New York City

jakeandkayleighsmama

Earning My Ears
My DH and I are heading to NYC for the weekend and have no idea of things to do. We are not "touristy" kind of people, more like foodies. Plan to see Ground Zero and maybe Ellis Island (I'm kind of a history geek). I want to know some good places to eat that the locals hit - none of the tourist traps..... I am also having sticker shock at the prices - being from Michigan $50 for an entree gives me a panic attack!! Anyone have some suggestions on good food at a reasonable price (even if it's NYC reasonable). We are staying right on 25th Street by 6th Ave. Also things to do while we enjoy a weekend without the kids. Thanks!!

My DH and I are heading to NYC for the weekend and have no idea of things to do. We are not "touristy" kind of people, more like foodies. Plan to see Ground Zero and maybe Ellis Island (I'm kind of a history geek). I want to know some good places to eat that the locals hit - none of the tourist traps..... I am also having sticker shock at the prices - being from Michigan $50 for an entree gives me a panic attack!! Anyone have some suggestions on good food at a reasonable price (even if it's NYC reasonable). We are staying right on 25th Street by 6th Ave. Also things to do while we enjoy a weekend without the kids. Thanks!!

hey there!! i see you're from Troy - I'm from bloomfield hills (howdy neighbor :goodvibes)
but i live overseas now - my family's still there though...

ok...to the subject at hand..

new york city - i only have one suggestion and it really is touristy....
the double decker, hop on hop off bus that goes around manhattan (there are two routes - upper manhattan and lower manhattan)..
it sounds totally touristy, and it is, but those buses give you such a good view of the city.....
and it's not bad in terms of transportation either.. (since it's hop on hop off)..

other than that - NYC is for walking....and that's one of the things i adore about it....so many things to see - it depends what you like....museums, architecture, central park, broadway, etc etc etc etc....

i LOVE new york!!!

OK, first of all, if you're foodies and you're staying in Chelsea, you NEED to go to Shake Shack, which is only a few blocks from where you're staying. They have THE most outrageous burgers in the city. If it's nice, expect LONG lines.

While you're down by Ground Zero, walk over to South Street Seaport. Lots of neat historical stuff, a nice shopping area, decent restaurants. Again, if it's nice, LOTS of New Yorkers will be out and about there.

If you've never been to Central Park, it's definitely worth the trip uptown. I happen to like Riverside Park better, because it runs the length of Manhattan along the Hudson River, which is beautiful.

Check out Chowhound for NYC restaurant suggestions... there are a MILLION really good places, especially in Chelsea/Union Square, which is close to your hotel.

Also, this is a pretty good list of what's happening in town THIS weekend. When you get here, go to a news stand and pick up a copy of Time Out New York. It has a lot of great info.

Hi,

NYC is a great city for eating! Don't worry too much about prices. Sure there is some pricey food, but I actually think that a lot of the best food around here is pretty cheap.

Not sure what you are looking for exactly, but a couple of things come to mind...

Check out Chelsea Marketplace (16th Street/9th Ave)...there are all kinds of gourmet specialty food stores: Eleni's Cookies, Fat Witch Brownies, Amy's Bread. You can sample just about everything, so you don't even need to spend any money (there is even a wine shop for some wine tasting). The Food Network studios are in the same building...if you're looking for a Paula Deen sighting, this is the place to do it! I also once saw Will Ferrell walking around in here wearing a wetsuit and scuba gear. I have no idea why. I assume he was filming something, but I'm not totally sure.

A restaurant called Cookshop is nearby as well (21st Street and 10th Ave, I think) -- focus is on fresh, seasonal foods. The same team owns a couple of other restaurants, too -- Five Points and Hundred Acre. Check out the menus online. I love Cookshop for brunch (though it can get crowded).

Also a great cheap meal -- walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (you could take the subway/cab, too) for pizza at Grimaldi's and ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. Sure you'll see tourists here, but plenty of locals too. Yum!

Cafe Habana (Spring Street) has AMAZING Cuban food. The grilled corn is to die for...SO decadent, covered with butter, cheese, a little bit of lime juice. There is a restaurant, which can have a long line, and a takeout counter that can be a little faster.

For a nice dinner out, I'd suggest Peasant (on Elizabeth Street) -- again, a fresh, seasonal menu and the restaurant has a great atmosphere. The entrees are $20-30, so not complete bank-breaker.

So many other options...great Indian food on Lexington in the 20s ("Curry Hill"), dim sum in Chinatown, tapas on the Lower East Side. Let me know if there is a particular cuisine you're looking for!

Also, a few ideas for activities...the Lower East Side Tenement Museum is a little hidden gem (especially if you like history), and if you don't have enough time to go to Ellis Island you can ride the Staten Island Ferry (for free) and get a great view of the Statue of Liberty. And definitely check out the High Line (fairly new elevated public park on the West Side) -- great place to bring a picnic lunch or dinner.

Have fun!

Some of my restaurant fav's:
Crispo, Inoteca, Dinosaur BBQ. All reasonable in price for food. Watch what you drink and you can keep prices down.

good eats don't need to be pricey, even in Manhattan. My three favorite places are really great, and they're not chasing you out the door either:

La Bergamote, 9th Ave and W20th St.:

Best French pastry shop outside of Paris. Great place for a little romantic lunch. Have the napoleon, you won't be sorry.

Just across W20th is the General Theological Seminary (Episcopal), on the former grounds of the Clement Moore (Twas the Night Before Christmas) estate. I like to stop in the Chapel of the Good Shepherd there. Beautiful, peaceful, and free.

Murray's Bagels, 8th Ave. & 23rd St.:

Great local bagel shop. Try the nova lox or the olive cream cheese spread.

Shake Shack, Madison Square Garden (the park, not the arena) 5th Ave. & 23rd St.:

Someone else suggested this place too. Get the Shackburger.

If you're thinking about taking a Broadway show in, make sure you hit the TKTS discount booth early in the morning ( http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56 ).

For a cheap lunch that's great, stop in at "Piece of Chicken" on 9th Ave. & W45th. Great Southern soul food at prices of $2 and $3...really...

BTW, Ellis Island is just a must-see. My last time there, I saw my great-grandmother's entry, and a picture of the ship she came over on. I can't tell you how powerful it was to stand in the same Great Hall she did.

Don't be afraid to be a tourist. Even those of us who live here are. Make sure you get an unlimited Metrocard (it pays off at 3 rides a day) for the bus and subway, or enjoy walking.

Most of all, enjoy!

If you happen to be downtown after doing ellis island/ground zero..

On Pearl Street there are a bunch of cute restaurants that are reasonaly priced that are not tourist traps. Ulysses, Mad Dog and Beans, to name a few. there are more I just cant reminder the name of them all... all the restaurants on this section of pearl street open up in the back onto stone street. This area is cobbled stone and they have seating outside for all the restaurants. its kinda of like a small restaurant row.. During the week it's a huge after work place for people who work on wall street but on the weekend is a nice quiet non toursity place to relax outside and get some good food reasonably price.

my favorite non tourisy place in the south street seaport is a place called nelson blue:
they serve good food and you can sit outside or even inside but all the doors are open so its has a nice feel to it:

http://www.nelsonblue.com/

the most non toursity thing you can do in nyc is go to a brunch where they have outdoor seating and shop...that is truly what most new yorkers do on the weekend...or that is at least what I like to do :rolleyes1

some great brunch places are:

jane
five points
lure fishbar

Two all-time inexpensive favorites of mine are Becco's (Italian) and Five Napkin Burger! Both places have websites with location and menus. You will not leave either place hungry, that's for sure! If you can, check out the TKTS booth in Times Square for great same day discount Broadway tickets! Have a great time, NYC is the best!

I really enjoyed the hop on/hop off busses. It was a great way to see the things you wanted.

Ellis island is amazing. My father (in his 70s) for some reason did not want to really go. It is with the statue of liberty which he did want to see. GO EARLY. The line for security is very long and much more stringent than the airports. Pay the extra for the audio tour for ellis island. Once my father got there and we started the tour he was not about to consider leaving it early. It is one of the best museum layouts I have seen. The audio of the voices of people who experienced the island really bring it to life.

I will also have to advocate for Disney on Broadway. We had planned to see Mary Poppins when I was there 2 yrs ago but were able to get last minute tickets for lion king as well. Both were awesome shows. There is half price ticket place off of times square and that can be a great deal as well.

Have a great time!!

I really enjoyed the hop on/hop off busses. It was a great way to see the things you wanted.

Ellis island is amazing. My father (in his 70s) for some reason did not want to really go. It is with the statue of liberty which he did want to see. GO EARLY. The line for security is very long and much more stringent than the airports. Pay the extra for the audio tour for ellis island. Once my father got there and we started the tour he was not about to consider leaving it early. It is one of the best museum layouts I have seen. The audio of the voices of people who experienced the island really bring it to life.

I will also have to advocate for Disney on Broadway. We had planned to see Mary Poppins when I was there 2 yrs ago but were able to get last minute tickets for lion king as well. Both were awesome shows. There is half price ticket place off of times square and that can be a great deal as well.

Have a great time!!

I enjoy the disney shows on broadway. But by far the most fun show I have been to in a long time is ROCK OF AGES!!! if you love 80s music its such an awesome time..check it out

Hi,

Also, a few ideas for activities...the Lower East Side Tenement Museum is a little hidden gem (especially if you like history), and if you don't have enough time to go to Ellis Island you can ride the Staten Island Ferry (for free) and get a great view of the Statue of Liberty. And definitely check out the High Line (fairly new elevated public park on the West Side) -- great place to bring a picnic lunch or dinner.

Have fun!

I totally agree with this suggestion if you like history.
http://www.tenement.org/

We love this and recommend that you buy tickets ahead of time though it might not be as big of a deal this time of year. We usually go to NYC in the summer.

Have a great trip.

Have to agree with Susanwashere! Go to Becco's, then walk up to 8th Ave. & get something...ANYTHING, from Amy's Bread.

BTW, don't be too disappointed, but there's not much to "see" @ Ground Zero...although they do have a small storefront type of place with 911 info, etc., the physical location is pretty much "covered" up.

Have a GREAT TIME!! I was just there this past weekend running the NYC 1/2 Marathon & me & my family had a blast!!

then walk up to 8th Ave. & get something...ANYTHING, from Amy's Bread.

especially the olive bagettes...

speaking of bakeries, Billy's on 9th Ave. and 21st. is a must stop too.

If you are going to the lower East side, stop in a knishery...any knishery.

Oh, and if you are anywhere near Union Square Park (Broadway & 14th St.), go to Max Brenner's Chocolate Restaurant ( www.maxbrenner.com ) just south of 14th. A little pricey...but the chocolate? wow...

A great free thing my husband and I enjoy is the Union Station Greenmarket on weekend mornings. There are lots of fun, creative booths to check out as well as foodstuffs to sample. Of course, it is only free if you can refrain from purchasing any of the cool stuff you see.

Here are a few places we like.

http://ellensstardust.com/
This is a diner where all the waitstaff sing. Lots of fun.

http://www.tonysnyc.com/locations/index.html
Good Italian right off of Broadway

http://www.lunellas.com/
Good Italian in Little Italy. Right on Mulberry St. which is loaded with places to eat.

Nancy princess:

I hate Ellens.... :scared1: We played "tourist" once. It was loud, food was awful and overpriced.....

I love Tony's! :thumbsup2 They have great homemade Sangria!

Go to Top of the Rock (Rock. Center). You have absolutly amazing views. The very top deck is outside. It's always windy, so have a jacket. You'll get awsome photo's!:thumbsup2

The backstage tour of Rockefeller Center is also fun.

I work right by Pearl Street and I agree that is a great place to grab some good meals. I like Ulysses, Zigolinis, Water Stone Grill.

If you happen to be downtown after doing ellis island/ground zero..

On Pearl Street there are a bunch of cute restaurants that are reasonaly priced that are not tourist traps. Ulysses, Mad Dog and Beans, to name a few. there are more I just cant reminder the name of them all... all the restaurants on this section of pearl street open up in the back onto stone street. This area is cobbled stone and they have seating outside for all the restaurants. its kinda of like a small restaurant row.. During the week it's a huge after work place for people who work on wall street but on the weekend is a nice quiet non toursity place to relax outside and get some good food reasonably price.

my favorite non tourisy place in the south street seaport is a place called nelson blue:
they serve good food and you can sit outside or even inside but all the doors are open so its has a nice feel to it:

http://www.nelsonblue.com/

the most non toursity thing you can do in nyc is go to a brunch where they have outdoor seating and shop...that is truly what most new yorkers do on the weekend...or that is at least what I like to do :rolleyes1

some great brunch places are:

jane
five points
lure fishbar

Thanks to all who have responded to this post - we are planning our first trip to New York in June and the suggestions have been great! :disrocks:

We are here in NYC now - eating our hearts out!! Had a hot dog from Grays Papaya yesterday - loved the spicy mustard! Ate Italian in Hell's Kitchen yesterday. Hopefully I can convince hubby to go eat in Little Italy tomorrow. Dim sum this morning if we can figure out the subway!! Thanks for the ideas - we will check out as many as we can!! Saw St. Patricks yesterday as we were just walking by and couldn't not stop....how beautiful!!

We are here in NYC now - eating our hearts out!! Had a hot dog from Grays Papaya yesterday - loved the spicy mustard! Ate Italian in Hell's Kitchen yesterday. Hopefully I can convince hubby to go eat in Little Italy tomorrow. Dim sum this morning if we can figure out the subway!! Thanks for the ideas - we will check out as many as we can!! Saw St. Patricks yesterday as we were just walking by and couldn't not stop....how beautiful!!

The subway isn't that hard... and honestly, New Yorkers LOVE to help tourists find their way. Just ask if you get lost. Probably five or six people will jump in immediately to tell you the best, fastest, most wonderful way to get somewhere. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter