Newbie help!

Mama Steph

DIS Veteran
I am a new poster but longtime lurker. We are planning a trip to Dis over spring break but may possibly put it off. This came up very last minute and I am trying to get things worked out.
Last year we went to MK for 1 day. It was the kid's first trip and we had an excellent time. I am now dying to go back for more time and am looking at a 5 day base ticket. We stayed at a great time share last year that had a full kitchen, master suite, 2nd bedroom with 2 queen beds, den with pull out sofa and living area with another pull out sofa. It slept 12 and was only $100 per night and was about 10 minutes from the park. We will have 9 people, dh and I with our 5 kids and my parents.
Anyway, my reason for posting here is that I have no idea how renting points works! How do you figure out how many poiints you need to rent a DVC? If we could come up with a place to stay on site I would love to try it. I am sure I could not get points for a stay in April but what if we put off our trip until summer?
TIA Sorry for the possibly silly questions.
~Steph

Welcome to the DIS boards. To get an idea of how many points you might need, you can go to the DVC points chart on the top of this board. Look up resorts you might be interested in to price out different scenerios.

With 9 people, you would need a 2 bedroom and a studio, grand villa, or the Treehosue villas at Saratoga Springs (although those are just opening in June and I have heard are pretty sold out for summer already).

To rent, you can go to the boards and contact someone who says they have points for rent. There are rules about how to post, so review those before doing so.

Most points rent between $10 - $13.00 each. For example, a 2-bedroom villa would run around 316 points in the summer. So, the cost is going to be higher than what you have paid in the past. However, there is something magical about staying on property--that is why I am now a DVC member!!!!!

I have never rented my points but there are a lot of very knowledgable people on the boards who can give you all the pros/cons and ins/out!

Good luck with your planning!

A 2 bedroom at a DVC resort will cost about three times what you paid before. If that is acceptable, there is a point chart at the top of this page.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter