• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New USA travel announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...masks-quarantine-for-travelers-in-covid-fight
The Biden administration is vowing tough enforcement of new safety measures it is imposing on travelers to curb the spread of the coronavirus even as some say elements of the plan will be difficult to police.

In an executive order he will issue Thursday, his second day in office, President Joe Biden will require masks be worn in airports, planes, intercity buses and other forms of transportation. The president is also ordering people who arrive in the U.S. from other countries to self-quarantine, which had previously been unenforced guidance.

“We are prepared to make sure we use all relevant authorities to enforce the president’s executive order to ensure across every mode of transportation workers, passengers, commuters are protected,” Pete Buttigieg, the nominee to become secretary of transportation, told lawmakers Thursday during a hearing on his confirmation.

Biden will also codify an action by former President Donald Trump on Jan. 12 to require a negative Covid-19 test before flying to the U.S. from other nations, according to a Biden administration fact sheet. The order will be coupled with one requiring masks on federal properties that was signed by Biden on Wednesday.

We have to see if their will be exemptions and how they will enforce quarantine. The governmental agencies have 14 days to come up with policy. I don't see DeSantis doing anything to help the feds on this.

We have to see if their will be exemptions and how they will enforce quarantine. The governmental agencies have 14 days to come up with policy. I don't see DeSantis doing anything to help the feds on this.

Just because where you are going doesn’t actively work to enforce quarantine doesn’t mean you should ignore it. Also Disney will likely have questions if you are from another county and try and check into their resorts. I know it affected people from certain states earlier when they had quarantines affecting certain states.

Also do you really think US customs is going to let you in for a one week trip when you have to quarantine for 2 weeks?

This is why I wouldn't even try and book a trip right now. Everything changes so suddenly. Not worth the stress, even if I did want to ignore the no non essential travel recommendation.

Yeah we are booking stuff for the fall but everything can be canceled. I do think travel restrictions will change once more and more people in both countries get vaccinated. But who knows.

Quarantine once arriving into the USA

Anyone else think that it could be months, if not a year or more before this changes?? I honestly can't imagine trying to plan a trip outside of Canada right now. Even with this news aside, I have heard way too many stories of families getting stuck abroad and almost going bankrupt because they couldn't get a Covid test before boarding a plane to return. No negative covid tests = no getting on the airplane. Sounds more like a nightmare to me. I think it's time to start imagining a vacation within our own country and give up on this dream of Disney for the foreseeable future :crazy2: (breaks my heart).

Anyone else think that it could be months, if not a year or more before this changes?? I honestly can't imagine trying to plan a trip outside of Canada right now. Even with this news aside, I have heard way too many stories of families getting stuck abroad and almost going bankrupt because they couldn't get a Covid test before boarding a plane to return. No negative cover tests = no getting on the airplane. Sounds more like a nightmare to me. I think it's time to start imagining a vacation within our own country and give up on this dream of Disney for the foreseeable future :crazy2: (breaks my heart).

This will likely be the policy until the general population is vaccinated. In Canada, we're hoping for that to be around September. So, definitely a few months at the very least.

Anyone else think that it could be months, if not a year or more before this changes?? I honestly can't imagine trying to plan a trip outside of Canada right now. Even with this news aside, I have heard way too many stories of families getting stuck abroad and almost going bankrupt because they couldn't get a Covid test before boarding a plane to return. No negative covid tests = no getting on the airplane. Sounds more like a nightmare to me. I think it's time to start imagining a vacation within our own country and give up on this dream of Disney for the foreseeable future :crazy2: (breaks my heart).

I’m hoping it’s not that long. I think once there is widespread vaccination it will be different. I’m really hoping for October. This is to replace my March break 2020 trip. But we won’t go unless we are vaccinated and things like the testing requirement change.

This will likely be the policy until the general population is vaccinated. In Canada, we're hoping for that to be around September. So, definitely a few months at the very least.

I think it'll be way longer than that. There is still a very big question that needs to be answered about all of the vaccines: do they actually prevent transmission of Covid 19? Until that question is answered (which I understand they are racing to find out), I can't see anything changing. An article in the NY Times published 3 days ago has said that scientists are cautioning those vaccinated that they will still have to wear a mask. I know there is a ton of hope that everything will just go back to normal once everyone has a shot, but I just can't see that being the case. But I've kind of learned in this season of Covid to assume the worst then be pleasantly surprised if I am wrong, lol.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html

Last edited:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...-safety-in-domestic-and-international-travel/
"...the feasibility of implementing alternative and sufficiently protective public health measures, such as testing, self-quarantine, and self-isolation on arrival, for travelers entering the United States from countries where COVID-19 tests are inaccessible."

Directly from the White House site.

So it would seem that Canadians arriving in the U.S. with a valid negative Covid test result administered 72 hours or less prior to arrival in the U.S. from Canada will NOT be subject to self-isolation/quarantine?

I was able to push my trip to end of March. So an entire year almost from the original April 2020. If we miss this we'll lose everything. We MIGHT be able to transfer our points to RCI? Not sure yet. But if this is true, seemingly as it's direct from the White House, that no 14-day quarantine is necessary upon arriving in the US, we'll hopefully still be able to travel end of March.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...-safety-in-domestic-and-international-travel/
"...the feasibility of implementing alternative and sufficiently protective public health measures, such as testing, self-quarantine, and self-isolation on arrival, for travelers entering the United States from countries where COVID-19 tests are inaccessible."

Directly from the White House site.

So it would seem that Canadians arriving in the U.S. with a valid negative Covid test result administered 72 hours or less prior to arrival in the U.S. from Canada will NOT be subject to self-isolation/quarantine?

I was able to push my trip to end of March. So an entire year almost from the original April 2020. If we miss this we'll lose everything. We MIGHT be able to transfer our points to RCI? Not sure yet. But if this is true, seemingly as it's direct from the White House, that no 14-day quarantine is necessary upon arriving in the US, we'll hopefully still be able to travel end of March.

Canada has sufficient testing abilities.

Canada has sufficient testing abilities.
Exactly. Which is why I'm seeing it reported elsewhere that Canadians wouldn't have to quarantine upon arrival in the US as long as we show proof of a negative test 72hrs or less. Those who do NOT have sufficient testing would then have to quarantine.

It's all somewhat confusing when you see so much being put differently from different sources. We'll see exactly how it will all be implemented in the coming days/weeks/months and from those travelling. As well as how it will be enforced. Especially in the case of a place like WDW....will it apply to your hotel room? Disney grounds? Orange County? I'm reading so much misinformation right now on this subject.

Last edited:
Exactly. Which is why I'm seeing it reported elsewhere that Canadians wouldn't have to quarantine upon arrival in the US as long as we show proof of a negative test 72hrs or less. Those who do NOT have sufficient testing would then have to quarantine.

It's all somewhat confusing when you see so much being put differently from different sources. We'll see exactly how it will all be implemented in the coming days/weeks/months and from those travelling. As well as how it will be enforced. Especially in the case of a place like WDW.

I interpreted it differently. Have you seen any news sites saying Canada would be exempt? Most places I'm seeing are saying all travellers, even Americans returning from abroad. Hopefully, you're right because I'm booked to leave at the end of February. This will be the third time we have changed. I don't feel like it will happen but I'm holding onto a sliver of hope.

I interpreted it differently. Have you seen any news sites saying Canada would be exempt? Most places I'm seeing are saying all travellers, even Americans returning from abroad. Hopefully, you're right because I'm booked to leave at the end of February. This will be the third time we have changed. I don't feel like it will happen but I'm holding onto a sliver of hope.

Even if you don’t have to quarantine I gotta ask. Why would you even risk it? The rules can change at any time. And we are being asked not to travel. I get cancelling sucks. We had to cancel last March and have bailed on 2 possible re do trips already. But Disney will be there in the future.

Even if you don’t have to quarantine I gotta ask. Why would you even risk it? The rules can change at any time. And we are being asked not to travel. I get cancelling sucks. We had to cancel last March and have bailed on 2 possible re do trips already. But Disney will be there in the future.

In all honesty, and I mean this is the nicest possible way, my reason for traveling is no one's business. It's not in my nature to question someone else's choices if they're following the RULES. I have no issues with complying and following every rule the government puts forth. As someone, who has created a business out of traveling, I welcome testing. My business will eventually be gone if travel doesn't take off again. If the USA requires visitors to quarantine I will change the dates.

(a) Policy. It is the policy of my Administration that, to the extent feasible, travelers seeking to enter the United States from a foreign country shall be:
(i) required to produce proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test prior to entry; and
(ii) required to comply with other applicable CDC guidelines concerning international travel, including recommended periods of self-quarantine or self-isolation after entry into the United States.

My interpretation of this section is that any international travellers will be subject to both pre-entry testing requirements and quarantine, of which the length will follow the recommendations set out by the CDC at the time of travel. I honestly can’t see any avenue of exemptions for Canadians here.

I agree. My interpretation of the order is the same as yours, going to the States will require the same precautions that travellers are required to have to come to Canada. 1. negative Covid test and 2. quarantine period (to be determined by CDC).

Personally, I'm not making any arrangements to travel south of the border until after I've had the vaccine and all of the travel restrictions have been lifted. Travel in Canada for a year or so will be a refreshing change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter