• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New York Observer Article on Disney

"...short Lord Farquaad, who happens to look a whole lot like the tall, real-life Disney chief Michael Eisner"

Actually, I thought he looked a lot like John Lithgow (the voice of the character).

Thanks JohnMouse for the more than sobering article on Disney animation. I am very sad about the implications and can hardly wait for AV's response. Note to AV: Please take this opportunity for your much desired and appreciated insightfullness (i.e. don't give us the obvious)...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

“…your much desired and appreciated insightfulness…” – you’re talking about me?????

I don’t know what factually I can really add to the article. It pretty well describes what’s going on. I would disagree, however, that budgets alone are hurting the animation. Remember ‘Dumbo’ was created in the darkest days of the Disney company, and was created really just to make money. Walt needed cash quick or the whole company would have gone under. What they lacked in money, they made up for with a gift for storytelling. The story ability of modern-Disney is noticeably lacking (just like the article describes) and all of the post-Katzenberg films have been rushed through production simply to keep the schedule, story be damned. Just follow the sad fate of ‘Empire in the Sun’/’The Emperor’s New Groove’ to see tragic consequences.

One of the “rumors” I have heard concerns why the staff dislike the management. Remember, most people in the Disney animation group are True Believers. They have worshipped Disney since childhood, a lot went to Cal Arts because that was “Walt’s school”, and to work for Disney is the culmination of their lives. The management, however, are just the opposite. They’re all outsiders that don’t even really like Disney animation. Their posting to Animation is just a tour of duty until they can get a "real" job. The feeling is that these people look down their noses at it, that it’s not even an art form (like theater!) and that animation is only a kiddies show and fit to be seen only on Saturday morning. Efforts to remove all pre-Mermaid characters from the park and talk that ‘Fantasia 2000’ is better than the original just got everyone’s hackles up even more. There’s a whole artist vs. businessman and a High Art vs. Low Art taint to both sides that is really harmful.

Katzenberg started off that way and no one should forget ‘Rescuers Down Under’ and ‘Oliver and Company’. But then Katzzenberg fell in love with ‘Mermaid’ and understood the passion the animators have for their craft. He still had a few troubles, and had even more at Dreamworks, but the feeling was that he “got it”. That can not be said about for the people that can later.

The last note in a lengthy post – one of the Howard Ashman songs cut from ‘Aladdin’ has a very moving story behind it. When the movie began production, one of the characters was Aladdin’s mother. Aladdin himself was little rougher (more of a street punk), but he knew he was a big disappointment to his kind-hearted mother. His desire to make his mother proud is what sets Aladdin off on his adventures in the first place. Before he leaves, he sings a song wishing for his mother’s forgiveness for his short coming and to reassure her that she’s a good mother despite how he turned out.

When Howard Ashman wrote the song, he knew he was dying. The song is also his plea to his own mother and his own family and it’s impossible to listen to the song and not get a lump in the throat. Sadly, the character of Aladdin’s mother wasn’t working in the story and it was cut. I don’t know if Disney has ever released the song.

If you somehow thought I didn't respect your opinion, I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer that I did. I alwys find your knowledge & insight interesting & intriguing, I sometimes disagree with your conclusions, but that reaches into the realm of opinion...

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on this article...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Sadly, the character of Aladdin’s mother wasn’t working in the story and it was cut. I don’t know if Disney has ever released the song.

They did, AV. There was a 4 CD set called 'The Music Behind the Magic' that covered previously unreleased tracks from Ashman & Menkin. I actually bought it for the deleted songs from Aladdin & Beauty and the Beast. I don't know if it's still available.

Sarangel

Thank you Ms. Sarangel - I haven't heard of that collection before and I will definetly be on the look out for it.

And sorry Mr. Pirate, I'm not used to having people refer to my writing as either "desired" or "insightful". It was a shock to my nervous system.

Rumors are bubbling about a big shake-up in the entire Film Entertainment group. I'll pass on any that I hear, but it may be good news for Animation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter