Newbie needs help!

disneyfreak202

Mouseketeer
So I am a WDW vet but when it comes to universal I am a newbie as I have only been twice before. The second time we were so exhausted for our one day there we just lingered around and didn’t do much.

my boyfriend and I will be there with two friends in March for a day. they have a hotel booked (not sure which) that includes express passes and what not.

what would be the best advice for us to get through the park? With Covid we really don’t know how everything is running on top of having no idea how it was before.

my main priority is hagrids, other than that I don’t care too much for the Harry potter rides. I get motion sickness from simulators (I know that’s mainly universal), I can do some but not the more intense ones. I usually take motion sickness medicine and that helps for the most part, I just can’t do a ton in a row. I’ve done jimmy fallon, simpsons, and minions just fine. Transformers made me sick. gringotts I was fine, but forbidden journey was a little much (maybe because we didn’t rest a ton in between the two because the one in la I was okay after).

So knowing all this what rides should I probably avoid? I honestly can’t remember what else is there.

Also is there anyone to get discounted tickets? Or no?

another sufferer of motion sickness here. I'm sorry you suffer with it. it sucks sometimes

I really think you should do E.T adventure though. if you've not done it before, well, I won't spoil it... but it's magical.

hope you enjoy your time at universal

You are the opposite of me. I’m not prone to motion issues but the rides you did ok on were the ones I felt sick on. Just had to close my eyes though and was ok. So, it’s really an impossible question to answer for someone.
Don’t miss the Mummy or any coasters. Plan to hit the water rides and maybe then go back to your hotel room and change- you’ll be drenched!

I get my discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist. With the unlimited express pass, no need to worry about what order to do things, though I'd do Hagrid's first. I'm with the majority where Simpsons had me super sick but no issues with Transformers, Spiderman, etc.

" you're going the wrong way", said as you travel through the dark part of dudley-do rights

that's a fun ride... remember to hold on tight though

Thank you all for the recommendations. I think what usually does me in the most is I psych myself up that a ride will make me sick. It’s always so hit or miss for me based on the day and honestly I don’t mind skipping rides if I’m not feeling well but I’m hoping to not get to that point so I can enjoy the day.

Is Kong bad for motion sickness? I haven’t seen much about the ride so I don’t know. Simpsons I’ve done at the universal out here in Hollywood so I normally skip it now just so it doesn’t normally make me sick, but I can handle it. I’m not even sure why transformers makes me sick. Roller coasters and any ride without a screen I am just fine on (unless it just constantly spins like tea cups then game over lol) so I can’t wait for those. I know I’ll be able to do enough to enjoy myself between the shows and non screen rides, just don’t want to make myself sick and ruin the day early on.

Maybe ill try to watch a few YouTube videos on the ones I’m unsure so I can get an idea on the ride and if I think it will be bad for me.

Have you thought about getting the prescription motion sickness patch? I have motion sickness issues on most rougher rides, but I got the patch last time we went and was able to do everything the kids wanted to do, for three days straight with no issues. Total game changer for me.

I'm assuming when you say you have tried motion sickness meds that you mean the over the counter stuff, which doesn't work anywhere near as well as the prescription stuff.

Funny, I can ride that one many times in a row without it bothering me. I close my eyes at the end during the last couple of spins.

One ride on Simpsons does me in.

That's what makes it hard about predicting what rides will bother other people.

I`m exactly the same damo.....but I use the old ice skating trick of focussing on one point as I spin, I get worse if I close my eyes. (not that I was ever that good an ice skater :laughing:)

Simpsons I will never set foot on again.

But, I agree, you can never know how someone else is going to react......always tell folks they have to try for themselves and see how they are.

Have you thought about getting the prescription motion sickness patch? I have motion sickness issues on most rougher rides, but I got the patch last time we went and was able to do everything the kids wanted to do, for three days straight with no issues. Total game changer for me.

I'm assuming when you say you have tried motion sickness meds that you mean the over the counter stuff, which doesn't work anywhere near as well as the prescription stuff.
I have not tried the patch, I may look into that. I usually take Bonine and it helps me at Disney just fine and universal is hit or miss. I do also carry prescription nausea medicine in case it gets real bad and that will help me but then I try not to do too many more rides after that. Never even heard of the patch but maybe a great option!

Thank you all for the recommendations. I think what usually does me in the most is I psych myself up that a ride will make me sick. It’s always so hit or miss for me based on the day and honestly I don’t mind skipping rides if I’m not feeling well but I’m hoping to not get to that point so I can enjoy the day.

Is Kong bad for motion sickness? I haven’t seen much about the ride so I don’t know. Simpsons I’ve done at the universal out here in Hollywood so I normally skip it now just so it doesn’t normally make me sick, but I can handle it. I’m not even sure why transformers makes me sick. Roller coasters and any ride without a screen I am just fine on (unless it just constantly spins like tea cups then game over lol) so I can’t wait for those. I know I’ll be able to do enough to enjoy myself between the shows and non screen rides, just don’t want to make myself sick and ruin the day early on.

Maybe ill try to watch a few YouTube videos on the ones I’m unsure so I can get an idea on the ride and if I think it will be bad for me.

Kong has no effect on me at all.

I have not tried the patch, I may look into that. I usually take Bonine and it helps me at Disney just fine and universal is hit or miss. I do also carry prescription nausea medicine in case it gets real bad and that will help me but then I try not to do too many more rides after that. Never even heard of the patch but maybe a great option!

I have not tried the prescription patches but the over the counter ones were a game changer for me. Bonine helped take the edge off my nausea but the patches worked to take away 80-90% of it when riding spiderman, transformers and simpsons.

Kong has never made me sick.

I wouldn’t normally give any kind of “medical advice” and motion sickness is so different from person to person but to anyone who takes Bonine (or any other oral over the counter motion sickness meds) I 100% suggest trying the patches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter