a very small wage, as well as room (if you want to call it that) and board. The bulk of their "living wage" is made up in the tips.

We tipped someone who was in charge of the dining room servers and we NEVER saw him..I want to be sure that he will do something for us or at least make his presence know to us when we go next April or he will not get a tip...sorry, but....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter