Newbie does DxDDP for 11 days! Lots of pictures, loads of signatures (COMPLETED!)

rubysparkles

Mouseketeer
Hi I'm Caroline, I'm 24 years old and from England. I've been to Disney World three times before, twice when I was young and once last year. Unfortunately when I went last year I couldn't persuade my family to go to Disney for more than two days! We did all of Orlando in 10 days (WDW, US, BG, SW), but there was a LOT I still wanted to do at Disney. I decided to take a solo trip, during F&W, so I could do everything I wanted to do at WDW. 11 days at Port Orleans Riverside, with one day at Universal (mainly so I could ride Forbidden Journey again!).

My main reasons for going again were atmosphere... and food. Lots of food. I'd never used the DDP before and when I booked it was free! Exciting! But, I soon realised if I wanted to make the most of my trip I would have to upgrade to DxDDP (or pay loads OOP), which I did by phone about a week after booking the trip.

Here's a list of my reservations (There will be Food and Wine pictures at the end):

31st October – Riverside Mill (original reservation for Boatwrights)

1st November
Lunch – Mythos (IOA)
Dinner – Artist's Point

2nd November
Lunch – Le Cellier Steakhouse
Dinner - Tutto Italia Ristorante

3rd November
Lunch – Yak and Yeti
Dinner – Jiko

4th November
Lunch – Hollywood Brown Derby
Dinner – Yachtsman Steakhouse

5th November
Lunch – Wolfgang Puck Express (original reservation for Captain's Grille)
Dinner – California Grill

6th November
Lunch – Raglan Road
Dinner – Citricos

7th November
Breakfast – Kouzzina
Dinner – (*cancelled for later!*) Flying Fish

8th November
Breakfast - Starring Rolls Cafe
Lunch - 50's Prime Time Cafe
Dinner – Narcoossee's

9th November
Lunch – Sanaa
Dinner – Flying Fish (*cancelled San Angel Inn*)

10th November
Dinner – Kona Cafe

11th November
Breakfast – The Wave
Lunch – Wolfgang Puck Cafe

*BONUS* - Everything Else! Food and Wine + Little Bits And Pieces

First day, I booked for Boatwrights at 9:30pm, leaving 3 hours after landing. Unfortunately, I didn't make it because the customs line took me over an hour and a half to get through. I don't understand why they can't seem to get it right. Especially taking into consideration they didn't even take families with small children through the line quicker, after a ten hour flight. Meh, I have a lot to say about how rude and badly planned security is at the airports in the US. Anyways... Don't want to offend anyone. Bad experiences, eh?

So I didn't get to eat at Boatwrights, and I did want to try it but it was near the bottom of my list of 'must dos'. It was really for convenience. But instead I got something more easy, the counter service at Riverside.

SAM_0071.jpg

I got the chipotle burger and cheesecake for dessert. The fries were the type I liked, skin on and salty but not greasy. (My favourite) naughty American bacon on the burger and a wholemeal bun. I took one look at the burger and didn't think I could manage it, I did, if you don't count the onion rings. The bad: isn't chipotle supposed to have some spice? The BBQ sauce was very bland. The bun was huge for the amount of meat you got. The bread smothered the meat/cheese/sauce/bacon for the first couple of bites. But it filled the hole.

The cheese cake was ok, but I bought it for the strawberry topping. As soon as I saw someone walk past with strawberries in a kind of syrupy topping, I was sold. I couldn't finish the cheesecake as I was too exhausted. I finished the strawberries though. Nom nom nom.

:thumbsup2 good start food looks good and after a long flight that u had I probably wouldn't want to try to make a Table Service either can't wait for more

Very much looking forward to your reviews! We are eating at quite a few of the same places on our trip in January.

:thumbsup2

We're staying at POR in January!

Excited for your reviews- especially Flying Fish (our one signature this trip).

Thanks for the Pic of the burger! DH is a burger fan- So I think I'll have him skip this one- he'd be disappointed in the non spicy BBQ.

Hey there! From a fellow Englander!:flower3:

You have a great list of restaurants! Can't wait to hear all about your experiences.

I totally understand the need to go back to Universal to go on The Forbidden Journey again - I'm looking forward to doing the same next year!:yay:

Oh I'm really looking forward to this one :goodvibes

Too bad you missed your first ADR but I am sure you more than make up for it with the other yummy places you went to :thumbsup2

I'm subbing! I hope you had a lot of fun on your solo trip! It's unfortunate you had to wait so long at the airport and missed your ressie but at least it was one you weren't looking forward to that much. I love the Forbidden Journey ride at universal. My DH loved it even more! After we went on it he couldn't stop talking about it :rotfl:

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! :goodvibes

My first day, I thought I'd get Universal done and dusted. I didn't have a car with me so I bought one a ticket from Dreams Unlimited including Mears transport.

I got a bagel for breakfast in the hotel.

SAM_0075.jpg

Not much you can say, just a normal bagel! They only do cinnamon and plain at POR incase anyone else loves bagels for breakfast.

I had a great day at Universal/IOA, low crowds, got to ride all my favourites at least twice. I don't think I queued up longer than 20 minutes. Forbidden Journey was just as great as I remembered and there was no queue in the single rider line. :thumbsup2 I also got a butterbeer. Was planning on having more than one, but I forgot how much they fill you up!

I had a reservation for Mythos at 12:30 and was curious to try it out. I waited about 2 minutes to be seated, then waited a while for my server because she was serving a big group. I was sat at a table for 4 all on my own. I wasn't sure whether I should get an app and a main, but having a sushi roll on the menu made me decide to get both. I order diet coke with EVERY meal. And the sushi roll was a tempura prawn roll. I decided on the risotto of the day as well.

SAM_0088.jpg

The sushi roll was yummy, but weird. I didn't think they meant the entire roll would be in tempura batter. I was hoping for something for a bit lighter to be honest. It was nice, the prawns were a good quality and I liked the big chunks of asparagus. I left a little, because I wanted to at least eat a bit of my risotto.

SAM_0090.jpg

The first couple of bites were heavenly, but it was sooooooo rich. The risotto was cheesy and had little bits of spinach in (not much though). The sauce tasted beefy and had lots of button mushrooms in, with asparagus and a few cherry tomatoes. The dish was good, better than I expected and the beef on top was nicely cooked. I was too full to eat all the risotto but I finished all the beef, which was lovely and tender.

I'm enjoying this, and theres lots more good things to come :)

Shame about the delay at the airport, did you fly in from Manchester? We've flown on Virgin MAN/MCO the last 6 years or so and we've never had a long wait, maybe we've just been lucky.

Looking forward to the reat of your reports :thumbsup2

I sat down in the restaurant and noticed a lot of similarities between it and Napa Rose at the Grand Californian. It felt slightly less formal though. I was torn between a lot of great menu choices but decided on the Artist Point BLT. When you go there. Get this. Oh dear god it is one of the nicest things I've ever eaten. I love pork belly but I have never had it so tender and so well presented. Seriously, this app is a must do.

SAM_0102.jpg

Then I had grilled swordfish with chanterelle mushrooms and a lemon meyer cream emulsion. Another hit. Absolutely yummy. The swordfish was cooked just right and the little hidden potatoes and onions underneath added the right amount of texture. The sauce was great, I'd like to know how to make it, I'd put it with any fish.

SAM_0103.jpg

I then got chocolate indulgence, which was soooooooooo rich. I took two bites and was defeated. And I love rich deserts. I wish I could've finished it! I took it home, but when am I going to get time to eat it? I didn't take a picture at the time, because I knew I'd seen a lot of pictures of the dessert before and the previous pictures didn't come out too well.

I also got some tea (mango oolong, I think). Which was very nice.

SAM_0104.jpg

I forgot that before I left Universal I walked past a sign that said 'half price margaritas':lovestruc, I had to right?

SAM_0091.jpg

I would highly recommend Artists Point, I wanted to go back to try the Buffalo. The service was great, the restaurant itself was lovely and the food was exceptional.

That margarita was good too. It was only $4 as well.

Great reviews so far! The sushi roll looks delish. :goodvibes

edit: The app. from AP sounds good, and something I would definitely try since I love pork belly too. I like when they use press pots for tea or coffee- lots of flavor! The margarita looks quite yum too!

Shame about the delay at the airport, did you fly in from Manchester? We've flown on Virgin MAN/MCO the last 6 years or so and we've never had a long wait, maybe we've just been lucky.

I flew from London. There must have been two plane loads in front of us. It wasn't very nice. Especially after a 10 hour flight!

Great reviews!:thumbsup2

Glad you enjoyed Artist Point - it's one of our favourites too.

Half price margarita's? Fantastic!

I've been dying to see a review of Mythos. I had mentioned in my review that I was going back to Universal during my next trip and several people recommended it so I now have reservations! It looks pretty yummy! I loved your Artist Point review as well. I stayed at WL for my last trip and didn't even get a chance to try it. But hopefully next time! Great reviews so far and I'm excited to read more! :banana:

I guess with the airports and customs it can be hit or miss - when I was on the other end and flew into England and had to go through customs I waited over an hour as well! So it's not just these crazy American airports ;)

I'm so happy to see a review of Mythos! I've heard really good things. We are definitely spending a day in IOA next trip so I'm definitely considering it.

Your swordfish dish at AP looks amazing! I love swordfish and that looks just perfect :goodvibes

God, you forget how much silly things like a job getting in the way of the important things like reviewing food! :rotfl:

I made notes on most of these restaurants on my phone, half out of knowing how forgetful I was and half because I was eating alone. It was something to do other than play word mole, or study the menu or people watch. However all my notes appear to have been wiped from my evil Blackberry. Grrrr.

These are the Roasted Prince Edward Island Mussels (with tomatoes, garlic, rosemary and pernod). They also had bits of fennel in. Very nice appetizer. It felt very decadent to have an app at lunch, especially mussels. The broth was good and was even better when I dipped pretzel bread into it. Yummy.

SAM_0109.jpg

I then ordered the mushroom fillet mignon. I was pretty disappointed in this, I like mushrooms but I just think the sauce was not my sort of thing. I really thought it would be, it just is not how I would choose to have my steak prepared. I regretted getting something with risotto again. So heavy.

SAM_0110.jpg

This is the no-added sugar dessert, which was a nice bit of chocolate mousse with raspberry sorbet. It wasn't anything spectacular, but I liked it's simplicity.

SAM_0111.jpg

Nice ending to a meal that was hit and miss. I wanted to try dinner, but couldn't get a reservation. The service was quick here and I liked that the atmosphere of the restaurant really makes you feel like you are far and away from The World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter