• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie Question - Which hotels to visit?

scottergee

Earning My Ears
As if I haven't scheduled us tight enough for our grandkids' first Orlando/Disney/SeaWorld/Universal trip this October for 10 days (yes - going to my first MNSSHP, too); I wanted to get some feedback on which of the WDW hotels would be worth a "touristy" visit - not necessarily just for food.

Are there any must-sees, great photo opportunities, special activities even non-resort guests can participate in? I've never been to any hotel except Swan and Dolphin and need some "experienced" guidance. Which ones have the best gift shops/unique merchandise? Where might we see characters? Do any of them have shows/tours?

Any help/input is appreciated. I am learning so much from reading on these boards, but I haven't found this topic covered (of course it could be me not searching correctly).

Thanks in advance!

Animal Kingdom Lodge is beautiful! There is animal viewing for free on their savannah during the day, and using night vision goggles in the evening.

IMO on a first trip there are no hotels worth time out of parks to go visit.

One of the more popular events is at Fort Wilderness (campground) for Chip and Dale's Campfire Sing a long. That will cover a few of your things, you can meet charecters, participate as a non resort guest, and it's free, you only pay for smore's kits if you want to roast them. After Chip and Dale visit there is a movie shown outdoors.

Fort Wilderness has a popular dinner show Hoop De Due Revue and the Polynesian has the Spirit of Aloha show, both take ADR's and can fill up so make sure you call ahead to secure a spot before showing up.

Sorry - I didn't clarify - our tickets only cover 8 days of our 10, so looking for a little rest day travel to some of the hotels so I can be familiar with where I might stay on future trips, while at the same time taking some pics and entertaining the 4 year olds with something interesting to see.

I agree completely - every available hour we will be in the parks (grumpy, tired kids permitting) - LOL - and probably spend at least 1/2 a day at Downtown Disney.

I agree that the AKL is great to visit if you want to check out some animals.

I would also visit the Polynesian. There isn't a whole lot to do there, but it is one of the best-themed resorts in all of WDW. If you end up there at night you can watch Wishes from the beach.

I agree with AKL. Worth a short visit for the artwork and animal viewing.

Also, I would stop by the Contemporary and look around the Grand Canyon Concourse and then hop on the monorail for a loop. You can stop at the Poly or GF as well to look around.

It's also fun to take the ferry with no crowds in the afternoon.

If you have time, you can rent some sea raycers and spend some time darting around Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake.

We're going on our first trip and we plan on checking out the Animal Kingdom Lodge, the Poly, and also going over to Fort Wilderness (we have Hoop Dee Doo reservations!). Apparently AKL and FW have a lot of stuff to do for the kids and the former has animals to see (hopefully...). We're also going to Narcoosee's and will probably check out the Grand Floridian a bit since we'll be there after parks close since it's early hours in December.

akl is really nice stayed there about a mont ago other resorts that are nice to see are poly, and wilderness lodge

Ditto AKL and Chip and Dale's Campfire Movie Night. Also the Beach and Yacht Clubs are nice for visiting in planning for a future visit. in fact, I'd suggest a visit to the whole Boardwalk area.

We did a little resort hopping when we stayed at POR for one night after a cruise, and didn't have park tickets. We went to the Boardwalk area and walked around there, YC & BC and Swan/Dolphin. I would recommend doing this at night because there is more going on at the Boardwalk at night. We also took the monorail between the three monorail resorts and checked them out, and watched the fireworks from the Poly beach. Next time we're hoping to catch AKL to see the savannah.

As a pp said first time in WDW I wouldnt do resorts visits unless we had ADRs at some restaurants .But if you really want to I would suggest AKL ,Poly and WLodge.
:hippie:

BW at night-entertaining show like juggling,magic but with comedy...there is an ice cream shop, carnival games...walk to bc and see movie on the beach

You can also explore the monorail loop, the CR has a big arcade, marina, and kids tend to like a monorail going thru a hotel...wacth the fireworks at mk from the poly beach, it is gorgeous at night with thw volcano pool, tikki torches

WL is neat , the kids like to watch the geyser, huge fp inside, the villas have a neat train display....

I would get on the monorail and tour the monorail resorts -- Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian. There are some better gifts in these resorts, but walking the grounds and appreciating the architectural touches is what I enjoy about stopping in. The Grand Floridian has inlaid marble floors with Disney character scenes. The work is to die for. Exquisite! At the Contemporary, the 90-ft. tile murals by Mary Blair are wonderful. Look for the 5-legged goat. At night, there is an electrical water pageant around the resorts, around 8:30-9 pm. http://allears.net/tp/ewp.htm Lots of people watch Wishes from Poly beach.

While visiting MK, we usually get on the monorail and have lunch at one of the monorail resorts. Breaks up the day a bit. For table service, make reservations ahead of time.

If you have time to take a water taxi from MK or the Contemporary to Wilderness Lodge, that is a fabulous building. So much to see and learn about in the lobby. At the Villas of Wilderness Lodge (next door) is a small "museum" about Walt Disney's ride-able miniature trains and interesting pictures of his train hobby.

On the day that we have MNSSHP scheduled (with us planning to get into the park at 4) how much time should we allocate so we enough time to see the "monorail resorts" prior to that?

Thanks to you all for such great ideas!!!!

a relaxing evening for us is a walk around boardwalk stopping for pizza continuning on around to to yacht & beach intime to catch a movie on the beach

On the day that we have MNSSHP scheduled (with us planning to get into the park at 4) how much time should we allocate so we enough time to see the "monorail resorts" prior to that?

Thanks to you all for such great ideas!!!!

Just guessing, if you didn't spend too much time, a monorail visit to the 3 resorts could take 1.5-2 hours. If time is real short, just visit 1 or 2. It's fun just to ride the monorail loop! Anytime from 4-7, when the actual MNSSHP starts, would be a good time to go. You wouldn't want to miss the party activities after that. A few times we have been on the monorail around 9 and could see the electrical water pageant from the monorail windows. That was neat.

Just guessing, if you didn't spend too much time, a monorail visit to the 3 resorts could take 1.5-2 hours. If time is real short, just visit 1 or 2. It's fun just to ride the monorail loop! Anytime from 4-7, when the actual MNSSHP starts, would be a good time to go. You wouldn't want to miss the party activities after that. A few times we have been on the monorail around 9 and could see the electrical water pageant from the monorail windows. That was neat.

This. I wouldn't allot any more time than this. There's not a TON to see and do at the monorail resorts, just browse, so this should be ample time including travel time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter