• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Newbie Family of Seven Goes to DL - updated with our final day

Day Four – Our adventure comes to an end!

All to soon, we found ourselves facing the last day of our vacation. I had scheduled Disney California for our last day, because I figured that by then we would all want to sleep in a bit. Not too long, though, because I knew that DCa unofficially opens one half hour earlier than the stated opening time (thanks again, disboards :worship: ). The kids loved hearing the announcement that “Disney's California Adventure will be opening in twenty minutes” just as we were going through the queue for Soarin'. We got on the first flight, and enjoyed the beautiful sights and smells of California.

And now I have to interrupt this narrative to tell you about the Quest for the Bunny Ears. We had signed up for a photopass share, and up until this point, we hadn't had a lot of pictures taken, so I was determined to use photopass to the max on our last day. #4 had his own photopass agenda – to make bunny ears! This went on all day. Here you can see the bunny sneaking out:
47b8db10b3127ccec46b43cdc09700000055100AatGbFu4ctWIPbz4Q

Sneaking (note the perfect bunny head on dh's tummy):
47b8db10b3127ccec46b939fc0ad00000056100AatGbFu4ctWIPbz4Q

And finally, sweet success as the photographer let him make bunny ears on himself!

47b8db10b3127ccec46bb46901e000000056100AatGbFu4ctWIPbz4Q

I know that "Where Dreams Come True" should be technically reserved for Disneyland, but it just fits too well with how excited he was.

From Soarin', we went on Monsters, Inc. (cute!), and then to Muppet Vision 3-D (I loved the live action bits). It was then time for a journey through the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. I headed in with the four older kiddos. The cast members were fabulous – they really added to the eerie mood. We buckled up and away we went – up, down, up, down, up, down. I felt like a bug caught in jar being shaken by a little kid. Most of the people around me were laughing. I was screaming. :scared1: When the ride ended, I feared that we had finally pushed #4's bravery too far. As people began exiting, he remained in his seat, ashen faced. Finally, his little lips began moving, trying to form words. “That...was...so...cool!” And away he went, dancing off the ride.

Turtle Talk With Crush was next on our agenda. I thought it was amazing – Crush did a terrific job entertaining the children and adults. DH (aka Sourpuss Spoilsport) said it was simple video game technology and any computer programmer could do something similar. Harumph – I'd like to see him try.

For the first time the entire trip, we decided to split up the family. #1 and I went to see Aladdin again. It was a totally different cast, and still a fantastic show. I honestly couldn't say which cast I enjoyed most – they were both fantastic. And this time, the flying carpet was working!

DH took the other four offspring to see The Magic of Brother Bear, which they all proclaimed to be boring. Then they took on the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, which they LOVED. From there, they headed over to the Mission Tortilla Factory for a tour and a tasty snack.

Once Aladdin was over, we met up with the rest of the troop for a ride through the Grizzly River Rapids. The older kids mocked me mercilessly about wearing my poncho, but at the end of the ride, I was DRY. I was also a bit disappointed. It was way to tame for my taste. Of course, you have to understand that we go body-surfing down real live rivers for fun, so I'm probably just a bit jaded. There had been some sort of ride malfunction that caused us to wait a little longer than expected in line at Grizzly, so we had to make another SPRINT to the ART stop to make it on the last ride home before their lunch break. After all of the time we spent running to the ART, we should really enter ourselves in a race now – we're ready.

Four hours later, we were headed back into the parks. We headed over to pick up some fastpasses for Screamin'. EGADS! They were out of fastpasses! We would actually have to stand in line! Aargh! DH and #2 headed for the long, long line, while I took #s 1 and 3 to the Maliboomer. I watched, they rode. I'm smart that way. DH and #2 were still in line for Screamin', so we conquered the Orange Stinger next. The little ones played on the SS Rustworthy while the girls rode. Finally, after waiting so patiently while the big kids had their fun, #4 got to ride Jumpin' Jellyfish.

We headed back over to Screamin', where DH and #2 were STILL in line. I picked up a babyswap pass and sent #s 1 and 3 to begin their long wait in line. A few minutes later, DH and #2 FINALLY finished up the ride. #2 and I used our babyswap to hop back in line, where we passed the girls. #1 was not happy about this.

And now, the time had come for the terrifying, horrifying, way too extreme It's Tough to be a Bug. We thought it was cute. Even #5 got into it. A few measly bugs can't scare us!

We were getting hungry, so we picked up a CUTE sourdough Mickey head, which we immediately tore into. Poor Mickey.

At this point, DCa was about to close. I had planned on taking the whole family back to the trailer to get ready for an early daparture the next morning, but the three oldest realized the Disneyland would still be open for the next two hours, and BEGGED me to stay in the parks with them. “What?! We can't leave yet! We love it here! We aren't ready to go!” These are the same children that spent months complaining that we were forcing them to go to stupid Disneyland on vacation. My, my, how things had changed. So DH, whose feet were covered in blisters, took the littles ones back while the rest of us were UNLEASHED in Disneyland. No strollers, no five-year-olds to lose, no plans. Ah, the freedom of it all! :banana:

I decided that we could each pick one final ride to go on. #3 chose Screamin', so back into the long line we went. That ride is murder on hair. Here is #3 just after her first ride on Screamin':
47b8db10b3127ccec46affbe61c600000056100AatGbFu4ctWIPbz4Q

#2 then chose to ride ToT. The park was closing in about 10 minutes, so I told him that he and #1 would have to RUN to make it in time. And run they did, pell-mell right into Bug's Land. It was hilarious to see two teenagers running as fast as they could into the kiddie ride section of the park. They realized their mistake, corrected course, and went running into It's Tough to be a Bug. Oops. At this point I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. :rotfl2: They finally came back to me for directions, and I sent them on their way. #3 and I browsed some of the shops while we waited for them. DCa has some really wonderful little shops. I especially enjoyed the animation shop.

Next, #1 chose to ride Space. This time we did it without fastpasses. That's right, another line. We survived the long wait by actually – gasp - talking to one another. Once again, we loved Space.

And now it was time for my pick. Can you guess which ride I chose? Can you?? That's right – we were off to Splash! On our previous rides, I had managed to place one of my children in front of me to use as a shield against the water. This time, I took one for the team, and I got the “privilege” of riding in the front seat. We zipped, we doo-dahed, I got SOAKED! As we approached the loading area, we heard “Welcome back riders, would you like to go again?” Um, YEAH! So we were off again, without even getting out of our log. We zipped, we doo-dahed, we sang, we decided which silly pose to make for the picture, and I got drenched. This time, we were definitely getting off the ride. No matter what. Once more, we were asked if we wanted to keep riding. Hmmmm....YES! We zipped, we doo-dahed, we got in trouble for rocking the boat. We even talked to the vultures. That was when #1 noticed the real live man at the vulture station. I had forgotten that we are always being watched at Disneyland. Somewhere on you tube, there is probably a video of me making a total fool of myself on Splash Mountain. While looking like a drowned rat. Sigh. At this point, Disneyland was closing, so we were not invited to ride again. Not that we would have, anyway. I do have some self restraint. Really, I do.

So we headed out of Disneyland, having had the time of our lives. That's right, the old Disney magic won us over. pixiedust: Disneyland has now officially been added to our future vacation plans, but first we have to go to the Black Hills, Texas, and Yellowstone. I'm not sure I can wait that long.

pixiedust: Disneyland has now officially been added to our future vacation plans, but first we have to go to the Black Hills, Texas, and Yellowstone. I'm not sure I can wait that long.

um...don't forget a trip to WDW too!! Sounds like you guys had a blast! Thanks so much for sharing your fun to read review. Hope to read more in the future.

Quick question...does all of DCA open early? I must have missed this tip!! Thanks!

Awwww, thanks all for your nice comments.
The sneaky shop trick: All of the shops on the right hand side of main street are connected at the back. You simply have to step into the first shop that interests you, and then browse your way to the front of the crowds. :rolleyes1

Another good shop trick,

there's a small booth to the far left (if you go threw the tunnel on the left)
good place to grab items as you leave the park.

Aw, thanks for your nice comments.

As far as I know, the Condor Flats area is the only section of DCa that opens 1/2 hour early, and it's not a guaranteed tip - that's why you don't hear about it as much. It worked like a charm for us, though!

And of course I'll add WDW to my vacation plans - how could I have forgotten that?

Thank you for sharing your trip report with all of us. I really enjoyed
hearing about your adventures.

I do have a question for you if you wouldn't mind. You wrote that you
stayed at the RV Park there on Harbor and we were wondering how
you liked it? We will be going back to Disneyland in December and we
were thinking about taking the trailer this time instead of staying in
a hotel.

Anyway, any input on your opinions of the RV park would be wonderful
and greatly appreciated.

It's always fascinating to hear first impressions of Disneyland. I actually think Splash is slightly better at Disneyland. Disneyland has more audio animatronic figures than the MK counterpart and at the MK, you go right from everybody's happy go lucky to the vultures warning you of your impending doom. There's no transition about being captured by Brer Fox. At both places, it's a sensational ride though.

My parents always stay in the RV park across from the elementary school. They like it quite well. They usually drive the RV to the parks, thus enabling us to eat and take breaks right there without having to fight the shuttle times.

We stayed at the Anaheim Resort RV Park. It's the one right across from the elementary school. We enjoyed it there. The park was very "homey." There was nothing fancy about it at all, but it was nicely landscaped and we didn't feel like we were in a parking lot. The wi-fi was terrible. Here is a picture of our site:
47b8db07b3127ccec46033b5622e00000076100AatGbFu4ctWIPbz4Q

We would happily stay there again, but if $ wasn't an issue, I would stay right across the street and walk to Disneyland!

Thank you for letting me know which park you stayed in and what you
thought of it. We would love to be able to stay right across the street
but unfortunately I don't think our budget would like it very much. Last
year we stayed at Raffle Inn and Suites but it was pretty far from
Disneyland and if we can't be right by the park we figured if the campground
was decent we would save some money and stay there instead.

Thanks Again, I really appreciate it.

There is another RV park on W Ball right down the street from the Mickey & Friends parking lot. I just saw it last week, but I don't remember the name of it. My parents always stayed at the Anaheim Resort RV Park because it used to honor a discount they had, but last August my parents found out they didn't honor that discount anymore.

I'm not sure what the price on the RV park on W Ball is.

Thanks for the RV park pic and info. If you have any other info or insight on the RV park could you let me know?? We are trying to decide which RV Park to stay in next June.

Finally got a chance to catch up on some reading.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, sounds like you had a good time.

Sorry about the Bathroom and Billy Hill show we usually find them pretty funny.

FYI, the closet bathroom would have been by the entrance to Rancho del Zocalo right across from the Golden Horseshoe.

How would you rate your overall satisfaction with the ART system?

Black Hills, Texas, and Yellowstone :thumbsup2

I also caught up on some reading. JJ, what a fun (& funny) trip report. :hippie:

Many, many snippets had me laughing out loud & I very much related to you wanting to "slow down" that pre-school family during MM. The nerve of them getting on Dumbo on the first cycle.....that cycle was reserved for the James family. :lmao:

J, do you mind if i include your Jedi experience on the Jedi Tip thread? Not only great information, but i felt i was there with you. (Plus it was crazy funny.)

Thanks for sharing your trip report. :thumbsup2

& Let me know if you want some "inside skinny" on Texas (if it is on your future trip radar).

hound - :cool2:

Fantastic and certainly entertaining trip report! You are a brave woman to be able to keep up with a family of 7 in Disneyland!
I am in awe! :worship: BTW, you have a beautiful family. Loved the silhouette of the children and the family portrait complete with the bunny! (oh, and ds's bunny ears, as well!)

I loved your description of your 15 yo dd. (tends to lose her cool with younger siblings) I've got a DS-17 who thinks our DD-8 is a thorn in his side. I get so aggravated with him for having no patience with her but that's just teens I suppose. :rolleyes2 (Don't tell anyone but I do know that nobody had better mess with his little sister unless they want to deal with him.)

So glad to hear that after the initial "we don't want to go to Disneyland" you were able to prove to them that they could indeed have a great time! I'd almost be willing to bet they will want to make a return trip. :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing a few tips that I've missed! I've made some notes to try to get in line for Nemo during the fireworks and to try getting in CA the 1/2 hour before the official opening time.

Glad to hear that the Jedi Masters :darth: are patient with ones that do not always share the grace and ease some others have. We've never done the Jedi training so your rave review sure inspires me to get my little Jedi in there!

I have to agree with some of your assessments.
  • The park could really use more signs to point out things like restrooms.
  • Fantasmic is a pretty good show but not on the top of my have-to-do list either.
  • Miniskirts are a bad fashion choice anywhere. (oh, and how about the girls who weak the stilleto heels to the park? Gosh, how their feet must hurt later!)
  • $150 worth of ramen noodles does seem maybe a little excessive.
  • Last but not least, always remember to read the Times guide!

I'm in Texas too, a bit north of Hound 109, so if you need any info about Texas feel free to ask!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! I'm amazed you all survived such a long trip report.

Goofster - Someone actually pointed out the Rancho bathroom to me, but I still couldn't find it. (Remember, I AM blonde.) As far as our satisfaction with ART - on the first day, we were not impressed at all. I'd give it maybe a 3/10. On subsequent days, it was much better. Maybe a 7 or 8/10.

Hound - Share away! It was your fabulous tip thread that convinced us to go to JTA in the first place. And I would LOVE some "inside skinny" on Texas. We'll be there in 2010, ready for adventure!

Marie - Ah, teens. Aren't they fun? Just when you're about to strangle them, they go and do something really sweet, and you remember why you love them. And I'll take any Texas info you're willing to give me.

Thanks again for sharing our adventures!

jjames, where in Texas are you going? What do you already plan to see? And what sort of things are you interested in?

Marie,

We're just in the wee early planning stages of our Texas trip. All I know is that we'd like to hit San Antonio and a beach. So really, any insider info you can give me would be great. I'd love to hear about some things that we wouldn't normally hear about on basic travel sites. We'll be staying for about a week, and we'll be driving.

a little late but love the TR. I am gland to hear u liked ridemax. i also invested and can't wait to see it in action. i dont have a laptop so i am making like 10 different plans before we go. I also have a DBF that moves very slowly. I must make sure to emphasise the fact that he HAS to stay on schedule. i am glad you all had fun...:upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter