New Year's Eve at Disneyland

kate2961

In Happily Ever After
We'll be spending the day/evening in the park. We hope to get into DL but DCA would also be great.

What time do we need to get to DL by? Any other tips for the day?

I'm thinking we will need to book some dining for dinner such as Cafe Orleans.

All help much appreciated.

With deepest thanks,
Kate (a huge DL fan that rarely gets a chance to visit)

If you want to stay until midnight and watch the fireworks, you will have to pick. Disneyland is the larger celebration, but DCA does have the alcoholic drinks available, and sets up a dance area.

Since NYE tends to become a "Sell Out", there are some issues. The first is wanting a locker INSIDE the park you plan to spend Midnight at, and they go QUICKLY, like within the first hour of opening.

The way Disney handles Sell Out crowds start with stopping ticket sales, then finally not allowing anyone new into the park, only allowing re-entry. The problem here is that the Fire Marshall can come in and not allow ANYONE to enter the park until enough people leave.

So one trick, leave after a few hours in the morning, making sure you get a hand stamp, and then plan to re-enter after a parade ends (getting in line prior to the expected end. Usually enough people leave. But you need to be in the park you want by early evening, and plan to not exit until after the celebration.

Good luck, it is the businest day of the year based on history.

Rule of thumb used to be pick and park and stay there. If you leave you may not get back in.

Gate closures at Disneyland have happened past years between 2p-4p. If you wanna go to DL, I would plan on being in DL by 1pm and not leaving. We do DCA every year and there has been yet to be capacity closures.

Dining reservations are a MUST.

Gate closures at Disneyland have happened past years between 2p-4p.
That's why i said used to be. The past couple years seem to have been pretty mild. Not sure if this is just less people coming to the resort or if the crowds are more evenly spread between the two parks.

Gate closures at Disneyland have happened past years between 2p-4p. If you wanna go to DL, I would plan on being in DL by 1pm and not leaving. We do DCA every year and there has been yet to be capacity closures.

Dining reservations are a MUST.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

ParkHopper1, can you tell me why you do DCA instead of DL for NYE?

Yup...different vibe at DCA.

Check out youtube...the DL midnight show is more traditional Disney inspirational where the DCA show is more contemporary upbeat rockin music. DCA also does the midnight countdown celebration then a full WOC show which makes it a two for one deal. I feel like I have seen all the DL NYE visual effects before throughout the year where DCA is fireworks on Paradise Bay and from behind Screamin incorporated with the WOC fountains and different water screen projections. DCA show just always feels more "fun".

DL is wall to wall people with the craziest lines for rides that you have ever seen by mid day. It is even hard to move around at times and EVERYONE is jockeying for a position with a view of the Castle for midnight. DCA you can get fast passes for the midnight countdown and WOC just like any other WOC show so you do not have to camp out all day for a decent spot. The past two years DCA hasn't been any more crowded and wait times weren't longer than a typical busy weekend where DL lines are ridiculous.

We typically do DL in the AM then pop over to DCA for the afternoon/evening, head back to the hotel to freshen up and change and back to DCA for the night after a dining reservation on property for dinner without worries about re-entry.

Almost every year we say we should head back over to DL one year for NYE...then last year we popped into DL at about 10:30pm (gates had reopened) just to check out the madness then quickly decided against doing that! Both parks have a lot of added stages and entertainment offerings throughout the day, but DCA seems to have a bit more added options for NYE day and evening.

We just have had a great time at DCA and then see and hear about the craziness just on the other side of the Esplanade! We are planning on heading to DCA again this year for midnight.

...all that and you can ring in the New Year with a glass of champaign which they serve everywhere!

Last edited:

My husband and I spent NYE at Disneyland and DCA last year. We originally planned to be in Disneyland until midnight, so we showed up at park open and got a locker to store our jackets for later at night. We spent most of the morning doing ride attractions while lines were shorter. Then at lunch time we had a relaxing lunch at Cafe Orleans (with pre made reservations) and then the rest of the afternoon and early evening we did shows like Mickey and the Magical map and Lincoln, and a view of the Christmas parade. Things that we wouldn't have to stand in long lines for or fight crowds to experience. It was really crowded and it was nice to take it easy and the afternoon and relax. We were told the park never reaqched capacity or closed and we were suprised since it seemed so crowded.

At dinner we had reservations at Carnation Cafe, and we saw at least 5 groups of people try to get in but there was no availability. They were not happy about being turned away. . Some time during the day we found out that Disneyland was doing a midnight celebration at 9pm to celebrate the new year with WDW. So we thought perhaps we would do this and then be able to see the DCA midnight fireworks. After dinner it was about 8 pm and people were starting to get spots in the middle of Main STreet for the early celebration so we joined them. Perhaps the early fireworks/NYW celebration isn't a ts spectacular as the actual midnight one, I don't know. But seeing that early celebration at DL was a great decisions. After that early celebration we went over to DCA and it was so nice.

There weren't very many people and we enjoyed the swing band by the Carthay, and were even able to ride Tower of Terror with no wait. A lady we talked to at DL gave us fast passes for the midnight show of World of Color so we waltzed in at the last minute for that and even that wasn't as full as we thought it would be. The midnight celebration at DCA was really awesome I t was so cool seeing both of the parks midnight celebrations even if DL's was early. Once the midnight World of Color got done we went back over to DL to clean out our locker and had no problems getting back in and there was still a festive atmosphere . '

So I guess in short my advice would be:
1. go early and get attractions you really want to do done, grab fast pass for later to some
2. plan to relax in the afternoon and evening in the park
3. get a locker
4. make reservations for dinner and lunch if you are spending the whole day in the park (not worth fighting crowds for tables when one can be reserved for you.)
5. If Disneyland has an early celebration do that then go to DCA.
6. Pack your patience

I was told that NYE would be a nightmare in the parks, but we had a blast. It was one of our best Disney days ever.

Keep checking the local weather forecasts for Anaheim. Last year wasn't bad at all. Previous years were so cold we had to keep dancing to feel our toes! One year the fog rolled in. DH kept checking the weather sites and said that we should leave because there wouldn't be any fireworks. He was right. It was so thick we couldn't even see the hotel parking lot from our balcony! Every year is different, so be prepared!

We've been at the park twice in the past 10 years on NYE when the fog has rolled in. I believe both nights they did do fireworks. I know for a fact they did them at least one of the two. We happened to be sitting with Donny Osmond and you couldn't see the fireworks, but they did change the color of the fog. It was fun to watch.

But yes, watch the weather. If it rains, the park will clear out.

My husband and I spent NYE at Disneyland and DCA last year. We originally planned to be in Disneyland until midnight, so we showed up at park open and got a locker to store our jackets for later at night. We spent most of the morning doing ride attractions while lines were shorter. Then at lunch time we had a relaxing lunch at Cafe Orleans (with pre made reservations) and then the rest of the afternoon and early evening we did shows like Mickey and the Magical map and Lincoln, and a view of the Christmas parade. Things that we wouldn't have to stand in long lines for or fight crowds to experience. It was really crowded and it was nice to take it easy and the afternoon and relax. We were told the park never reaqched capacity or closed and we were suprised since it seemed so crowded.

At dinner we had reservations at Carnation Cafe, and we saw at least 5 groups of people try to get in but there was no availability. They were not happy about being turned away. . Some time during the day we found out that Disneyland was doing a midnight celebration at 9pm to celebrate the new year with WDW. So we thought perhaps we would do this and then be able to see the DCA midnight fireworks. After dinner it was about 8 pm and people were starting to get spots in the middle of Main STreet for the early celebration so we joined them. Perhaps the early fireworks/NYW celebration isn't a ts spectacular as the actual midnight one, I don't know. But seeing that early celebration at DL was a great decisions. After that early celebration we went over to DCA and it was so nice.

There weren't very many people and we enjoyed the swing band by the Carthay, and were even able to ride Tower of Terror with no wait. A lady we talked to at DL gave us fast passes for the midnight show of World of Color so we waltzed in at the last minute for that and even that wasn't as full as we thought it would be. The midnight celebration at DCA was really awesome I t was so cool seeing both of the parks midnight celebrations even if DL's was early. Once the midnight World of Color got done we went back over to DL to clean out our locker and had no problems getting back in and there was still a festive atmosphere . '

So I guess in short my advice would be:
1. go early and get attractions you really want to do done, grab fast pass for later to some
2. plan to relax in the afternoon and evening in the park
3. get a locker
4. make reservations for dinner and lunch if you are spending the whole day in the park (not worth fighting crowds for tables when one can be reserved for you.)
5. If Disneyland has an early celebration do that then go to DCA.
6. Pack your patience

I was told that NYE would be a nightmare in the parks, but we had a blast. It was one of our best Disney days ever.

Great tips!

Thank you!!

Hopefully they will have a New Year's celebration at 9pm this year!

We've been at the park twice in the past 10 years on NYE when the fog has rolled in. I believe both nights they did do fireworks. I know for a fact they did them at least one of the two. We happened to be sitting with Donny Osmond and you couldn't see the fireworks, but they did change the color of the fog. It was fun to watch.

But yes, watch the weather. If it rains, the park will clear out.

I remember one year when we stuck it out with the kids. It was so foggy and cold, but everyone around us was in the holiday mood, so it wasn't too bad waiting. Then the show started, the fog was dimly changing colors, and a few minutes into the show, everything ended. :( CMs said that the fog was too dense and all the smoke was just making things worse. How fun to be sitting with Donny Osmond! Last year we watched from BVS, and it was really pretty.

Hopefully they will have a New Year's celebration at 9pm this year!

Based on the last few years, I doubt that ABC/Disney and Dick Clark Productions will pay for the live feed.

They are happy with New York, and can use the WDW celebration as a live feed just as easily.

Would be nice, but I just don't see it happening this year, nothing big to promote, and for what,a couple of minutes of air time.

Better to keep the area needed open for park guests to relieve congestion in general, also saves on the budget.....

Based on the last few years, I doubt that ABC/Disney and Dick Clark Productions will pay for the live feed.

They are happy with New York, and can use the WDW celebration as a live feed just as easily.

Would be nice, but I just don't see it happening this year, nothing big to promote, and for what,a couple of minutes of air time.

Better to keep the area needed open for park guests to relieve congestion in general, also saves on the budget.....

bummer!

Well, I guess Id better plan to just stay in the park until midnight then

Amazing advice. From your experiences I can see great reasons to go to both parks. I'm still not sure which park(s) we'll do. I guess that depends on crowds and weather. I hadn't even thought about fog. That's not a problem in WDW. Whatever happens it'll just be great to be at DL/DCA on New Year's Eve. I am so excited.

Last edited:
I went solo last NYE and it was a good time.

I had always heard about the crowds, but didn't believe it. In the early evening (6PM?) it took me six minutes to cross from one side of Main Street to the other. By myself. I couldn't imagine trying to coordinate with a family.

Dining reservations are a must, or you're going to spend a ton of time waiting in line just to eat, and good luck finding a table after you get food. What I did last year isn't possible, because RoA is closed, but what I did is below:

Entered DCA at around 9AM to grab a midnight WOC FP then cross to Disneyland. Rode a few rides and then went to:
Carnation Cafe: 10:20AM
Rode rides in DL, saw Mickey and the Magical Map. Rode the train, etc.
River Belle Terrace Fantasmic! Dining: 3:00 PM
Rode rides, saw Christmas Parade.

With the meal, I got a great FP for what would be the last time I saw Fantasmic! before closing. I don't even remember if I ate again after 3PM - the meal was very filling! I think they had three F! shows on NYE last year, and I don't remember which one I saw. I do remember seeing the 9PM fireworks, but don't know if they were before or after my F! showing. After that, I left to DCA and got a spot for the midnight WOC. Had a great spot on the middle rails, and loved the show. It wasn't insanely crowded like Disneyland was, and I enjoyed the show more than the 9PM fireworks at Disneyland.

If I did it again, I'd be in DCA at midnight no question. The experience was better. The crowds were more relaxed.

Does anyone know if there will be any WOC extra Dessert Parties closer to midnight?

Doubt it. They will do regular dining packages and offerings for the regular shows but they typically do not offer them for the Midnight show...as of last year anyway.

We tried to do the Dessert Seating for Fantastic NYE Midnight show and they were not offing it for that performance.

Do you think there is enough to do with two older teens in DCA for a whole day? We are thinking of just staying there for NYE and hitting DL on NYD. I am just worried that there won't be as much for them to do, although one of them is a huge Frozen fan!

Doubt it. They will do regular dining packages and offerings for the regular shows but they typically do not offer them for the Midnight show...as of last year anyway.

We tried to do the Dessert Seating for Fantastic NYE Midnight show and they were not offing it for that performance.
They did it most years (as we usually booked it) but it wasn't the easiest to book as the booking group didn't always know about it. One year (I think 2012) we had a large party and arranged to book out an entire section.

I would call and double check about the WOC dessert.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter