Newbie help!! Itinerary thoughts

MinnieMO

If you can dream it, you can do it!
We are looking at doing a (I can’t believe this) Universal only trip. It would 2 adults, 7 nights with 3 park/5 day ticket. So here is my question. We are thinking the end of August first of September 2022.
Do you think we can do (without EP):
3 days at Universal and Island of Adventure (maybe 1 full day each and then 1/2 park on the 3rd day🤷🏼‍)
2 days at Volcano Bay (1 day for rides, 1 day to relax).

You can, but I would be inclined to intersperse the parks more - ie, 2 full days at VB would be a lot, but 2-3 mornings and/or afternoons would probably work better. If it were me, I'd hop up to the Seasonal AP - no reason not to go to the parks all 7 days if you want!
Thanks!
The other 2 days are going to be travel days, late flight in and an early flight out so we will only be there 5 full days and thought about doing City walk or pool day just to relax before heading home. As far as the VB we would be open to a full day and maybe a half if needed, just wanted to try 2 since we have never been. Last trip to Universal was 1997!

Last edited:
Can I book a package and add a person later? My sister is undecided if she will be able to go.

Thanks!
The other 2 days are going to be travel days, late flight in and an early flight out so we will only be there 5 full days and thought about doing City walk or pool day just to relax before heading home. As far as the VB we would be open to a full day and maybe a half if needed, just wanted to try 2 since we have never been. Last trip to Universal was 1997!

Five full days is perfect for a Universal only trip. It gives you plenty of time to see everything and do everything you want (food, rides, shows, shopping, maybe even return to what you really loved) without having to rush. If you have any Harry Potter fans in the group you will want to buy ParkHopper tickets so you can ride the Hogwarts Express both ways. (It is a different ride (you see different things) depending on which direction you are headed).

You can do City Walk on your last day. It's mostly shops and places to eat. With 5 full days, you can hang out at the pool in the afternoon during park days and still see/do everything.

I would price hotels to see if it makes more sense to stay in one of the hotels that includes ExpressPass. Often times, it is less expensive to book a room in one of the hotels that includes ExpressPass instead of buying it individually for every person each day. This depends on your budget and how you want to spend your money.

Can I book a package and add a person later? My sister is undecided if she will be able to go.

Reconsider booking a package. From what I have heard you rarely save money and it makes significantly harder to change things later if you want to.

Then to answer more directly, I agree that 5 days will be good. Have fun - you don't need to overly plan things. Popping between parks is very easy. VB a little less so but still not a major production. It is a good "go with the flow" vacation.

That time of year is going to be really really hot. You might want to consider partial days at VB to cool down in the afternoons. On the other hand, you’re likely to have brief thunderstorms come though each afternoon shutting down all outside attractions. The good news is the end of August and beginning of September (not Labor Day weekend though) are very low crowd times. We were there last year and felt like we could have skipped the express passes because the wait times were so manageable.

That time of year is going to be really really hot. You might want to consider partial days at VB to cool down in the afternoons. On the other hand, you’re likely to have brief thunderstorms come though each afternoon shutting down all outside attractions. The good news is the end of August and beginning of September (not Labor Day weekend though) are very low crowd times. We were there last year and felt like we could have skipped the express passes because the wait times were so manageable.
That’s what I’m hoping for. We’ve been to WDW during that time so we are used to the weather that time of year.

I think you can do your VB plans in a single day. Spend a morning at VB doing the rides as the lines will be shorter, then you can spend the afternoon "relaxing" at VB if you want (lounging, wave pool, lazy river). I think you'll find as others have mentioned that 2 days for VB is likely "too much".

As for the other mention, don't do a package. As others have mentioned you will find no savings, and will run into hassles if you want to alter anything or worse need to cancel. Book your room and buy your tickets separately and it will be cheaper (especially if you buy your tickets from the "froggy" site which will be cheaper than buying directly from Universal).

Consider the lowest tier Annual Pass (Season Pass). They give great deals on rooms during that time of year for the top tier hotels which come with unlimited express pass. They are a last minute release (3 months or less) but we have lucked out with a basic room at hard rock for $189 and Portofino Bay Club level for $285 during that time of year. You could also consider getting the 2 park pass and buying a day at Volcano Bay separately. You can always book with a savvy traveler deal and change at the last minutes. I agree that packages are not generally the best deals. You will have a blast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter