• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie here...DLR. Will DAS help with inability to stand or sit on concrete to save seats?

imjen

DIS Veteran
My discs in my back have gotten bad enough that sitting on concrete or standing in place to save our family a spot for fantasmic or fireworks is very painful and I pay for it for days after. Will a DAS help or am I out of luck in trying to watch those shows? I can't stand in long lines anymore without pain either. I have never had a special pass at Disneyland before. How long is the line to get one and would my family be using up a lot of low crowd line times during opening hour since I read they'd have to wait with me? ANy tips?

I cant answer your question about the DAS and show/ parade lines ect. but can you get a seat cane? I use a trifold seat cane.. so it folds up and you use it like a reg cane, but then when it opens its a seat.. this not only assures me that I have a seat when I need it, but using the cane, does help with walking round the parks also.. good luck hope you have a great time..

I don't see how as DAS would help you with spots for parades or fireworks. Sounds like what you need is a place to sit while you wait. A card isn't going to do that. A cane seat might be an option. A rollator is another one. Or an ECV if you also have endurance problems.

Are you talking about DISNEYLAND or WDW?
At WDW, you can get Fastpass Plus for both parade & fireworks viewing areas and Fantasmic.
DAS would not really help for either of those because it doesn't provide anywhere to sit. There are no handicapped viewing areas for fireworks and the handicapped viewing areas for parades fill up quickly and don't have any seats.

There are 2 threads about DAS stuck near the top of this board. One is about WDW and one is about DL.
You can find out more information about renting ECVs in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, also near the top of this board (or follow the link in my signature). An ECV will probably be more helpful in your situation than DAS would be.

My discs in my back have gotten bad enough that sitting on concrete or standing in place to save our family a spot for fantasmic or fireworks is very painful and I pay for it for days after. Will a DAS help or am I out of luck in trying to watch those shows? I can't stand in long lines anymore without pain either. I have never had a special pass at Disneyland before. How long is the line to get one and would my family be using up a lot of low crowd line times during opening hour since I read they'd have to wait with me? ANy tips?

1) Why not rent an ECV or wheelchair, so you can sit?
2) DAS is not usually issued for "standing/sitting/walking" problems, as there are other solutions.

1) Why not rent an ECV or wheelchair, so you can sit?
2) DAS is not usually issued for "standing/sitting/walking" problems, as there are other solutions.
Thanks everyone for feedback. I will already have a daughter using a wheelchair and a two year old in a stroller. So I need to be able to push one of them around while my hubby pushes the other one. It's too bad I cant just rent a chair to sit on for waiting and watching Fantasmic. I don't think I can afford the dinner or dessert package for my whole family...Hubby and I and 4 kids.

Fantasmic: Everyone going in the theater gets a seat so having the dinner package only guarantees you arriving to a few center sections of the theater. There truly are no bad seats and we often arrive "late" so we can walk right in and sit down even if it's off on the sides. You could also book FP+ so you can arrive later but we did it last time and we were sent where those without were going anyway. There are three water screens so we are still sitting directly in front of one of those on the sides. Wheelchair seating is at the back of each section.

Wishes: Since you have a wheelchair and stroller, why not take a small towel. If you don't do FP+ then find a good spot for your family and have your DH and other two kids sit, keeping a small buffer of space for you. You walk off and get ice cream or snacks for them and bring it back to them. Then you just walk to keep moving until it's almost time and return for the show. Now if you aren't concerned with the Castle projections and front view there are lots of spots around the park to enjoy the fireworks and sit. I have family that has to have a seat and they have enjoyed from Fantasyland, Tomorrowland and last trip we sat in Adventureland in front of the Tiki Birds (a wall of seats) and it was great for fireworks and finale - but no castle view, but also zero crowds. I even took DS on the Magic Carpets and they timed it so we were in the air for the finale.
There is no theater or seats at DLR.

There is no theater or seats at DLR.

I saw the title but I guess I read into responses, that the answers were for WDW and she was asked if that is where she was going. If she has already been traveling to DL then she would know what was there, so I guess I assumed she was trying to plan for WDW issues.

I apologize if my information was incorrect as to where she was going, I'll delete so as to not confuse her.

Disneyland doesn't have seats for Fantasmic. The best available is the cushion that comes with the dinner package to the Blue Bayou. It is standing room only in the FastPass sections.

The Parade route in Disneyland does have some benches around by the Plaza Inn - but you have to get there very early (like an hour early). Likewise around IASW plaza. They do have a wheelchair section, but, I am not sure they have seats in that section and it seems to fill up quickly. You could ask in Guest Relations regarding this. I am not as familiar with the Parade route in California Adventure to give any information regarding where you could sit. It seems like we are always standing for that one. It is short and sweet.

World of Color does have handicapped seating and they do have limited benches in that area. Make sure you get a fast pass and get there early. The CM's will direct you in.

I believe that at DLR the DAS will not help you with the parades or shows. The DAS gives you an alternative wait line for attractions. But ask at Guest Relations to be sure.

Have fun!

Can you bring one of those cushy kitchen mats (made to make standing in the kitchen for long periods more comfortable and make people less fatigued) with you to stand on? (Or do cushy shoe inserts help you?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter