Newbie needs help

Frannie4217

Earning My Ears
Ok I am so lost on here I have no idea what everyone is talking about. What is PS? and could someone tell me what I should be doing for meal planning? This is our first trip to WDW and it will be 2 adults and 4 teenagers. I guess i was totally dumb in thinking you just walk up to the places lol any suggestions? btw we will be staying at the Buena Vista Suites so breakfast is taken care of. I have to say this is my first time there and I am so excited, lol probably more than the kids even lol Thanks again for any advice u can send my way.

Frannie

I forgot we are going June 30~ July 5th I know totally crazy idea lol

PS is Priority seating at sit-down resturants. This is not a reservation, per se, just that when you arrive at your appointed time, you will be given priority for a table over people who just walk in. We never had more than a 10 or 15 wait when we had a PS. It is more crowded in the summer, so if there are sit-down places you definitely want to eat at, I would make PS. You can make them 90 days in advance, so you can call anytime now. The number is 407-939-3463. I know there's an 800 number too, but I can't remember it right now. Anyone else?

There is no 800 # to make your PSs that I know of. Since you are going in such a busy time, I would say yes, yes, yes, make some.

The way I would go about it is look at the menus, see what sounds good. Then say (for example), "ok, we will be at the MK on Thurs, so let's make a PS for Liberty Tree Tavern at 6." Do the same for each day, give Disney a call and you will be all set.

Think about trying some of the great restaurants at the Disney resorts. Many have wonderful food and it is fun to see the resorts.

Here is a link to the menus and other info on dining from Deb's site. Also, here on the Disboards are reviews.

http://allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm

I would go to your local Disney Store and buy a Birnbaum book and review the WDW restaurants. The book tells you which restaurants allow or not allow PS's (priority seating).

My suggestion to you is to make PS's for all the restaurants you plan to eat at to avoid any disappointment. You can always cancel them if you decide not to go.

If the Birnbaum book say's that PS's are suggested - take them seriously, they know what they are talking about. Or...ask us on the DIS and we will happily help you.

Have fun planning:wave:

It's better to overbook on PS, rather than be left out in the cold(or the heat!). Book a couple of PS for each day you are there.
If you think you won't make it to a restaurant where you've booked your PS, it is courteous to call and cancel.:earsboy:

Basically, we don't travel at peak season (4th of July WILL be different), usually early June and Early December. I make PSs in advance for restaurant I know we want to eat at. I never overbook, as that will prevent others from getting availability, I also often (on weekdays) simply call from my room and make a same day PS for lunch, and rarely have I not been able to be assigned a time within 30 minutes of my requested time. If you do fail to get a PS, there is always counter service eateries, and most of the Disney counter service offerings are superior (IMO) to off-site venues like McDonalds and Jack in the Box.

FYI - you can get Birnbaum or other Disney guidebooks other places than the Disney store. Most booksellers will have then in the travel section. Also, your public libery should have some. The Unoffical Guide is my favorite.

Hi, Frannie,

Welcome to this place - it is great! The previous posters have answered your question about PS's and you should take their advice. I just wanted to comment on your remark that you thought being in WDW over July 4th is crazy. IMHO it is a wonderful time to be there. We arrived on the 4th last year and toured a lot of Epcot (afternoon & evening) and the crowds were quite manageable - not a long wait for anything. Illuminations were great, as always, and the special fireworks, celebrating the day, right after Illuminations were equally as good.
Keep asking questions here and you will find the trip will end up being even more magical than you thought it could be. Enjoy!! Bob

Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate all the wonderful tips and ideas. lol at the crazy remark I just think I am crazy to be down there for the crowds, I have heard WDW is wonderful at the 4th. I can't wait. I didn't state this before but my 15yr old son is going to be in a wheelchair should I make mention of that when I do make the PS's? thanks again for everything!!

Frannie

PS Rule of Thumb

You do not need a PS, with the exception of the following:

You are visiting during a holiday period.
You want to attend a character meal.
You like dining at busy times, noon & 7pm.
You want to dine at one of the popular restaurants
(Cindy's, Cal Grill, Narcoossees, WC, Ohanas, Le Cellier, 50s PT, Sci Fi)

Since you are visiting during the 4th of July I would strongly suggest you make a few PSs before you arrive. This will be a busy period and if you dont have them your wait will be lengthy.

Here are a list of the menus:
www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

I would also suggest getting to the parks early on the 4th, since you are staying off property. There is a good chance a few of the parks will fill to capacity that day and once the parking lot is full no off property guest are permitted. Historically this has happened at MK for the 4th of July.

I would also suggest getting to the parks early on the 4th, since you are staying off property. There is a good chance a few of the parks will fill to capacity that day and once the parking lot is full no off property guest are permitted. Historically this has happened at MK for the 4th of July.

Thanks so much for that info!!! I didn't even think about that happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter