Newbie here looking for a WDW resort

vader1701

Earning My Ears
OK, I am taking my whole family (Me, wifey, Son 25, grandson 6, daughter 1 - 17, daughter 2 - 13), now we want to come in July of 2013. Now the ages are valid that year.

We want to stay on site have 10K for the trip (Flight round trip from Michigan, food, souvenirs, tickets 7 days park hopper, room)

Is a suite the way to go? Or separate rooms

Idea's if any would be appreciated, looking to have a great time, really don't care what it costs as long as I don't exceed the 10K. Could go 11K if need be.

Want the best bang for my buck somewhat but really don't care either, just want to have a great time for all....

To be honest, I would for sure have two rooms to be in. Whether it be a suit or two whole rooms (which I think might be the best bet here-girls in one room and boys in another). With the time of year (major heat) and as many as there are of you, you'll need your time apart from one another. :laughing:
We went the first time with just four of us, DH, myself, Son14-at the time, and daughter 7 at the time.
We stayed at the POP Century-value resort- and loved it, but it was also fairly new and didn't share a bus with any other resort at the time, also has double sized beds :rolleyes:. By the time you go (or at least it's been projected) there will be a new resort behind the POP and they will have to share a bus. :rolleyes:
With just the four of us we felt it was a bit cramped to say the least.

As for the next trip we stayed at Coronado Springs Resort and it was certainly a bit bigger, the beds are queens there and it was still really not enough room to be comfortable the entire trip with the four of us, but sooo beautiful and worth staying in just for the queen sized beds alone! :laughing:
We decided as a family if we go again we'll need two rooms.

As for the amount of money your willing to spend, I guess it all depends on what your wanting to do. Did you plan on getting the dining plan? How long did you plan on staying? Duh, you said 7 days.

If your not aware what some of these things are just ask away and I know I or others on here will be willing to help out any way possible. I think if I were you I would be spending the least I could on the room, the suit in the values will be your best bet, that way your not over paying for your stay for a room. Also off site suits or houses for vacation rental could go for less.
Also, if your able to get a discount code then that will help tons with your expenses, whether it be room or dining.
Do you know about the dining plan? It's a much easier way to do the restaurants and quick counter service, and snack for the day. It also provides a bit of a discount off the total you would spend on dining if done right.
Personally I love the dining plan because I don't have to worry about how much I'm spending on dining, it's already paid for and I'm not worrying about the amount of cash sitting in a bank to cover the cost of food the entire trip.
The only thing it doesn't cover is your alcohol and appies. Well, that is unless you get the delux dining which covers all three meals and two snacks a day and all three meals in a restaurant if you like, doesn't cover alcohol but it does for the appies. I don't think I would take that much time away from the parks to do it. :sad2:

I could go on and on (any Diser could :laughing:), but I won't since I don't know all of what your really looking to do.

You may want to consider renting DVC points for a one or two bedroom unit. Perhaps Old Key West would fall within your budget range. You can take a look over on the DVC rent board to see what ponts are available and for what price. Otherwise, two rooms at one of the values would likely work. Enjoy your trip!

Two rooms at a value or two rooms at a moderate could work for you. You can also rent points to stay onsite at a dvc villa and that could also work well for you $$$ wise.

They have one bedroom units with a king bed in one room, a sleeper sofa and a sleeper chair in some units. They also have a two bedroom unit that has either two double beds or a double and a sofa bed in the second bedroom. You can get points for less money at Sarasota Springs or Old Key West resorts.

There is also the one bedroom Hospitality suite at Contemporary resort that has a sofa and a sofa bed. Those tend to run around a grand a night.

Good luck and Happy planning! :goodvibes

we just got back from a trip with my IL's. They rented a 2bed suite at BLT. Master had a king with bathroom, balcony.

Living room had a sleeper chair and a sleeper sofa; kitchen, laundry and bathroom

2nd bedroom had 2 queens , balcony and bathroom.

I think it was around 780 a night - but during value season

I'm thinking that renting DVC points is not for a newbie, not that it's not a good deal, it's just adding another layer of complexity

For the first time - what resort, a tough question.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice in the forums, so here's mine. I'd go for the Disney Moderate Resorts. The moderates will get you out of the chaos that can be the Value Resorts in peak season. Since it's July and hot out I'd go for Caribbean Beach for the beach and pool or Port Orleans Riverside for the shade and the pool. Get two rooms that are connecting rooms or at least adjacent to each other.

Avoid paying rack rate by checking the boards here for discount codes and get the newsletter from Mousesaver.com for more discount ideas.
Price out packages though Disney and through a travel agent. You have enough time to get a great deal, but do not think you can wait till the last few months, it will take some planning.

For a first trip, try to make it as easy as possible. And I'll tell you the same thing I tell anyone going for the first time. RELAX AT DISNEY - you can not see everything that is there, not in 10 visits, don't even try. Don't plan each moment, let magic happen. oh, and wear your most comfortable shoes!

Ok I have a lot to learn here. Millie12591 dvcHammer have some great advice, the one thing I thought to avoid was a travel agent.

The DVC points system sounds complicated, but learn able:confused:

I like the thought of getting 2 rooms that are connecting. I just don't know how to handle the son/grandson and then my 2 girls then me and the better half.

Lots to think about, and I like what dvcHammer said about Relax at Disney. I don't expect to see everything there really are several things that I am really interested in and the family the same, we will work it out when we get there that's the beauty of a vacation, you can do what you want.

I see that I have to do a lot of reading, rightly so, I am also tasking my son and wife in this family endeavor that we are hugely excited about...The trip to Disney in my opinion will be what it will be and nothing more and nothing less.

JUST PLAIN FUN!!!:yay:

I recommend the Unofficial Guide to WDW as a book to read up on all things WDW. It has helped me tremendously in the past. I know others have their favorites, but that is mine. Also, don't forget to check out the Swan and Dolphin resort. It is in a prime location and does offer some of the same perks (including Extra Magic Hours) as the WDW resorts. It is comparable in price to a moderate but in the same "quality" category as some of the deluxes. They also have govt., nurse, teacher, AAA, and AARP rates. I was able to get a room for $179/night on a teacher rate for the weeks surrounding Easter 2012. To get these deals, you need to book with them directly (not through the WDW site).

I really think renting points is the way to go. For a first time trip you want to be as close as you can to the stuff without paying a fortune. That is your best bet. Villas would allow everyone to have their own space and still all be together. We rented points our first trip and it wasn't that hard. I paid about the same as I would have a deluxe with 40% for a 2 bedroom villa w/ full kitchen. It was AMAZING! Just be warned... Disney is addictive and if you stay in a great place like that it's hard to go down. :woohoo:

Based on the kids age I'd suggest BC Villa. Saratoga treehouse villa's might be good too for the extra room.

Yes I agree the Villa's look very desirable in amenities and room, the prices really aren't that bad for an 8 person villa. Thank you all for your suggestions, I am sure there are a thousand what do I do like mine, I've always felt if there are people in the know then you ask and then listen.

My family is looking so forward to this trip even though it's a while away but time goes by so fast so just starting to the research now so that I have some perspective of what we are doing and getting into.

Thank You again.
Bob and Laura
:yay:

We stayed at SSR in a 2 bedroom Villa. I would look into renting points from a DVC member. You will get much larger accomodations doing it that way and you would have so much room. Our 2 bedroom was so nice! We saved some money by eating breakfast in and then having our dinners out. You dont' have to do that but it does save some money. The accomodations were beautiful! I don't think you would be disappointed. My parents treated us to the Polynesian and we are 2 adults and 2 teenagers and we enjoyed the SSR so much more! Sure the Polynesian was beutiful but we had so much more room in the villa and no one had to get up 2 hours early to be the first one in the shower! A SUPER PLUS for us!!! LOL

I recommend Beach Club Villas 2 bedroom. Your grandson will love Stormalong Bay. My son will be 17 for our trip in 2 weeks and he still loves the pool & slide there.
We also eat breakfast in and usually one dinner.
Epcot & Boardwalk are steps away.
Laundry in your room
Have fun researching and good luck

Rob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter