• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie needs help with room location

AnnaKate

Earning My Ears
We have finally decided to take the plunge after taking 10 trips to WDW over the last 12 years & book a Disney Cruise! We currently have booked a Category 8B room (9510) on the Fantasy for May 2013, but I am stressing over the different categories & trying to decide what is best for our family of 4. It will be me, DH, DS (7), & DS (16) - ages at time of cruise. Our 2 concerns are having a split bath and being in the best location to minimize any seasickness. None of us have been on a cruise before, but my husband suffers from some motion sickness (can't ride anything that spins-not even Dumbo) & vertigo. Needless to say, he's apprehensive about being on a cruise!

Here's the question- how important is it to be midship? Lower deck? Are we better off moving from 9510 (Forward section-8B) to deck 2 midship (9B) & giving up some space or should we spend a few hundred more to upgrade to a 5c room on deck 7 midship? We really didn't want to spend the extra $ but don't want DH to be miserable either! Or be too cramped! One more note, when we first booked, we booked a cat 8A room on deck 5 forward section, but after reading this board, I called Disney & changed it to 8B since it didn't have a split bath.

Thanks for any advice! I appreciate all the info that this board has to offer!

People say lower deck and closer to the middle has less motion. I havent noticed but then again I dont spend a lot of time in the cabin.

My husband gets a motion sickness patch. (prescription only). I cant remember the name of it but he is very prone to motion sickness and with the patch he has never had a problem.

I would, however, if you decide to try the patch have him wear it once before you leave to make sure he doesnt have any side effects.

Thanks for the tip about the patch, momtoejanda. I've mentioned this to my husband, & he will definitely be asking his doctor about it. Also, I moved our room from 9510 to 2538. Hopefully, that was the right decision. Time will tell!

We have always had midship deck 2 staterooms, but this last cruise we got aft deck 9. I'm very prone to motion sickness and didn't feel any difference.
DS and I started taking Bonine the night before the cruise and every night of. I was fine until the last night when we were really rocking. I felt a little queasy late that night, but was fine after I went to bed.

We went on our first cruise at the end of October and stayed in room 9544 (which is kind of in the middle).

I had the same concerns as you! I was so nervous about feeling the ship move, but we barely did! Except for the first night during dinner, the ship handled the waters amazingly! And it was really just some rumbling and the glasses shaking a bit - but when we went to bed a few hours later, we felt nothing really!

We are planning another trip and I am requesting midship again and the higher deck as we really enjoyed being close to the pools and Cabanas/Flo's for the food!!!

Have a great time!

We went on our first cruise at the end of October and stayed in room 9544 (which is kind of in the middle).

I had the same concerns as you! I was so nervous about feeling the ship move, but we barely did! Except for the first night during dinner, the ship handled the waters amazingly! And it was really just some rumbling and the glasses shaking a bit - but when we went to bed a few hours later, we felt nothing really!

We are planning another trip and I am requesting midship again and the higher deck as we really enjoyed being close to the pools and Cabanas/Flo's for the food!!!

Have a great time!
Hey Jackie. Did you go to the meet? Sounds like a lot of people missed it. I never got a chance to meet anyone from our thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter