• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Work at Home Business

grlpwrd said:
Well, even if the gift basket person doesn't have a link to her site, both people have pictures in their signatures of their products. To me that is still advertising.
I think you need to draw the line somewhere between direct advertising and indirect advertising. Talking about what we do for a living is not the same as advertising our businesses. For example, I've said many times that I'm a family doctor and I've posted where I live and practice. Would that be considered advertising for my medical practice? I've never thought of it as such, but I guess it does indirectly promote my practice. But that is much different than actually posting the name, address and phone number of my office.

grlpwrd said:
Well, even if the gift basket person doesn't have a link to her site, both people have pictures in their signatures of their products. To me that is still advertising.

I think that is just getting too picky.

:rolleyes:

we have to draw the line between a good faith effort to draw business and simply being proud of what we do.

Some on here have done photography for hire--are we now going to prevent them from posting pictures as well?

All the other jobs are just that. Non-incentive referrals. I got one from who posted her.

I dont know what the original link was...but if the poster in anyway personally benefitted--that is why it was personally removed.

If they simply said--Hey I found this great opportunity..you should go check it out at their main website.

Big whoopty do!

disneysteve said:
I think you need to draw the line somewhere between direct advertising and indirect advertising. Talking about what we do for a living is not the same as advertising our businesses. For example, I've said many times that I'm a family doctor and I've posted where I live and practice. Would that be considered advertising for my medical practice? I've never thought of it as such, but I guess it does indirectly promote my practice. But that is much different than actually posting the name, address and phone number of my office.
I'm the original poster. I was just offering an opportunity to make some money for Disney. I am a travel agent by profession but I don't post that on the boards or answer a lot of questions or give out my business info either.

I wanted to ask a clarifying question about the original poster's post.

If she/he posts a link to an Online Business that others could use to make extra money, but does NOT make money herself/hisself by posting that link then wouldn't that NOT go against the policy as she/he is not advertising their business per se but giving free info on how to use this online business to make money for yourselves. Seems like this would be EXACTLY what the other posts accomplish (ex. Make $70 for 5 hours work post)

rgdwar1 said:
I wanted to ask a clarifying question about the original poster's post.

If she/he posts a link to an Online Business that others could use to make extra money, but does NOT make money herself/hisself by posting that link then wouldn't that NOT go against the policy as she/he is not advertising their business per se but giving free info on how to use this online business to make money for yourselves. Seems like this would be EXACTLY what the other posts accomplish (ex. Make $70 for 5 hours work post)
Yes, posting a link to a business that you have no financial interest in is fine.

disneysteve said:
Yes, posting a link to a business that you have no financial interest in is fine.

ok, so the reason this discussion (controversy) started was the fact the OP used herself in this post rather than keeping it abstract such as:

"I found a legitimate home based business that requires no start-up fees...Click Here for more information."

and as long as there is no referral code it would be ok right?

The *link* that the OP posted was a direct link to "their" site . I did click on it
before it was removed and yes it was a direct link to his/her business. NOt a link
where we could make some money. It was link where she makes all the money.
I'm not sure about the "idea" part they keep refering to because it was a link
where you click on things to buy directly from this person. I didn't see any "ideas'
for me to make any money :confused3

JuneChickie said:
The *link* that the OP posted was a direct link to "their" site . I did click on it
before it was removed and yes it was a direct link to his/her business. NOt a link
where we could make some money. It was link where she makes all the money.
I'm not sure about the "idea" part they keep refering to because it was a link
where you click on things to buy directly from this person. I didn't see any "ideas'
for me to make any money :confused3

ok So this was a referral site. This I did not know. Thank you for that clarification. I was under the impression it was a link for a home based business not a referral business for the original poster.

It was a link for a home based business ,,,, the op's home ,, you buy their stuff
and they make the money ,,,,, She said it was a home based business ,

But again ,, I didn't see anywhere or how I was going to make any money
buying stuff from the op.

I didn't see any "ideas" anywhere either

disneysteve said:

Talking about what you do for a living or having others rave about your product is one thing, but having a picture of your product in your signature is marketing.

It is a big deal and I don't think I'm being picky because as members we should all be held to the same standard(s).

BeachBaby310 said:
I was just trying to let other Disers know about an opportunity to save up money for Disney. There are threads on this board about make $70 in 5 hours, customer service agents from home, silver jewelry business, home based disney travel agent. I don't know anything about the gift basket lady. I truly was just trying to help. :confused3

So what is the the opportunity for the rest of us Disers? I would like to make some extra Disney money also.....or am I misunderstanding the original post (I've only seen the edited version). Thanks.

SalandJeff said:
So what is the the opportunity for the rest of us Disers? I would like to make some extra Disney money also.....or am I misunderstanding the original post (I've only seen the edited version). Thanks.

From reading the post, I believe she was selling something and profiting from those items herself. It's probably like Pampered Chef or Avon where you can sign up to be a consultant, she makes money for signing you up, and then try to make your own money.

It is a company like Pampered Chef or Avon. It's just that there was not a link to the parent company's site, just the OPs.

How you can make money is by starting your own business like it. You could sign up under the OP, and then she would make money too, or you could just look up the company and go directly through them. But you probably have to buy a kit, and like any home-based business, you have to work it!

It looked like they had nice products, like stuffed animal purses and stuff your own bear kits.

You could put a link to the main company page and say you've started working for them as a consultant and ask if anyone has any questions. :)

grlpwrd said:
Talking about what you do for a living or having others rave about your product is one thing, but having a picture of your product in your signature is marketing.

It is a big deal and I don't think I'm being picky because as members we should all be held to the same standard(s).

You are right, grlpwrd. But with over 100 moderators and a handful of WMs, it is sometimes hard for everyone to be on EXACTLY the same page. ::yes:: Just like the degrees of differences that you see in the interpretations among the posters to this thread, those differences exist among the 100 or so of us. It is ultimately up to the WMs to make the final call.

If you feel strongly about the examples that you have given us, I would email admin@wdwinfo.com . That is the best advice that I can give you.

Just wanted to mention an idea I had when reading thru these posts . . .

for anyone who wants to promote their business or website, why not consider PAYING to advertise on the disboards? I think it would be great to support the site. I dont know how much it could cost but I bet it would pay for itself.

BethR said:
You are right, grlpwrd. But with over 100 moderators and a handful of WMs, it is sometimes hard for everyone to be on EXACTLY the same page. ::yes:: Just like the degrees of differences that you see in the interpretations among the posters to this thread, those differences exist among the 100 or so of us. It is ultimately up to the WMs to make the final call.

If you feel strongly about the examples that you have given us, I would email admin@wdwinfo.com . That is the best advice that I can give you.

I actually don't mind it, but I do mind when others aren't treated fairly and equally.

It doesn't really warrant complaint from me, just equal consideration for all. ;)

Disneyrsh said:
Great! Can somebody post a link to my ebay auctions for me then? Thanks so much.
Actually, this is one of the accepted exceptions to the policy. You are allowed to post your ebay user ID in your sig. You can't actually link to your auctions or advertise specific items, but if we know your ID, we can easily search for your auctions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter