New Yorker needs MUCH help from Californian!

BetsyB

Earning My Ears
We are going to be at DL next week!!! 1st night at Anaheim Marriott ($50 on Priceline!) next 4 nights at GC on DVC points -- we can't wait! While we are there we are planning on some side trips and I'm hoping that some locals can give us pointers as we've never been to the LA area before.
1st -- After seeing San Juan Capistrano, what beach would be the best (and easiest) to go to before we head back to DL?
2nd -- We'd like to tour Beverly Hills, Hollywood & Malibu on Sunday. Is this the best day? Should w e take a guided tour and if so, which one is reputable?
3rd -- we really want to see the desert. What would be the best way to go -- Joshua Tree or Mojave? Has anyone been to Calico Ghost Town and is it worth the trip?

I have many more questions and if a nyone would like to "mentor" me for the next 10 days it would be very much appreciated!! :pinkbounc

Betsy

Hi Betsy,

Here are my recommendations:

1. Beach - Newport Beach or Huntington Beach

2. Hollywood Tour - I prefer to drive so that I can stop when and where I want. (I am a California native so I don't mind the driving).

3. I have been to Calico Ghost Town 2 times. As a child I loved this place. As an adult, I was a little disappointed.
Calico is a long way from Disneyland. I personally would not drive the several hours just to see it.

If you want more details, just PM or email me.

Thanks for the tips, Tink! There's so much to do in the area that we're having a hard time trying to figure it all out!

Another idea...

Check out Palm Springs and Palm Desert. On the way you could stop for lunch at the Mission Inn in Riverside, it's a hotel/restaruant now but it is beautifully restored. Pricey, but I think worht it. Also, they have a cool museum called the Living Desert in Palm Desert which is a zoo like place in a desert setting. You can drive also to Joshua tree park if you like, but it would make for one LONG day. I really like the atmopshere of Palm Springs.

If you have kids they mgiht get a kick out of Calico, or if you really like Old West towns.

Jenn

1st -- After seeing San Juan Capistrano, what beach would be the best (and easiest) to go to before we head back to DL?
<font color=navy>There are a couple of options for you. You can go from San Juan right down to Dana Point/ Doheny Beaches. You can check them out at this link . Here's another link to Newport Beach </font>

2nd -- We'd like to tour Beverly Hills, Hollywood & Malibu on Sunday. Is this the best day? Should w e take a guided tour and if so, which one is reputable?
<font color=navy>You know, I have never taken any of these tours. Back in the early 70's we used to just drive around & ask the mailman if anyone famous lived in the area. I remember my mom driving up on Clint Eastwood's driveway, and telling my 14 yr old cousin (who had a major crush on him) to go ring his doorbell. She was just teasing, though. </font>

3rd -- we really want to see the desert. What would be the best way to go -- Joshua Tree or Mojave? Has anyone been to Calico Ghost Town and is it worth the trip?
<font color=navy>Here's another suggestion, though a full-day trip.... Go down to Oceanside, and drive inland through countryside, and up in the low mountains to a town called Julian (have yummy apple pies here). This is a nice little town to stop at. Then continue on down the mountain to the desert, to Anza Borrego. There is a Visitor's Center here, and a nature trail that will take you a "hidden" oasis complete with palm trees and a stream. (We usually do this, though, in the spring - I don't know about doing it when it is actually hot in the desert. After stopping there, you can continue on through an area I like to call the Badlands (looks like the moon - really weird) on to Salton Sea - a large inland sea (salt water). From there you can return to Orange County via Palm Springs (or stay the night in Palm Springs).

I like this trip because you go from ocean - countryside - mountain - desert - back to city -- all in one day. </font>

Keep asking away. There are a lot of us who like to help. :sunny:

Thanks Jenn & Mary Jo! How long would you say that drive takes, mary Jo? I know it depends on how long we stop, but a few hours to get to Anzo Borrego? It sounds like a beautiful trip and worth the time.

<font color=navy> I live about 25 miles west of Disneyland, and I think it would take about 1.5 to perhaps 2 hours of straight driving to get to Anza Borrego. However, we make a lot of stops -- Oceanside for breakfast (Oceanside is right on the water, and closer to San Diego than Los Angeles), a stop along the road for some double-yolk eggs and fresh produce, Julian for delish apple pie and a little look in their museum, and on down to Anza for a visit to their Visitors Center and walk/hike to the oasis.

By the time we go past Salton Sea, and back through Palm Springs, etc., it's usually about 8pm when we get home. We usually start a day like that by 6am or 7am. Of course, it's up to you on how much time you'd like to spend doing all this. Also, you can opt to return the same way, and save some time. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter