• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie headed to the Fort on Saturday....help please

Tiggershunny

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I am a long time lurker and love reading on the camping boards. My family has been to Disney many times (we were just recently there in March 2010) but have only stayed at the Disney hotels. We have always wanted to camp at the fort, and on our last trip we took a day out to explore the fort hoping to come and camp in 2011.

Fast forward to yesterday.......my husband's company is sending him to Orlando. We are a homeschooling family with two boys ages 13 and 10, so we usually travel with him when we can. Since we are going to be in Orlando.........why not camp at the fort? We made a reservation last night and will be arriving on Saturday for 4 weeks. It's a dream come true and I am scared to death at the same time. Other than myself, my husband and the boys, we will also have our two large fur babies. I am trying to figure out how to prepare for a month at Disney. I know that we have a premium pet loop site. (This is all they had available) We have a 28 ft. travel trailer and we will be traveling from Helena, AL. We are planning to leave on Friday and drive half way. (Not sure what the half way point is) We are not planning on visiting the parks. I have no idea how much to pack, what all I need, I'm not even sure if I am making sense right now. Any tips, suggestions, thoughts, ideas, prayers.....I welcome it all. Sorry for rambling on. Usually when we go to Disney I have months to prepare. I truly am excited and looking forward to this experience, but I'm just a little overwhelmed right now.

Thanks,
Tammy

I would honestly only pack about a week's worth of clothes. I don't like letting a lot of laundry build up at home and most definitely don't like letting a lot build up while camping.

As far as food, bring some staples you may have on hand at home and then go to Super Wal-Mart or Publix when you get there. For one, sales tax is only 6.5% in Orlando instead of the 8% plus we have here.

If you want to do lots of outdoor cooking and have the means, bring a gas grill if you have it. Buying lots of charcoal can add up.

Other than that, just bring the bikes or kids scooters, and prepare to enjoy a month of just chillin!!

Four weeks at the Fort?

Sounds like heaven to me!

I'm not sure exactly what kind of help you need.

You have a trailer. I assume you have camped before in it. So just go and have fun.

I would suggest that you bring bikes for the boys to ride so they can go off and explore the Fort on their own.

I would also suggest that you buy park tickets. Four weeks is a long time to entertain the kids at the Fort. I would see if you could downgrade to a full hook up site. The savings over four weeks would easily pay for your park tickets.

But, even if you can't swing the park tickets, there will be plenty to do.

Have fun!

TCD

Also, look into where your DH work location will be in relation to the Fort. If the location warrants it, invest in a SunPass mini. You can purchase it at the Okahumpka Service Plaza on the main turnpike on the way down, then activate it by computer upon arrival. Feeding the toll monsters on a daily basis with cash (even while on work travel), is a royal pain!!

Thank you for the suggestions.

Carol - I guess that the laundry is coin operated. How much does it cost per load, and will I be in trouble it I have a clothesline? Great suggestion on the Sunpass.....I would have never thought of it.

TCD - If I were the one footing the bill we would not be in a premium site. My husbands work is paying for the campground site. They would have to put him in a hotel otherwise. They come out better if we camp. If I could only figure out how to get them to spring for tickets and dining plan!

$2.00 for wash, $2.00 for dry, bring your own detergant and dryer sheets.

Yep, a clothesline is acceptable (and in some of the funnier threads on this group a requirement!!)

Thank you for the suggestions.

Carol - I guess that the laundry is coin operated. How much does it cost per load, and will I be in trouble it I have a clothesline? Great suggestion on the Sunpass.....I would have never thought of it.

TCD - If I were the one footing the bill we would not be in a premium site. My husbands work is paying for the campground site. They would have to put him in a hotel otherwise. They come out better if we camp. If I could only figure out how to get them to spring for tickets and dining plan!

Yep, I know what you mean on the work thing, he's probably on per diem, so gets accomodations and tax up to a certain rate, then a certain amount per day for meals and incidentals. If he spends less on hotel, can't keep the savings.

When we did your long fort trip we did laundry every week. We found out that we over pack and only used some of the stuff we packed and it helps on the TT weight. If you have a gas grill buy a LP hose to connect to the main LP tank on the RV it is a lot cheaper than buying those little tanks.

Even if you aren't going to the parks, you can still go to Downtown Disney. You can drive or get the bus from The Fort. The Earl of Sandwich is one of my favorite restaurants. The best part is that it's also one the the less expensive ones.

Check out the August movie schedule posted at the top of the camping board's main page. There's a different movie every night and they are FREE! Before hand they have a campfire where you can cook hotdogs, s'mores, etc. Bring your own supplies from home to save a few bucks.

You can watch the fireworks and Electric Light Parade every evening from the beach. Really cool!

Check out the daily activies. You'll get a calendar when you check in.

Next....

Discamper - the LP hose is an excellent suggestion and again something that I would not have thought of... thank you

JudyinTexas - I cannot tell you how excited my boys are about the campfire and movies. The water parade and fireworks are great suggestions also. The whole family loves Downtown Disney. We didn't get to try Earl of Sandwich on our last trip so it is on our to do list for sure!

I cannot thank you enough for all the wonderful suggestions.

I know there have been a ffew threads on things to do for free while at the Fort. You can have fun visiting other resorts. You could take a day trip with the boys to Celebration. I would bring a microscope and magnifying glass to get in lots of impromptu science lessons.

Have fun!

There are a couple of things you might want to look into if you are willing to spend some money, but not full blown park tickets.....

Water Park and/or Disney Quest Annual Pass.

Water Park Hopper Annual Pass $106.45
Disney Quest Annual Pass $94.79
Disney Quest/Water Parks Annual Pass $137.39

There are a couple of things you might want to look into if you are willing to spend some money, but not full blown park tickets.....

Water Park and/or Disney Quest Annual Pass.

Water Park Hopper Annual Pass $106.45
Disney Quest Annual Pass $94.79
Disney Quest/Water Parks Annual Pass $137.39

I love this idea. Where can I buy water park annual passes? Do they sell them on the Disney World website or at the parks? We love Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon.

Some people will hate this but pool hop and buy Disney mugs you now can use them at all the resorts

Oh! You did say that you home school the boys. Lots of opportunities of quick lessons that are fun. How about a leaf gathering assignment for biology? It would give them a chance to get out and explore on their own. Press the leaves between sheets of newspaper and when they get home they can mount them and look up what type of trees they are from. It might be more for the younger one but the older one can "supervise".

Disney also has a Nature Preserve. You can learn more at this link. It says admission is $2. http://www.startedbyamouse.com/features/dwp.shtml

You might also check out the Disney Homeschool Days. The next session is September 7-9: http://disneyyouthgroups.disney.go.com/wdyp/ticket/ticketPackagesPage?page=HSDTicketPackagesPage

Oh! You did say that you home school the boys. Lots of opportunities of quick lessons that are fun. How about a leaf gathering assignment for biology? It would give them a chance to get out and explore on their own. Press the leaves between sheets of newspaper and when they get home they can mount them and look up what type of trees they are from. It might be more for the younger one but the older one can "supervise".

Disney also has a Nature Preserve. You can learn more at this link. It says admission is $2. http://www.startedbyamouse.com/features/dwp.shtml

You might also check out the Disney Homeschool Days. The next session is September 7-9: http://disneyyouthgroups.disney.go.com/wdyp/ticket/ticketPackagesPage?page=HSDTicketPackagesPage

Thank you so much Judy. These are wonderful suggestions. I am amazed at the learning opportunities available at Disney.

Resort hopping can be good history/geography lessons too. Imagine seeing Animal Kingdom Lodge and all the animals and African art. The Polynesian and its Hawaiian theming. Port Orleans, Old Key West, the list is endless. All for free.

To get some idea about resort hopping, check out the Everyday Adventures of the Purple Van thread. Some fascinating pictures and stories about obscure things the people at Disney have incorporated in the resorts.

I recommend Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets to save space, weight, etc.

Ice is $2.00 a bag from the machines at the comfort sttions. Depending on the temp, it may last a day or so. We keep a cooler with drinks to avoid crowding the fridge.

Maybe rent a gold cart for a day or so to get a good look at the whole campground. Also convenient for quick trips to the facilities such as the trading posts, outpost, settlement, pool, etc. A good diversion and lots of fun.

Here's some more help for the newbie . . .

When you check in to the Fort, they will give you one of these:

AugustRecreationSchedp1.jpg

AugustRecreationSchedp2.jpg

This just so happens to be the sheet for August, 2010, so all of these activities will be going on when you arrive.

As you can see, there are organized (and mostly free) activities going on seven days a week at the Fort.

In addition, I know that a lot (and maybe all?) of the other resorts have sheets like this.

And, they don't ask the kids to show ID.

So, you could, for example, travel over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge, and participate in some of their activities. They have great ones over there.

Have fun.

TCD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter