• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie Going to Poly Sunday Hurricane Dennis???

Leslie32

Going to disneyworld for the first time EVER!!!
Hi everyone, I don't know what to do. I have been planning this trip for over 6 months now. We are heading to Florida on sunday and will be there monday right when Dennis which will be a hurricane will hit. What do you all do when this happens? My daughters are crying because of this. I am scared I have never been in something like this. I need your advice please.

Thank you

Please tell the kids to stop crying and stop your worrying. The storm is projected to only graze South Florida and bring a bit of rain, not a deluge. Being all the way up in the Orlando/Central Florida region, you will not get any of the effects from the storm. Growing up in Florida, I would find that in many cases, a large depression like this will pull clouds in from Central Florida and you might actually have incredibly nice weather! Your family is not in danger, so get on that plane and enjoy your vacation ::MickeyMo !

I second the above post.

The hurricane is not headed to Orlando. You will be fine. :flower:

No one can be sure where or when it will hit. But latest projections are that it might well follow a similar path as Cindy, and hit the central Gulf Coast, around Mississippi or so. There may be some rain, and some wind, in central Florida, but since it's supposed to make landfall on Sunday and move inland, you're probably safe from having much of your vacation disrupted, since you only arrive that day, and have I assume a week or so after that.

Having been in Florida after both a tropical storm and a hurricane, I notice that the weather is usually really nice, and often much less humid, for several days after a storm like that blows out of there.

Grimley is right. We were there during Hurricane Frances and we are only really trapped for a day and a half. The parks opened the next afternoon and they were deserted.

Try not worry too much. :wave:

We were there during Jeanne and the weather(except for the day the hurricane hit)was delightful. I had never had a more pleasurable trip in Florida(weather wise,that is). I wouldn't worry about it.

Just keep in touch with the Weather Channel and right before you head out call Disney for any last minute updates on the weather.

Right now Dennis is still a TS with a prediction to become a hurricane, anything can happen. The projected path is to miss the Florida peninsula completely and affect the panhandle.

You are worring way to soon about something that might not even affect you. As stated just keep watching the weather channel.

Agree with everyone else. It's waaaayyyy to early to start worrying - mainly because Dennis is still 4-5 days away from stateside landfall. Computer model predictions are, plain and simple, not all that accurate this far out.

Have a fabulous trip! I've always wanted to stay at Poly. :)

The hurricane probably wont hit you in Orlando, but just in case bring lots of rope. Its a good preventative measure to tie yourself to a palm tree so you dont get blown away ....

Haha Very funny DizWacko. I am not that new to the florida area. Just never been to disney.

I agree...from the predictions I think things will be okay for Florida. We came down with the threat of Frances last year and stayed at the Poly and I tell ya they really took care of us. The pools stayed open until the last possible moment and they brought characters and entertainment to the lobby since the parks were closed that day. I sat out on our patio and watched the hurricane come through.

You'll be fine...we'll be heading down on Saturday.

We will be arriving at the Poly on Sat evening :cool1: .....Im not really worried, but I think my plans to get a nice dinner at CCs and sit with it on the beach to watch the ELP and wishes are shot....:rolleyes:
Im keeping my fingers crossed for some(a little bit :wizard: ) sun this coming week.....

I am watching this soon-to-be-hurricane (maybe at the 5:00 update) for many reasons, 1) I live in Florida, 2) I am going to the AKL this weekend, 3) I keep up on this stuff for my workplace. To be honest, it is still too soon to tell where Dennis is really going. Yes the modelling looks GREAT, but if you read the NHC discussions you will see that really past tomorrow morning, it's all very murky. We will know more tomorrow evening going into Friday, but still may not have a real hold on this thing until later Friday. Right now Cindy is interacting with the Bermuda High that is protecting Florida. It could cause the High to move east, thus drawing Dennis closer to the west coast of Florida. The best thing to do at this time is to monitor the situation, and have a back-up plan just in case. :)

Miss Jasmine said:
I am watching this soon-to-be-hurricane (maybe at the 5:00 update) for many reasons, 1) I live in Florida, 2) I am going to the AKL this weekend, 3) I keep up on this stuff for my workplace. To be honest, it is still too soon to tell where Dennis is really going. Yes the modelling looks GREAT, but if you read the NHC discussions you will see that really past tomorrow morning, it's all very murky. We will know more tomorrow evening going into Friday, but still may not have a real hold on this thing until later Friday. Right now Cindy is interacting with the Bermuda High that is protecting Florida. It could cause the High to move east, thus drawing Dennis closer to the west coast of Florida. The best thing to do at this time is to monitor the situation, and have a back-up plan just in case. :)

ITA - once these things hit the inner Gulf they can do anything...I have seen them take a drastic turn and look at Charlie....was "going" to hit Tampa Bay and hit Port Charlotte area instead....

I don't think Dennis will come anywhere near Orlando. If it does threaten Orlando, WDW would be the place where I would like to ride it out!

DizWacko said:
but just in case bring lots of rope. Its a good preventative measure to tie yourself to a palm tree so you dont get blown away ....

Please tell me your joking right??????? :scared1: :eek: :hyper2: We are going to disney/florida for our first time during hurrican season (Septemeber). Everyone will know me cause I will be the one with 300 feet of rope in the van; Just call me the rope lady. :rotfl:

WDW is safe even in a hurricane.

don't worry!

now if you staying off-site different story.

but on-site - WDW builts those resorts to last.

I know when I asked about OKW (DVC) then I was told it was built to withstand a 150 mph hurricane wind.

I think the Polyn is probably the same.

kelscross said:
I agree...from the predictions I think things will be okay for Florida. We came down with the threat of Frances last year and stayed at the Poly and I tell ya they really took care of us. The pools stayed open until the last possible moment and they brought characters and entertainment to the lobby since the parks were closed that day. I sat out on our patio and watched the hurricane come through.

You'll be fine...we'll be heading down on Saturday.

The predictions are good it will miss Central Florida, but the projections are not good for the rest of Florida especially the panhandle near Destin and Pensicola which was already hard hit last fall.

I wouldn't worry about the hurricane. I live in Pensacola and we will probably get the hurricane. I guess I'm to the point that I have to laugh about it because this has been very crazy. I'm actually blaming the hurricanes on a co-worker who stated that hurricanes like her and they seem to follow her. Since she moved here we have had one strom after another.

Please say some prayers that the storm will die down and Pensacola won't be hit. We are still trying to recover from Ivan and a few other storms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter