• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie Question - when do you bank your points?

ktmo

DIS Veteran
I just became a member and have a trip scheduled for later in the Spring, using some of my 2015 points. I will have some left over that I will probably need to bank. My use year is June and I know that I have until the end of January to bank them. But, do I bank them now or wait. I don't think that I could possibly use them between now and the end of May, so there is no reason not to bank them now, but I am just holding off for some reason.

Is there some philosophy or rule of thumb as to when to bank?

If you are sure you won't be needing the points, go ahead and bank them now.

To maintain the utmost flexibility you could wait until the last minute to do your banking. I tend to do our banking mid-month just to make sure I don't miss the deadline.

Our deadline is May 31. I make sure to set multiple reminders. And I strive to get it accomplished a week to 10 days before the deadline hits. But some years it's earlier; it just works out that way!

Is there any reason not to bank points as soon as you know that you won't use them in the current use year? And, even if banked, would they not be used as borrowed points from the next use year if you should happen to need them?

I tend to bank as soon as I can so that they don't get forgotten.

Is there any reason not to bank points as soon as you know that you won't use them in the current use year? And, even if banked, would they not be used as borrowed points from the next use year if you should happen to need them?

This was my thought, I can bank them now and if I end up extending/changing our trip in the spring, I could borrow my 2016 points.

I just don't want to do something that messes things up.

If you are sure you won't be needing the points, go ahead and bank them now.

To maintain the utmost flexibility you could wait until the last minute to do your banking. I tend to do our banking mid-month just to make sure I don't miss the deadline.

Well this is the question. I want to make sure that I won't need them.

No, once points are banked they will remain in the new use year.

Ah, so the banked points can't be "pulled back" in to the 2015 use year. I kinda thought they would be the first out but, now you mention it, I recall seeing that in the rules.

That would mean that those 2015 points would have to be used within the next use year or they would be lost. That could be an issue if there is not a trip planned for the next use year.

Our deadline is May 31. I make sure to set multiple reminders. And I strive to get it accomplished a week to 10 days before the deadline hits. But some years it's earlier; it just works out that way!
Yes, this is my strategy, also. Given that I'm fairly close to the Grand Cal ... and never far from being convinced, "Hey, let's take a spontaneous weekend trip to HI!" ... I don't want to bank my points too early! I wait until the deadline month -- but try to bank a few days early ... with multiple reminders from my electronic calendar starting about 30 days out.

I always bank my points early because I pretty much need to have them available for my 11 month booking...but if I don't, I then bank when I know my trips are set...if I want to go on an unexpected trip...or book one for others, then I just borrow from the next UY.

I bank just prior to the deadline or when I need them for a reservation. Plans change and once banked they aren't available if needed for a current year reservation.

:earsboy: Bill

My use year is June I use banked points for my trip every year so I bank a week before my trip so I know that ms made no mistakes about where those points for the current trip come from. Don't want to have to reallocate or deal with the stress. Basically I bank as soon as I can banked in November this year

I bank points as soon as my planning spread sheets says they will be needed next UY. This way I can book at 11 months out without having to do everything at once.

I have a June UY too. I always bank a few days before the Jan 31 deadline. The reason is just in case I decide to make a last minute trip or if I want to rent out the points prior to the banking deadline. I don't see the benefit of banking before the deadline, unless you need the points to make a reservation in the following use year.

We bank at the deadline or just before we plan to book with the points. Whichever is first.

I tend to bank in the last month or so of my banking window. One reason is if my plans change at all. I might add a day (if available) or change resort or view that might require a few more points. Also if you were to bank them and had to borrow next years points it limits you on canceling. The borrowed points will go into holding.

With that said, just set a reminder on your calender 30 days out from your banking window end date and take care of it at that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter