New York, New York!

stal

DIS Veteran
Hello all... i am trying to plan a holiday to new york... how ong would you recommend? What do you think are the must sees? Who to book with?

Hi Stal :)

We stayed there for five nights - we attended two wedding receptions so that took up part of our trip, but I felt it gave us long enough to check out Manhattan (where we stayed), but nothing further afield.

We booked flights using the internet (using Opodo) and hotel separately to fit in with our plans.

A tour of Manhattan on an open top bus gives you a great overview of the different parts of the city and you could get off and on when and as often as you pleased during the day.

The Empire State Buildng is a must - it's much better to go early in the day before it gets busy and, although we didn't make it at night, I'm told that we should have done that too!

If you are into museums and galleries they have fantastic ones in New York.

We walked around Central Park - although I didn't find it exceptional as parks go, it was the romance of being there that mattered most!!

We took the Staten Island Ferry but didn't get off the ferry at Staten Island but came straight back across, just to see the Statue Of Liberty and the return trip gave us the opportunity to bag front row for taking photos of the harbour and the Manhattan skyline as we drew slowly closer.

You can also get a ferry to the Statue itself - there was an hour's wait time for that when we passed the gates there in Battery Park, so might be worth getting there early for that too.

Wall Street is another must see and all the buildings close by.

Grand Central Station is also on everyones list of 'must see'.

I didn't have any time to shop really and chose the wrong department store when I did have an hour to look round - we went to Macy's and it may be the oldest dept store, but I wish we'd gone to Bloomingdales instead, I found our afterwards that that is the store to go to - next time perhaps :)!!

Anyway here are a few earlier threads which I hope may be helpful to you -

New York!

New York!!

New York!!!

I can only agree with the above, I was there 5 days in 2001 working, but it still left enough time to see all the touristy things.

Strawberry fields in central park(joh lennon memorial)
Ride around central park in a horse and cart
statue of liberty
emipre state building
times square
madison square gardens
grand central station

would definatelty do Macys, this is a great place, but wouldnt do bloomindales!!!, toooooooo expensive, and abit lardy dar for me LOL!!!

Cant help on who to book with, but there are some great last minute bookings to be had, as i was looking a few weeks ago, it does depend on what time of year you go as to what price you pay.
Jules

New York my second favourite place after WDW, I would definitely agree with what has been written before, and the Empire State Building is fantastic at night.

We have done a cruise around Manhatten upto the Statue of Liberty and this was on a speedboat called the Beast, it was really good fun and well worth doing.

Another thing that is good to do is going around Manhatten in a helicopter, it is fantastic.

We also got a good tip from the Brits Guide to NYC and it was a tour of NY in a police car. We went with an ex NYPD officer and he takes you all around places of interest. I can't remember the cost now I think it is dependent on how many people take the tour but they have them at regular times, I will look in my book tonight and let you know.

Also dependent on what time of year you choose to go you can ice-skate at Rockerfeller Centre, which is truly magical.

We normally book the flights through American Express as they have great Continental deals and book the hotel on-line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter