New York Information

Don't forget to hit TKTS in the middle of Time Square. Even if you can't get to see the Lion King you can still get great seats at great shows and pay half price. If you want to see a show you have to wait in line before the ticket counter opens. For an evening show it usually opens around 3p.m. When the counter opens you'll see a board that will let you know what shows have tickets. You get you tickets and go have a nice drink at the top of the Marriot Marquee. They also have a small light dinner buffet for about $20. Ask of a table by the window. It's a really nice view. Have fun.

Hey Bergen County!!! Me too!!!

My son suggests you bite the bullet and plan on the cab. There is no better way without a lot of hastle to get into the city from the airport. Tons of money was spent to build a train over to the city..but he tells me on the test run, it tipped (bacause no one thought to tie the cement blocks in that they were using as people), and someone was killed. It's just sitting there now, not able to be uses.
He says he rents a car to pick him up, but it's the same price as a taxi.

DownNeckBoy: Thanks for the flight information that you found for me! I've found the CHS to EWR fares, but I'm wanting to fly non-stop to and from. I can get directly there from Charleston, but coming back it's a bear. I have to fly from EWR to Atlanta and wait for a flight back to Charleston, when if I travel to and from LaGuardia I can get a direct flight each way. It's going to be hard enough to get DH away from work to go, but if I throw in a long layover, he won't be a happy camper.

NLK: Thanks for the TKTS booth information. I saw it there the last time we were in NYC, but I'm a compulsive planner and have to have my events in line. Right now I'm just waiting for LION KING tix to be released for our time period, and my planning will be about done.

DMRick: Thanks so much for remembering to check with your son after his return from Ireland (lucky guy!). I'd more or less figured on the cab, but needed additional input!!

Now if I can just get my other plans lined up, I'll be (kind of) on top of things for a little while. I'm still looking for meal ideas though.... hope you all can keep them coming!!!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Many discounts for advance tickets to Broadway shows available on www.theatermania.com. Flower-- I hope you found my info on delis and John's Pizza in my earlier post helpful. As my office is in Times Square, I have lots of info on the Times Square area. Feel free to follow up with any other questions you may have

Someone mentioned Citypass, but there is another pass called New York Pass. New York Pass is $42 and includes over 40 top attractions. There are also 2, 3 and 7 day passes available. One of the attractions included with New York Pass is Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. Admission to Madame Tussauds alone is $25. So the New York Pass is really worth it. We went to Madame Tussauds a couple of weeks ago, it was really great. Included with admission is a virtual reality movie called "New York, New York". It is something like the movies they have at WDW, at EPCOT. You really feel like you are moving. New York Skyride is another attraction that is included. It is a motion-simulator inside the Empire State Building. It is also lot's of fun. Additionally, The New York Pass package includes a Metrocard valid for the duration of your Pass, providing unlimited access to the City's buses and subways. Also included is a full color, informative, comprehensive guidebook containing information about all of our featured attractions, including maps and public transportation directions to each. The New York pass will get you there, and get you in!
http://www.newyorkpass.com/index2.asp
http://www.nycwax.com/index.cfm/bay/content.home.htm
http://www.skyride.com/index2.cfm

Like Italian food?
Right in the heart of the Theatre District is Carmine's (I think it's 43rd and Broadway). Family style Italian food. This place is heaven. You can do it with 2 people but it's better with more so you can try more dishes and share. The food is excellent and the service is very good. Get the strawberry shortcake for dessert (or as we like to call it, the strawberry MOUNTAIN), it's an entire pound cake with a volcano of whipped cream on top and fresh sliced strawberries... oh man!!!!!!!
You realllllyyy need a reservation though, so the sooner the better.
Good Luck with your trip plans and Lion King tickets. I was fortunate enough to see the show in 2001, it's beautiful. You'll be crying in the first 10 minutes, it's just breathtaking!

Enjoy!

Flower:

Also keep in mind that if there is ANYTHING scheduled around Shea Stadium around the time of your departure, you should add another hour (at least) to your travel time.

Manhattan is wonderful. No other city compares to it in the world. If you have other questions, let us know.

:jester:

You should sign up at http://www.playbill.com/index.php
they will send you emails for 10-50% off of Broadway show tickets.

They have links to restaurants and lots of information.

For hotels: I always use http://www.quikbook.com/

If you want to bid on some restaurant coupons, then either go to http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=29396906&ssPageName=L2
and put New York in the search box.

I have bid on and used numerous certificates from this site.

And most of all, have a great time! I live on Long Island, but worked in the city for 8 years before having my children. Downtown is building up, do go and see it. Central Park is wonderful! The museums are to die for and there is so much shopping, you will go mad!

I LOVE NEW YORK... you will too!

Margaret

I can't believe all of the outstanding information you've all provided to make our anniversary memorable!!!!

Sadler: Thanks so much for volunteering to guide us neophytes through the intimidating byways of NYC. I'll probably be taking you up on your offer as our trip gets closer. It must be great to have an office in Times Square! I really appreciate the Theatermania link, I signed up for that and will hopefully be able to take full advantage of the discounts offered!

Karin037: I'll have to check out your links on the New York Pass- even though we'll only be there for a long weekend, DH needs plenty of diversions!!

Mousefanz: A friend of mine at work who used to have family in NYC told me about Carmines!! We're thinking of going, but we'd have to do a DIS meet to take advantage of the menu. Is anyone interested???????

DownNeckBoy: Thanks for the tip about Shea Stadium!! We plan on catching a 1:45 p.m. flight back home. Do you think that this would be a problem with Shea?

MCazer: Thanks to you, I've joined Playbill too!! Those discounts look really interesting, and if DH keeps going the way he is, we'll be going to NYC more often than we'd planned on!!

Keep those ideas and suggestions coming, and if we get enough response for a DIS meet at Carmine's..... who knows???????

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

This has nothing to do with restaurants or taxis or subways, but if your into wearing makeup, don't pass up the chance to visit Sephora. Its a makeup wearers dream. There's a few all over the city. 2 floors stuffed with makeup, skin care and perfume. Hard to find ones that are great. You go in, grab a shopping basket and shop and try on til your hearts content. IF you wear makeup it a "must do", that you won't regret. The sales people know everything about everything they sell, and if you buy it and don't like it, the next time you visit, just bring it back, with no questions asked. Every time I go to the city, Sephora is my first stop....

dg39: I checked out their website, and they have some really interesting things!!

I'll definitely have to check that out!!!

We just bought our plane tickets, and I've also got Broadway shows lined up for the 4th and the 5th. I've got two spots left to try to fit Lion King into. They still haven't released tickets for our time period yet. :(

Thanks everyone..... I'll be looking for more suggestions, and takers for a DIS meet!!

Flower:

If you are leaving 7-6, the Mets have a game @ 1:15pm. The 7th & 8th their games start @ 7:10 pm.

Good luck with your planning!

:jester:

DownNeckBoy:

We'll be leaving the afternoon of the 7th, so it looks like we'll have clear sailing!!

Thanks for checking for me.

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Hi Everyone-

I just wanted to share the news...... Ticketmaster just released tickets for The Lion King for the time period during our trip!!!

I JUST BOOKED OUR TICKETS!!!!!!!! WHOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!

First row Mezzanine, center seats!!!!!

We just bought our plane tix yesterday, now if we're one of the contest winners..... that would be the icing on the cake!!
AMEX is running a contest that says "If you buy tickets through TICKETMASTER between 1/15 and 3/15, you qualify to win the cost of your tickets".

Of course THAT I'm not counting on, but I just can't believe that WE'VE GOT TICKETS TO LION KING !!!!!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I just can't believe that WE'VE GOT TICKETS TO LION KING !!!!!

You will love it. I've seen it twice.

Once from Mezzanine, and once from 5 rows back. The elephant brushed my arm as it walked down the isle!

Way too Cool!!!!

Hi Margaret-

I was offered row H left, but DH (who's currently sitting in Atlanta's Hartsfield Airport) said "Are you SURE we're going to see everything?"
So when I resubmitted for the Mezzanine, I was offered 1st row, center. How could I refuse????

Thanks for the good thoughts... which seats did you like better?

Thanks for the good thoughts... which seats did you like better?

Well, we were left Mezzanine, second row, and I was 8 months pregnant. LOL

This last time we were row E or F left Orchestra and I liked those better.

In the beginning of the show, most of the cast will walk down the isles. Having isle seats, we were smack dab in the middle of it all.

Of course, being CENTER Mezz is great too, because you see everything from up high and straight on.

I hate when I see in the sides of stage. If the Orchestra seats were anything but isle seats, I definately think you got the better deal.

The theatre is not big. Oh, if you have small children with you, grab the booster cushions before you even get your seats, they go fast, and it was great for the kids, and they are really cushions, not hard plastic.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Margaret-

It helps a lot!!

We weren't offered seats on the aisle, and DH was probably thinking that he really didn't want to look 'backstage' while the show was on.
I liked the old Ticketmaster system..... you could designate which row and seats you wanted before you decided to buy. Not only that, at my last job I ran the Ticketmaster computer- so I know that it can be done.

I'm on Cloud 23 right now......... I passed Cloud 9 a while back....

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Our tickets to Lion King just arrived today..........

We're really going!!!!!!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Enjoy!! We're going to see the Lion King next month for our Anniversary (23 years). We're staying in Manhattan overnight and going to see Beauty and the Beast the following day. I can't wait!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter