New years eve 2011

crista

Earning My Ears
Hi guys I need some help. I am looking into visiting Disney world over new years. I will be traveling with my husband. The dates I am thinking are December 30- January 4. We will be staying at either beach club or boardwalk. I am interested in any and all advice or info. I am wondering about new years eve parties and whether holiday decor will still be up? Thanks for all the time you take to both post and read and happy planning to everyone.:)

We had our first trip last year from Dec 23rd to Jan 7th. Split stay between Poly and AKL. Decorations were still up when we left so you should be fine. We did NYE in HS as it was recommended as smaller crowds and with DD(8) and DS(6) we thought it would be better for them. We had an absolute blast, dancing away to a pretty good live band (can't remember their name now) and kids really enjoyed themselves. They had a fireworks display but it was a bit diasppointing and nowhere near the size/duration of either Wishes or Illuminations. (hint: if you're not going to MK on the day, they do a rehersal on the 30th and we watched from the beach at the POLY, might set you up nicely on arrival day if you get there in time, sorry can't remember the time it was at, think it was around midnight but not sure). If it was just DW & I, would probably do Epcot (don't think I'd do MK as the crowds would be really mad). Generally although the parks were busy over the time we were there, we managed to do everything and lots of rides without any big waits. At lot of this I can put down to planning and following TourGuideMikes advice on least busy parks (hope it's ok to recommend him here).

As an aside we've just booked the BC for next April, so if you do go there, would love to hear what you think about it.

Have a great time

Holidays at Disney are amazing. You will love it as long as you steer clear of Magic Kindgom on actual NYE night. Trust me. Don't do it. :thumbsup2

Hi! I am actually going to be at WDW Dec. 30th to Jan. 5th! I have a lot of the same questions you do! I posted to DISboards, but a lot of the replies were disheartening, saying how crowded it was, etc! However! Since you are going to be there for 6 days! Whatever park you will be in for NYE (if you choose to do a park) I figure you can do again on another day (hopefully less crowded)! I am not too worried about the rides and lines, just being in MK for NYE is my big excitement! I have heard all of the Decorations are still up! The Osbourne Family Lights are up until the 2nd or the 3rd? I believe. So you should be able to do those! I dont know what time you are arriving on the 30th, but I know I am going to head straight to EPCOT! The 30th is the last night of the Candlelight Processional! I have been there many times in Dec. for the Processional and I LOVE it! I also believe that you dont have to get the Dinner Package, there are usually seats and you can even stand at the American Pavilion to see the show! So you dont have to spend the extra $$! Have an amazing trip!

We will be arriving on the 31st and staying until Jan. 7th. My thoughts were to go to MK and see the fireworks there. No way we will make it until midnight. We fly out of Portland at 6:55 AM...with a 6 year old...BUT, if we get to see fireworks (please tell me that they are at a reg. time), I am sure we will all go to bed happy and ready to hit a park at rope drop. I figure we will arrive at the resort around 3ish....still time to do a ride or two, eat supper and begin a wonderful vacation.

We spent New Year's 2007-2008 at the World. We had so much fun. Went to Animal Kingdom during the day as we figured it would be slowest. We had a late-ish dinner at Boma and then went back to POR. We ended up in bed before midnight so we could hit Epcot bright and early on New Year's Day. Orlando had record cold temps at that time which SHOCKED us. We wore layers and layers and still froze our butts off, but we had SO much fun. Great memories!

We will be arriving on the 31st and staying until Jan. 7th. My thoughts were to go to MK and see the fireworks there. No way we will make it until midnight. We fly out of Portland at 6:55 AM...with a 6 year old...BUT, if we get to see fireworks (please tell me that they are at a reg. time), I am sure we will all go to bed happy and ready to hit a park at rope drop. I figure we will arrive at the resort around 3ish....still time to do a ride or two, eat supper and begin a wonderful vacation.

From what I have read, they are at their regular 8:00 or 8:30 time and again at 11:50! So hopefully your little one makes it to the 8:00 showing! I am looking forward to a double dose of fireworks on NYE! :)

I would also check in online, so you dont have to wait in a long check-in line! I heard the parks close around 10am!

We were at MK for last NYE. Me, DW, and DD4. IMO the crowd wasn't too bad throughout the day. (DW is a teacher and we end up going at all the peak times, in our experience there was a day at AK during the week before Easter that you could not move at all, this wasn't that bad) Anyway, the crowd increased as the day went on and following the first showing of the MSEP at 7:00pm, it was finally packed as we made the "mistake" of going back to Main Street.

People had staked out their spots for the night and weren't moving. CMs were everywhere directing us to move, but not to anywhere in particular. If you didn't have a spot staked out, you had to keep moving, and they basically direct you around in circles. It was frustrating. We finally stopped listening to the CMs, and we literally went back against traffic and broke out of that traffic jam and escaped into Adventureland.

We walked all the way around to Fantasyland, where it was MUCH less crowded. We spent time on rides in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland and we were back in Fantasyland, right between the carousel and dumbo for the fireworks at midnight.

The fantasy in the sky fireworks started at 11:50, and ended just before midnight. Then mickey and the gang come on and count down to midnight. The 10 second countdown had fireworks to go with it, and then the sky exploded all around us. It was cool!

We could have never staked out a spot and waited 4 hours in front of the castle or on Main Street like so many people were doing, not with a 4 year old.

Since it is just the two of you, that will make it easier for you to navigate the crowds. My advice would be not to bother staking out a spot for the fireworks, you can see them from anywhere in the park. Just make sure you pick an open spot, so you are not under a tree or right next to a building, so you can see the sky all around you.

Following the fireworks, we headed back toward Main Street by going around the castle through tomorrowland. At Cosmic Rays they were giving out free hot chocolate and cookies! We thought that was a nice touch. Back on Main Street, we got to enjoy the christmas decorations and lights on our way out. It was even snowing!!

I still have my copy of the parade and fireworks schedule from that week.

Here is the MK rundown from this past year. Dec 31, 2010.

Mickey's Once Upon a Time Christmas Parade: 12:00pm and 3:30pm
Main Street Electrical Parade: 7:00pm and 10:30pm
Holiday Wishes: 8:30pm
Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks: 11:50pm

Hi! I am actually going to be at WDW Dec. 30th to Jan. 5th! I have a lot of the same questions you do! I posted to DISboards, but a lot of the replies were disheartening, saying how crowded it was, etc! However! Since you are going to be there for 6 days! Whatever park you will be in for NYE (if you choose to do a park) I figure you can do again on another day (hopefully less crowded)! I am not too worried about the rides and lines, just being in MK for NYE is my big excitement! I have heard all of the Decorations are still up! The Osbourne Family Lights are up until the 2nd or the 3rd? I believe. So you should be able to do those! I dont know what time you are arriving on the 30th, but I know I am going to head straight to EPCOT! The 30th is the last night of the Candlelight Processional! I have been there many times in Dec. for the Processional and I LOVE it! I also believe that you dont have to get the Dinner Package, there are usually seats and you can even stand at the American Pavilion to see the show! So you dont have to spend the extra $$! Have an amazing trip!

We saw the Osborne Lights on Jan 1st, so I know they are up until then!! We missed the processional though at Epcot. We were booked to see it on the 27th, but the holiday blizzard did a number on our travel plans. We didn't get to Disney until the 29th.

We were at MK for last NYE. Me, DW, and DD4. IMO the crowd wasn't too bad throughout the day. (DW is a teacher and we end up going at all the peak times, in our experience there was a day at AK during the week before Easter that you could not move at all, this wasn't that bad) Anyway, the crowd increased as the day went on and following the first showing of the MSEP at 7:00pm, it was finally packed as we made the "mistake" of going back to Main Street.

People had staked out their spots for the night and weren't moving. CMs were everywhere directing us to move, but not to anywhere in particular. If you didn't have a spot staked out, you had to keep moving, and they basically direct you around in circles. It was frustrating. We finally stopped listening to the CMs, and we literally went back against traffic and broke out of that traffic jam and escaped into Adventureland.

We walked all the way around to Fantasyland, where it was MUCH less crowded. We spent time on rides in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland and we were back in Fantasyland, right between the carousel and dumbo for the fireworks at midnight.

The fantasy in the sky fireworks started at 11:50, and ended just before midnight. Then mickey and the gang come on and count down to midnight. The 10 second countdown had fireworks to go with it, and then the sky exploded all around us. It was cool!

We could have never staked out a spot and waited 4 hours in front of the castle or on Main Street like so many people were doing, not with a 4 year old.

Since it is just the two of you, that will make it easier for you to navigate the crowds. My advice would be not to bother staking out a spot for the fireworks, you can see them from anywhere in the park. Just make sure you pick an open spot, so you are not under a tree or right next to a building, so you can see the sky all around you.

Following the fireworks, we headed back toward Main Street by going around the castle through tomorrowland. At Cosmic Rays they were giving out free hot chocolate and cookies! We thought that was a nice touch. Back on Main Street, we got to enjoy the christmas decorations and lights on our way out. It was even snowing!!

Your post just literally made me SMILE! :yay: thank you for being a POSITIVE voice for going to MK on NYE! It sounds like you had a great time! I am going to listen to your advice about not staking out a spot! Even if you want a spot on Main Street, just for regular Wishes, the street floods and everyone stands still in the middle, so I am not too worried! But between Dumbo and the Carousel seems like a great spot too!

Thank you again for that post! :)

That time of year is our favorite! January 1 thru the 4 will be alot slower and very short wait times on the rides!! NYE is a totally different story we have done MK and Epcot several times. The best advice I can give you is get there early because the parks will close early at least by 12:00 so no park hopping on that day. MK is a complete zoo but enjoy it! Its a once in a lifetime experience that you can say you have braved;0). Also you will want to make dining reservations if you have not because you WILL NOT get a seat at a sit down or at counter service for that matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter